Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1awesome

BP - Pros, Cons, Alternatives

So BP (benzoyl peroxide) is the most highly used acne product. I used to be a big supporter and user until I found out some of the cons. Dan is a big supporter. There does not seem to be a good complete discussion on the pros and cons of BP on this forum so I wanted to start one. What are some of the pros and cons in your opinion?

Here's mine:

Pros:

Helps clear acne in most people

Most-used acne product

Lots of research has been done on it

Dan supports it

Cons:

Bleaches clothes, pillows, and towels (possibly hair for women)

Very drying

Causes free radicals (my biggest concern)

Irritates skin

Causes breakout when you quit using it

BP Alternatives:

SA (salicylic acid)

Tea Tree Oil (my favorite alternative, but not as effective)

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

Feel free to comment on my list.

Now your turn... :)

The only thing Benzoyl Peroxide does for me is dry out my skin really bad, and I do not have sensitive skin at all. It makes the pimple develop a huge scab, and takes even longer to heal. And I ruined a new pillowcase before because I didn't know that it would bleach it. I swear, that stuff made my acne even worse.

I absolutely love salycilic acid, it does not dry my face out at all. I use the Neutrogena Hydrating Acne Treatment, and it does a wonderful job of soothing red bumps overnight.

So BP (benzoyl peroxide) is the most highly used acne product. I used to be a big supporter and user until I found out some of the cons. Dan is a big supporter. There does not seem to be a good complete discussion on the pros and cons of BP on this forum so I wanted to start one. What are some of the pros and cons in your opinion?

Here's mine:

Pros:

Helps clear acne in most people

Most-used acne product

Lots of research has been done on it

Dan supports it

Cons:

Bleaches clothes, pillows, and towels (possibly hair for women)

Very drying

Causes free radicals (my biggest concern)

Irritates skin

Causes breakout when you quit using it

BP Alternatives:

SA (salicylic acid)

Tea Tree Oil (my favorite alternative, but not as effective)

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

Feel free to comment on my list.

Now your turn... :)

I agree about the scabbing. I would get scabs quicker when I used BP, but at least the pimple would go away. I used to use both SA and BP, but decided to quit both and use more natural methods.

I dont get why everyone are concerned about free radicals. is it the supposed aging factor or cancer factor? In which case your mitochondria produce loads of free radicals and you have most of the cells in your body...

another con: skin gets tolerant to it after a while. Or at least for my skin: I started with 2.5% BP, but then it started have no effect on my acne, so i switched to 10% BP, but it only worked for a month before my skin got tolerant to it and it no longer kills acne as it used to

bp completely cleared my acne last yr and it only took 4 months to rid of the cystic acne i had. however coming this jan it all came back bcos i stopped using it and now, in july ive finally got it under control (somewhat).

and bp has very limited effectiveness on my acne now. trying to look for other alterntives. tried tea tree oil but its losing its effectiveness as well.

how about retin A? or greencream?

I dont get why everyone are concerned about free radicals. is it the supposed aging factor or cancer factor? In which case your mitochondria produce loads of free radicals and you have most of the cells in your body...

Free radicals are a pretty big deal. They cause cell aging and are linked to cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and schizophrenia. Our bodies naturally produce free radicals due to the metabolic process. The "free radicals" become very reactive to the oxygen in the atmosphere and that is why you age. Antioxidants, found in green tea for example, bond to the reactive chemicals and prevent them from binding to the reactive oxygen. That is why green tea is good for aging and acne.

bp completely cleared my acne last yr and it only took 4 months to rid of the cystic acne i had. however coming this jan it all came back bcos i stopped using it and now, in july ive finally got it under control (somewhat).

and bp has very limited effectiveness on my acne now. trying to look for other alterntives. tried tea tree oil but its losing its effectiveness as well.

how about retin A? or greencream?

Here's some good info on retin A: http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/ant...ing/retin-a.htm

It seems like a good alternative to BP and at least according to that website, does not have any side effects worst than BP. Anyone have any experience with it?

Here's some more info on retin A:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/retin-mic...am-t238407.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Retin-Log-t237232.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/retin-wor...sw-t240691.html

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Retin-1-P...gs-t241308.html

Seems like people are getting really mixed results.

Here's some info on GreenCream:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Green-Cream-t83306.html

Pros

-since it is so widely used in so many topical medications, it has been through competitive companies labs- trying to create the best product for you buck

aka a lot of smart people have spent a long time trying to refine this product

Cons

-it does tend to dry out skin (however their are good lotions out there that won't clog your pores)