Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MarifreakinA

Anyone else out there read reviews on hormonal treatments?

Guest MarifreakinA

I'll tell you, one thing that gets me nervous about starting a new birth control method or anything like that are the reviews! Usually, I can't help but read them, it's such a bad habit, and they really do psych you out.

Well, I am about to go on NuvaRing either tomorrow or Monday (since oral BC methods do murder for my stomach), but I am absolutely terrified. I've read so many bad reviews about it, and the bad reviews make me nervous and irritated because of the fact that I want to try it but I'm terribly scared of what's going to happen.

I understand people only usually write reviews because they had a bad experience and there are usually more good experiences than bad, it's just the people who have had a good experience don't write about it.

So then I started looking up other birth controls, Yasmin, Alesse, Yaz, etc, ALMOST ALL THE COMMENTS ARE BAD!!

I'm thinking to myself, why do women do this?! It's ridiculous, just because it didn't work for them doesn't mean it's not going to work for someone else! Are they trying to scare other women out of taking that medication?

I'm starting to think that the comments are written by nuns trying to scare women out of having sex.

But I'm just wondering, does anyone else do this?

And if so, how do you get the bad reviews off of your mind when you're starting a new product, because I don't want to go on the NuvaRing and start thinking that I'm having the bad side effects that I read about but I'm really not.

The internet is a scary place.

Link to post

Yeah, I read them. It's almost like a hobby now. The only one that seems to get more good reviews than bad is spironolactone.

Disagree.

If you read the reviews on here it's all the same stuff, like a lot of women talk about depression, anxiety, all that stuff.

I mean, I'm sure if it's clearing up their acne they will write good reviews and deal with the bad stuff, but if it does nothing it seems 10x worse.

Hi,

You should think about an IUS (intrauterine system) like Mirena. Some doctors will tell you it's not suitable for women who have not had children, but that's not true - it's just easier to fit after childbirth. It can be done without an anaesthetic, a bit like having a pap smear.

The level of hormone in the bloodstream is low, and you don't get the estrogen-related side effects (bloating, sore boobs etc) as it only contains a progestogen.

You can use spiro with it, but not birth control pills. It would be worth discussing with your OBGYN. It's worked very well for me.

Good luck!

Disagree.

I didn't mean the reviews on here. If you google "spironolactone reviews" and click on the 2nd link, that's the reviews I was talking about. Yeah there are some posters with side effects but if you are talking acne clearing results, it's all there. I think the pros far outweigh the cons of any other acne fighter I have ever googled. There are certainly side effects with every drug on the planet. I also think it's very important to maintain excellent nutrition and keep up with your Vit B compex vitamins when on hormonal control products. The pill depletes the body of many nutrients and I think that's where the problems may start. Plus, people do who knows what to their bodies while taking meds. Drinking excessively, eating excessively, other drugs and just not taking good care of themselves IMHO.

Link to post

Oh, just went there again and I guess it is an acne.org compilation of reviews. Like 54 pages of them.

Link to post

I always read reviews. Like...on everything I use. Haha.

But yeah, after all these years I'm finally about to get on BC and I am scared to death! It effects everyone so differently. I'm very nervous about how it'll effect me. I guess in that sense, reading the reviews is somewhat pointless. But that doesn't stop me.

I try to keep in mind my many, many pals who are on BC that have never had a bad word to say. Still, I'm scared that it'll make my acne worse or my boobs will get ten times bigger or this or that...you know the drill. T_T

Guest MarifreakinA

You're definitely right Boston50, you never know what people do to their bodies. I do maintain a good nutrition, I don't drink, smoke, eat excessively, and I take vitamins everyday (centrum cardio baby!).

As for Mirena, I have read so many reviews on that thing and it just doesn't seem worth it. Maybe if I like NuvaRing I might switch to Mirena, since it is more permanent, but that's what I'm scared of.

I'm not scared to try NuvaRing because I'm hoping my stomach problems will go away, because it would be heavenly if they did.

Trppspawn, I'm always thinking the same things, I was thinking about all the girls I knew from school who were on bc and didn't have any problems what-so ever. I think some women are just looking for attention, and I also think they are quick to blame and don't think about their lives.

Link to post

Agreed. Besides, when we start messing with our biology, it's natural we're going to have to be willing to accept some potential side effects and whatnot.

Link to post

Oh man, does this ever describe me to a "T". I read reviews on EVERYTHING.......and I mean EVERYTHING. I agree with you guys that of course people are going to post about the bad...........but hopefully for every bad case scenerio there are 15 good scenerios. It sucks reading some of this crap though because it really can syke a person out lol. Everyone's body is different, so it's a trial and error process I guess..........but how frustrating :shifty:

Very frustrating.

Before I got my first BC pill, I would go online all the time and read reviews, it was like I was addicted!

Then before I started NuvaRing I would read reviews, a few bad reviews and my heart would start to pound, and I would almost want to cry because I was so terrified.

A few days ago while I was reading reviews I turned to my boyfriend, who was on my other computer, and told him I was terrified to start it. He told me to stop reading the reviews and that you can't read reviews on stuff like that because it's not always legitimate. He told me that sometimes competitors will post bad comments about the product to get people to turn away from it. It really does make sense though! After he told me that I felt 100% better, I would still read reviews, but I would roll my eyes and tell myself that women complain too much.

First of all, a review I had read said NuvaRing was hard to insert, she said it was like a plastic ring that you could feel while it was inserted. So I'm at my chair thinking "what...Is this NuvaRing like a little plastic ring that you would find on a soda bottle?" I was horrified.

When I opened the packet however, this was not the case, it was a soft, jelly like ring that didn't feel like plastic at all. It was a breeze to put in, and it stays in it's place.

Reviews are stupid, and women should not be allowed to post reviews about birth control, since they only know what it's like for themselves.