Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nmr

Somebody help - its only getting worse :(

I'm really starting to despair here.

I'm 26 yr female and my acne only seems to be getting worse (not better) with time. I have struggled with it all my life but it has "changed" since the type when I was a teenage. During those days, I didn't have all the dark spots, it was localized to in between my eyebrows and forehead, maybe nose. Now its all over my chin and jaw line (rarely on my forehead actually) and all over my neck. Getting worse from college to now grad school. Within the past few months, there has been a new, never before finding - acne on my back!! And now occasionally sometimes on my chest???

Seriously, what the heck. I had a doctors appointment last week - i've seen so many dermatologists. I just cancelled the apt because I knew what they'd say. Last doc, measured my hormones. Testosterone was on the very high end of normal. So was DHEAS. She recommended accutane but seemed to just be saying that without actually examining my situation and caring. An endocrinologist I spoke to once said I could try spironolactone or BCP for the acne and hirsuitism (that I have developed the past few years).

I guess at this point, I don't want to overload my body with pills and hormones. If I take these drugs, the question is, will they work? If so, once I come off of them will it be back to the same situation? If so, then whats the point? I was once (over 10 years ago) on oral antibiotics - skin cleared right up. The moment I was off of them, different story.

I bought a bunch of vitamins - zinc, folic acid, vit d, vit b complex - when I was feeling motivated that vitamins may help. I have a pretty healthy diet already but have gotten so discouraged that I didn't even try taking them to give it a chance.

Any suggestions? Anyone in the same boat? Anyone with experience that can help?

I very much feel your frustrations and I am so sorry you are struggling.

Your acne sounds hormonal and perhaps you have PCOS based on your symptoms. What are you using for topical treatment? Perhaps you can start with Dan's regimen. I think you are going to need more help to get your acne under control - and that may at some point involve taking some type of medication. You may want to work with topicals for the time being.

A lot of women on this board are in your position and trying to find solutions - me included. Good luck and you will find a lot of support here!

I had a full workup done that excluded PSOS. Blood work and ultrasound by a reputable doctor.

Should I start taking all those vitamins?

In terms of topicals, sometimes I use LaRoche Posay's night cream and toner I was Mario Badescu (his products seem to work "well" for me).

Any suggestions on what I should be trying? Two things that have been absolutely beyond awful for my skin have been proactive and retin A creams.

You can start taking vitamins but I don't know how much or little they will help your acne. I started taking some excellent supplements last fall and they have done nothing for my breakouts (vit d, calcium, multivitamin, fish oil, primrose oil). They do make my nails and hair grow :D . I hear you on the retin a - it was too harsh for me and I have never used proactive.

I do think you need to start with some topicals. I am using SA washes and BP - sort of like Dan's regimen. I think with consistent use of products for a couple of weeks you will know if they are going to start working or not. I am not sure if your LRP has any acne fighting properties but MB does - are you spot treating or treating your entire face? If you are not getting any success with topicals, I suggest you seriously considering going back to the dermatologist - find an office where you feel comfortable that will help with your treatment.

I feel "funnier" about putting hormones in my body than accutane. I don't know why.. Don't get me wrong, I don't exactly feel great about accutane, but I took the plunge. Time will tell if it was the right choice. So far, so good but I'm only about 5 1/2 weeks in.

I would take your test results to a derm and see what they think. You're lucky that a doc tested you for that! I've never had anyone offer to do those. I'd have jumped at the chance. Since the 2 things mentioned were hormone therapy (BCP/ Spiro) and accutane, I'd research both of those, the side effects, long term effects, etc. and see which you feel better about. Browse the

message boards on those topics. Good luck!

Have you tried a blood sugar stabilizing diet habits? As excess insulin both stimulates testosterone production and SHBG which binds up testosterone making them harmless.

Go here for more info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...an-t230714.html on the many ways diet and lifestyle affects hormones and acne and what to do about them.

Diet cleared my skin within 2 months after a decade of dermatologists and all kinds of prescriptions including accutane did absolutely nothing.

Hi

I am sad to hear of your sadness. You should try the vitamins as they can regulate your sugar levels. I have been taking Niacin for 2 weeks and it has helped me 80-90%.

I will add a picture tomorrow, as my PC is down.

My full regimen is on my Blog's latest entry [today].

A book that may help is You are what you eat, Gillian Mckeith.

hi there! i know what you're going through- i rarely use that phrase but reading your post about your acne worsening as you age sounds soo familiar to me..since i am suffering from that as well, i just turned 28 and these past few months my acne worsen, specifically in my chin and jaw line area which i never had before ( if i do it's only little bumps here and there) but now they're huge, super red and painful. I also see some on my back and chest now which i also never had before.

anyways I wish you all the best and hopefully we do find the cure for our acne that would last forever not just for now.

hugs!

I'm really starting to despair here.

I'm 26 yr female and my acne only seems to be getting worse (not better) with time. I have struggled with it all my life but it has "changed" since the type when I was a teenage. During those days, I didn't have all the dark spots, it was localized to in between my eyebrows and forehead, maybe nose. Now its all over my chin and jaw line (rarely on my forehead actually) and all over my neck. Getting worse from college to now grad school. Within the past few months, there has been a new, never before finding - acne on my back!! And now occasionally sometimes on my chest???

Seriously, what the heck. I had a doctors appointment last week - i've seen so many dermatologists. I just cancelled the apt because I knew what they'd say. Last doc, measured my hormones. Testosterone was on the very high end of normal. So was DHEAS. She recommended accutane but seemed to just be saying that without actually examining my situation and caring. An endocrinologist I spoke to once said I could try spironolactone or BCP for the acne and hirsuitism (that I have developed the past few years).

I guess at this point, I don't want to overload my body with pills and hormones. If I take these drugs, the question is, will they work? If so, once I come off of them will it be back to the same situation? If so, then whats the point? I was once (over 10 years ago) on oral antibiotics - skin cleared right up. The moment I was off of them, different story.

I bought a bunch of vitamins - zinc, folic acid, vit d, vit b complex - when I was feeling motivated that vitamins may help. I have a pretty healthy diet already but have gotten so discouraged that I didn't even try taking them to give it a chance.

Any suggestions? Anyone in the same boat? Anyone with experience that can help?

Hey there,

I was in the same boat as you, I suffered sever acne from 17-27 but I am finally now clear and every time I do get a pimple (which is very rare) I know the exact reason why.

1 strong recommendation: DO NOT TAKE ANY MEDICATION, and don't listen to dermatologists please, I've seen half a dozen of them and none of them cured my acne.

Please take a look at my regimen, the link is in my signature.

Have a read and let me know if you have any questions.

K

what type of filter did you use? did it have to be permanently installed or can it be removed if you move to another apt/house?

what type of filter did you use? did it have to be permanently installed or can it be removed if you move to another apt/house?

I got a filter from Korea from a brand called ALPS. It is not one you connect to your tap, its more like a water dispenser you would find in an office. It holds around 14 liters.

I also have one of those smaller BRITA 2 liter filters I dont think it really does much.

K

I know how you feel. I thought i would grow out of it after my teens but that has not happend.

Hey there,

I was in the same boat as you, I suffered sever acne from 17-27 but I am finally now clear and every time I do get a pimple (which is very rare) I know the exact reason why.

1 strong recommendation: DO NOT TAKE ANY MEDICATION, and don't listen to dermatologists please, I've seen half a dozen of them and none of them cured my acne.

K

I know how you feel. I thought i would grow out of it after my teens but that has not happend.

Hey there,

K

Intresting you make some good points. Did you work all this out by yourself?

Hey there,

No not all by myself, but it started with myself.

Believe it or not it all started with a change in thinking and learning about the Laws of the Universe (I hope thats not too weird for you ^_^) and then all the people and all the information I needed to get myself clear just came my way.

I spent a decade with my old thinking patterns fiddling around with medications and dermatologists with no results and after changing myself from within, it only took me a bit over a year to get completely clear.

Now that I am out of my acne hell, the cure seems so simple but I can understand how hard it is to realize how simple it is with all these 'miracle cures' out there like creams, pills, ancient remedies etc.

K

Have you tried a blood sugar stabilizing diet habits? As excess insulin both stimulates testosterone production and SHBG which binds up testosterone making them harmless.

Go here for more info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...an-t230714.html on the many ways diet and lifestyle affects acne and what to do about them.

Diet cleared my skin within 2 months after a decade of dermatologists and all kinds of prescriptions including accutane did absolutely nothing.

Also, my cystic acne in those same areas - jawline, neck, plus all along hairline and on back and chest, turned out to be a reaction to citrus. You should consider food intolerances. Try to figure them out with an elimination diet.

BTW, most teen acne starts on the forehead and later moves down.

So i am currently in the same situation, though a few things seem to help for me. My acne was so bad that I went to school for skin care just to try to figure out how to "cure" my own skin. Was clear for a while but it is back with a vengeance!! For supplements Murad actually has one called Pure Skin, it's all the vitamins and such that are supposed to help with acne in 1 place, which is handy. I have been using them about a month and they seem to be helping quite a bit. My skin care is almost exclusively Dermalogica...it's working very well for me. They have an entire adult acne system. Another idea, depending on how much you wanna spend, is to think about getting a high frequency machine. You can buy portables for 2 or 3 hundred but the electricity helps to heal lesions and forces oxygen into your pores...and since bacteria can't like in oxygen...it helps a ton!! If you ever get facials, ask them for high frequency treatment and to use the "ozone" on the steam machine. "Ozone" has an anti-bac effect.

It makes sense, you get out what you put in.

Hard to chance your lifestyle but i guess its a question of how much you want it.

You're exactly right, it depends on how much you want it. I had acne very bad... so it made me want clear skin very bad.

Changing your lifestyle is hard compared to taking medication twice a day, but it really isn't that difficult if having clear skin is something you REALLY want.

K