Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tombo7

weight gain and acne?

Okay so i start a weight gaining program to build some mass over the last week and right when i started, i notice my acne (which was improving with the regimen) started to return! My chin erupted this week and the scars are getting "darker" and more noticeable. My body broke out too especially my chest and shoulders. I don't know what is going on.

The only thing i added to my diet was protein shakes mixed with milk. Is this the cause? I'm so confused...the regimen isn't really helping it. I notice before that when i breakout it goes away in a day or two with the BP but now it takes much longer...Does this happen to anyone else? I'd appreciate any advice. thanks

Okay so i start a weight gaining program to build some mass over the last week and right when i started, i notice my acne (which was improving with the regimen) started to return! My chin erupted this week and the scars are getting "darker" and more noticeable. My body broke out too especially my chest and shoulders. I don't know what is going on.

The only thing i added to my diet was protein shakes mixed with milk. Is this the cause? I'm so confused...the regimen isn't really helping it. I notice before that when i breakout it goes away in a day or two with the BP but now it takes much longer...Does this happen to anyone else? I'd appreciate any advice. thanks

You're body-building correct? Well all that exercise has triggered your body to up it's testosterone, that while may help in gaining muscle, also contributes to acne (I've heard it referred to as bodybuilder's acne and there is even a forum dedicated to this). I assume you're not going to stop your exercise routine so just stick with the regimen and make sure you are being diligent about doing it every 12 hours no matter what. Watch Dan's videos on the blogs and make sure you are following each step to the letter, and remember to be gentle gentle gentle! If I'm assuming wrong and you're simply drinking protein shakes to put on weight I would watch what exactly is in the powder you're using. Stay away from soy protein (at least men anyway) since it contains bio-identical female hormones, which in turn if taken by a male, will trigger your body to produce the acne causing androgen testosterone. Did you know cow's milk also contains hormones? I don't drink the stuff because I'm lactose-intolerant, but I read a study that loosely connected the female hormones found in milk to "man-boobs." Something to think about... Here are a few suggestions, but please respond and let me know what kind of protein powder you're mixing with the milk, how often you drink this, and in what quantities. My sister is a nutritionist, so I can consult with her on this. I was trying to do meal replacement shakes for weight loss a few months ago and here are a few things she suggested:

Jay Robb (brand) egg white protein powder (they make a brown rice, and vegetable protein powder as well. These are all lactose free, gluten free, sugar free and are sweetened with stevia. they taste great in chocolate if you ask me but plain isn't nasty at all especially with some almond butter, or a banana) - can be found at Whole Foods or at his website which I can't post a link to, but feel free to google the name. STAY AWAY FROM THE SOY TYPE

If you'd still like to up your protein, switch out milk for almond milk, and add almond butter as opposed to peanut butter. Both are packed with protein and healthy fats. Nothing wrong with a table spoon or more of cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Grapeseed Oil. These you can find at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (or Henry's)

I'll add more when my sister gets back to me which I hope will be sooner rather than later

Good Luck!

Yep its probably the increase of food and lifting weights.

I started something similar to you and I got back and chest acne, and my face exploded, hence why I found this side initially.

You're body-building correct? Well all that exercise has triggered your body to up it's testosterone, that while may help in gaining muscle, also contributes to acne (I've heard it referred to as bodybuilder's acne and there is even a forum dedicated to this). I assume you're not going to stop your exercise routine so just stick with the regimen and make sure you are being diligent about doing it every 12 hours no matter what. Watch Dan's videos on the blogs and make sure you are following each step to the letter, and remember to be gentle gentle gentle! If I'm assuming wrong and you're simply drinking protein shakes to put on weight I would watch what exactly is in the powder you're using. Stay away from soy protein (at least men anyway) since it contains bio-identical female hormones, which in turn if taken by a male, will trigger your body to produce the acne causing androgen testosterone. Did you know cow's milk also contains hormones? I don't drink the stuff because I'm lactose-intolerant, but I read a study that loosely connected the female hormones found in milk to "man-boobs." Something to think about... Here are a few suggestions, but please respond and let me know what kind of protein powder you're mixing with the milk, how often you drink this, and in what quantities. My sister is a nutritionist, so I can consult with her on this. I was trying to do meal replacement shakes for weight loss a few months ago and here are a few things she suggested:

Jay Robb (brand) egg white protein powder (they make a brown rice, and vegetable protein powder as well. These are all lactose free, gluten free, sugar free and are sweetened with stevia. they taste great in chocolate if you ask me but plain isn't nasty at all especially with some almond butter, or a banana) - can be found at Whole Foods or at his website which I can't post a link to, but feel free to google the name. STAY AWAY FROM THE SOY TYPE

If you'd still like to up your protein, switch out milk for almond milk, and add almond butter as opposed to peanut butter. Both are packed with protein and healthy fats. Nothing wrong with a table spoon or more of cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Grapeseed Oil. These you can find at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (or Henry's)

I'll add more when my sister gets back to me which I hope will be sooner rather than later

Good Luck!

How interesting. Thanks so much for the thorough reply. I am body building at the time. The protein powder i'm using is 100% whey. I do follow the regimen precisely and my routine has not changed. The only things that haev changed was the addition of whey protein shakes, which i take about three times a day (85g) and i've upped my calorie intake. I've been hearing a lot about how milk contributes to acne so whats the difference with almond milk and regular milk? Btw, i drink fat free milk. Does that matter? Or is it just as much a factor to acne as regular milk? So is diet my main worry?

P.S: I tried looking for the thread about body building acne but i can't seem to find it. Could you link it here, please? Thanks so much.

I started something similar to you and I got back and chest acne, and my face exploded, hence why I found this side initially.

So did the regimen help with the acne? Or what did you do to get rid of it?

So did the regimen help with the acne? Or what did you do to get rid of it?

almond milk give you all the benefits in cow's milk and soy milk with none of the female hormones, which as I mentioned can trigger your body to produce more testosterone and thus more acne. It's lower in calories but contains a fair amount of vitamins, minerals and protein. If I were you I would use the brown rice protein powder with juice, water, or almond milk. Also, depending on how long you've been on the regimen, you may not see results for 4,5-8 weeks. Since you're triggering your testosterone quite a bit, you can expect that your acne will respond accordingly. I can't link, since Im considered a new member but just google "bodybuilder's acne" and you should get a result from a site from muscletalk.co.uk

has your body fat percentage increased as well?

i've got a weight scale that also measures body fat and water percentage.

I noticed that i broke out less often and with less severity when my body fat percentage dropped quite a bit. ( from roughly 20% to roughly 15%)

i know body fat can effect hormones.

so maybe an increase in body fat for you is causing some new acne?

just a thought.

i wouldn't doubt all these other theories about your shakes and milk and diet that the other posters have replied about either! diet is usually always a big factor!