Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
X3Kell3X

Pimples take a month to 2 months to form??!!!

so i was just surfing the internet and i came across that pimples (papules etc..) take a month to two months to form. Is this really true?? If it is then why do people always go "Oh my god, that french fry i ate last night made me break out, " or "oh no that makeup i bought yesterday is breaking me out" If it really takes a month to two months to form, then how can someone say that? and how can they pin point if something specific is causing their break outs like a cleasner, cream, or makeup.. And for accutane.. im on my third month and im still breaking out. but the people who clear up in two weeks.. how is that possible if acne has been forming for months under their skin?? im so lost. can someone clear this up for me??

So say i bought a new makeup last week, could that be causing my breakouts now? or was it something from a month ago.

Yes, it is generally true that it takes pimples about 6-8 wks to form. Pimples first start off as tiny microcomedones in the skin - tiny clogged pores that you can't see or feel. As skin cells continue to shed in the pore and oil gets trapped, these microcomedones grow larger until they are either noticeable as a noninflamed lesions (whitehead or blackhead) or until they burst open the follicle wall, at which time they become noticable inflamed pimples (pustules, papules, etc.). This is the stage where most people first notice them - when they start to get inflamed, fill with pus, etc.

It generally takes about 6-8 wks for a comedone to form and become noticeable - it doesn't happen overnight. The inflammation of the comedones may seem to happen rather suddenly, but that spot was brewing under the skin long before you saw it.

Most of the time, whatever you did yesterday did not cause the pimple you got this morning. There are some exceptions - allergic reactions to a food, or something that may have induced inflammation in existing closed comedones (e.g., irritation of the skin, etc.). People just tend to want to see a cause and effect from what they did yesterday, even if there is no real connection between the two.

I have a good descrption of how the different types of lesions form. Let me look for it and I will post it for you.

Yes, it is generally true that it takes pimples about 6-8 wks to form. Pimples first start off as tiny microcomedones in the skin - tiny clogged pores that you can't see or feel. As skin cells continue to shed in the pore and oil gets trapped, these microcomedones grow larger until they are either noticeable as a noninflamed lesions (whitehead or blackhead) or until they burst open the follicle wall, at which time they become noticable inflamed pimples (pustules, papules, etc.). This is the stage where most people first notice them - when they start to get inflamed, fill with pus, etc.

It generally takes about 6-8 wks for a comedone to form and become noticeable - it doesn't happen overnight. The inflammation of the comedones may seem to happen rather suddenly, but that spot was brewing under the skin long before you saw it.

Most of the time, whatever you did yesterday did not cause the pimple you got this morning. There are some exceptions - allergic reactions to a food, or something that may have induced inflammation in existing closed comedones (e.g., irritation of the skin, etc.). People just tend to want to see a cause and effect from what they did yesterday, even if there is no real connection between the two.

I have a good descrption of how the different types of lesions form. Let me look for it and I will post it for you.

Okay, so i started using a new makeup last week and now im breaking out with painful, inflammed pimples on my forehead. Since it takes 6 to 8 weeks for the pimples to form does that mean the makeup isn't causing it??? Its really been under my skin all along?? And is that the reason accutane takes a while to work, cuz it has to kill everything underneath?? That makes it tricky to pinpoint whats breaking you out...

Okay, so i started using a new makeup last week and now im breaking out with painful, inflammed pimples on my forehead. Since it takes 6 to 8 weeks for the pimples to form does that mean the makeup isn't causing it??? Its really been under my skin all along?? And is that the reason accutane takes a while to work, cuz it has to kill everything underneath?? That makes it tricky to pinpoint whats breaking you out...

Its possible that the makeup is irritating your skin, which may be contributing to the inflamation of any active lesions that were already there and if the makeup is also comedogenic, it might be making things worse too. Or I guess you could be having an allergic reaction. What makeup is it? Do you normally get breakouts on your forehead?

Yes, this is the reason it takes accutane (or any other acne treatment) time to work - it has to clear out any obvious, existing acne plus all those other lesions that have just started to form. That's why you hear people saying you need to give any new acne medication, such as retinoids, at least a couple of months to work before you decide if its helping or not.

It does make it hard to pinpoint what is causing the problem - you are absolutely right! Since it is hard to tell, its a good idea to not start too many new products or treatments at once (a mistake lots of people make!).

Its possible that the makeup is irritating your skin, which may be contributing to the inflamation of any active lesions that were already there and if the makeup is also comedogenic, it might be making things worse too. Or I guess you could be having an allergic reaction. What makeup is it? Do you normally get breakouts on your forehead?

Yes, this is the reason it takes accutane (or any other acne treatment) time to work - it has to clear out any obvious, existing acne plus all those other lesions that have just started to form. That's why you hear people saying you need to give any new acne medication, such as retinoids, at least a couple of months to work before you decide if its helping or not.

It does make it hard to pinpoint what is causing the problem - you are absolutely right! Since it is hard to tell, its a good idea to not start too many new products or treatments at once (a mistake lots of people make!).

Its Clinique Almost Powder Makeup with SPF which is good since im on accutane. It says its oil free and i asked the lady at the counter if it would break me out and she said no. i hope she knew what she was talking about... I also started using Purpose Gentle Cleanser to take off the makeup at night. I have heard lots of good things about it so i don't think thats it. Then i just use Cetaphil gentle cleasner in the morning and i have for a long time as well as CeraVe moisturizer. And yes my forehead is my worst spot along with my chin. My cheeks r basically clear expect for the occasional pimple that doesn't last long. I used physicans formula mineral makeup a month or so ago and it made me breakout on my cheeks and i got huge cysts on my forehead and chin that have now left horrible scars. But the fact that i broke out on my cheeks where i normally don't gave me the idea that it could be physicians formula so i stopped using it. Also, right now, i have been using differin as a spot treatment because i was on it before i went on accutane. Could that be making it worse? I only put it on the pimples and my skin isn't too dry. All i have to use is the CeraVe and its moisturized. Oh and i don't think the makeup is giving me an allergic reaction because my skin actually seems less red than when it was when i was using everyday minerals. (mineral makeup dried me out once i was on accutane) Could these breakouts possibly be lesions that were building up when i was using the physicians formula??

Its Clinique Almost Powder Makeup with SPF which is good since im on accutane. It says its oil free and i asked the lady at the counter if it would break me out and she said no. i hope she knew what she was talking about... I also started using Purpose Gentle Cleanser to take off the makeup at night. I have heard lots of good things about it so i don't think thats it. Then i just use Cetaphil gentle cleasner in the morning and i have for a long time as well as CeraVe moisturizer. And yes my forehead is my worst spot along with my chin. My cheeks r basically clear expect for the occasional pimple that doesn't last long. I used physicans formula mineral makeup a month or so ago and it made me breakout on my cheeks and i got huge cysts on my forehead and chin that have now left horrible scars. But the fact that i broke out on my cheeks where i normally don't gave me the idea that it could be physicians formula so i stopped using it. Also, right now, i have been using differin as a spot treatment because i was on it before i went on accutane. Could that be making it worse? I only put it on the pimples and my skin isn't too dry. All i have to use is the CeraVe and its moisturized. Oh and i don't think the makeup is giving me an allergic reaction because my skin actually seems less red than when it was when i was using everyday minerals. (mineral makeup dried me out once i was on accutane) Could these breakouts possibly be lesions that were building up when i was using the physicians formula??

The Physician's formula makeup doesn't get great reviews on makeupalley.com - some people did say it broke them out. It looks like it has a lot of silicone based ingredients, which bother some people's skin. How long have you been using the CeraVe moisturizer? It contains a pair of ingredients that when used together are very comedogenic: Ceteareth 20 and Cetearyl Alcohol. That might be contributing to your breakouts.

You also mentioned being on Accutane? How long have you been on it? I am wondering if you might be experience the initial breakout that lots of people get on Accutane. It seems to be pretty common for accutane users.

I don't know if using Differin while on Accutane is a good idea - has your doctor approved using both at the same time? Differin also doesn't work well as a spot treatment - its one of those that needs to be used all over (not just on existing pimples) on a regular basis for it to be effective. I would hold off on using it if your doctor hasn't told you its ok to use while on Accutane though.

I wish I didnt read this. I go back to school in a few weeks and my face actually looks ok right now. But now I realize I got 2 months of acne to fight with. Kill me now.

does this apply to antibotics too? :C

like if some1 goes off antibiotics, they are still clear for the first 6weeks off since they took them in that period? then it comes back?

does this apply to antibotics too? :C

like if some1 goes off antibiotics, they are still clear for the first 6weeks off since they took them in that period? then it comes back?

Its possible, but it probably doesn't happen to everyone coming off antibiotics. Some people may have outgrown their acne while they were on antibiotics, so they may not see any acne flare ups. It also depends on if you are on anything else besides the antibiotics (like a retinoid, BPO, etc.). Antibiotics only work on one part of the acne problem - they kill bacteria and reduce inflamation, however they don't do much at preventing or reducing clogged pores. If you are only on antibiotics there still may be clogged pores under the skin that the antibiotics were preventing from flaring up. In those cases, the acne may come back very quickly.

This is an excerpt from Marc Lees book "Skin Care Beyond the Basics" on the development of differnet types of acne lesions.

Noninflammatory and Inflammatory Acne Lesions

As cells build up on the inside of the follicle wall they form a small impaction called a microcomedo. Microcomedones are actually a mixture of dead cells, bacteria, fatty acids from sebum, and other cellular debris. Microcomedones are not visible to the naked eye. They cannot be seen without a microscope. They continue to retain more and more of the mixture of dead cells, sebum, and bacteria, until they become a visible lesion under the surface of the skin.

There is a point in the development of the impaction where the microcomedo either becomes an inflammatory or noninflammatory lesion. Noninflammatory means that the impaction is not red or inflamed. Examples of noninflammatory lesions are open comedones (blackheads) and closed comedones (whiteheads).

Open comedones occur when the follicle is large enough to hold all of the debris retained by the follicle. The ostium, or opening, in these follicles is dilated by the mass of the impaction, allowing the comedo to push toward the surface opening.

Proprionbacterium acnes (p. acnes) is the scientific name of the bacteria that causes acne vulgaris. Open comedones do not encourage development of this bacterial growth because the follicle opening is large enough to expose the follicle to oxygen. The oxygen is also what causes the blackhead to form at the exposed part of the impaction. This darkening is caused by the exposure of the top of the comedo to the oxygen in the air outside the follicle. The sebum turns a brown color, similar to the way mayonnaise will turn yellow if left out on a picnic table for a period of time. The darkness is also caused by clumps of melanin (skin pigment) present in the dead cells in the comdeo. This theory is easily demonstrated by observing an extracted open comedo. It is a solid cylindrical plug, topped by a dark area that gets lighter as the deeper parts of the impaction are extracted.

Open comedones, therefore, rarely develop into inflammatory lesions. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for closed comedones. Closed comedones have very small pore openings, which prevents oxygen from readily penetrating the follicle. The walls of the follicle stretch to hold the contents of the impaction, but the follicle opening does not. Because of this lack of oxygen, the lesions can easily become inflamed due to the increasing numbers of bacteria multiplying in the anaerobic environment.

Closed comedones are easily recognizable. They are small underground bumps and are not easily extracted. They are frequently associated with the use of comedogenic cosmetics, as indicated in the blush line of some women.

When enough bacteria form inside the closed comedo and the impaction becomes large enough, a small tear occurs in the follicle wall, which stimulates the immune system to investigate, releasing white blood cells into the area. This begins the inflammatory process.

A papule is a red, sore bump without a whitehead (no pus). This is the beginning of the rescue by the white blood cells. When enough white blood cells arrive, they may form a clump and rise to the surface, creating what is known as a pustule. Pus is the common name for this clump of white blood cells. For practical purposes, a papule is often described by the client as a large, red, sore bump that never comes to a head. Papules seem sometimes to magically disappear. This is because the immune system has won the battle and disposed of the remains through normal blood excretion. Papules affect the nerve endings more than pustules because they are deeper in the skin. This explains the soreness. Pustules have migrated the impaction toward the skin surface, dilating the follicle opening and relieving the pressure on the nerve endings, resulting in less pain.

A nodule is similar to a papule, but is deeper in the skin and feels very solid and sore. Cysts are deep infections caused by a deep, massive invasion of white blood cells. They are very pustular and very large.

The Physician's formula makeup doesn't get great reviews on makeupalley.com - some people did say it broke them out. It looks like it has a lot of silicone based ingredients, which bother some people's skin. How long have you been using the CeraVe moisturizer? It contains a pair of ingredients that when used together are very comedogenic: Ceteareth 20 and Cetearyl Alcohol. That might be contributing to your breakouts.

You also mentioned being on Accutane? How long have you been on it? I am wondering if you might be experience the initial breakout that lots of people get on Accutane. It seems to be pretty common for accutane users.

I don't know if using Differin while on Accutane is a good idea - has your doctor approved using both at the same time? Differin also doesn't work well as a spot treatment - its one of those that needs to be used all over (not just on existing pimples) on a regular basis for it to be effective. I would hold off on using it if your doctor hasn't told you its ok to use while on Accutane though.

Yeah, i hated physicans formula and can you believe? my derm recommended it!!! seriously? haha And im going to stop using the differin because my Derm didn't approve it, i just read about it on one of the information sheets she gave me that a topical could be used as a spot treatment. I am in the first week of my third month of accutane. I was on 40mg for the first two months and i had a bad IB. Then i had the breakout with Physicians formula... By the end of the second month it seemed to be slowly getting better. I went back to the derm and was bumped up to 60mg a day. And a few days later i broke out pretty bad again. Now im guessing the 60mg just brought more acne that was under my skin to a head. Could that be it?

Okay, that cleared alot up for me. I never knew the pus was white blood cells! and i never knew why they hurt so much. Oh and CeraVe, i don't think thats it, ive been using it for quite some time..Do people usually break out from it??