Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User98562

Nooooo! What happened! Moisturizer's fault?

So I've been smiling for the past 2 months. 3 months ago i purchased Acne.org's treatment and AHA+. It took about a month to see great results and by the 3rd month i was as clear as i have been in the past 10 years. Great!!

I was never happy with any moisturizer because it was either too greasy or it balled up... So on my last acne.org purchase, about 3 weeks ago, I bought a refill of the Treatment cream and a bottle of the moisturizer. I use the moisturizer once a day, in the morning. 2 days ago, which is 2 weeks into using the moisturizer, i have a massive breakout on my forehead. 4 big zits. I have been acne free for 2 months so I'm very discouraged.

It HAS to either be the moisturizer (most likely) or for some crazy reason this new bottle of treatment isn't exactly the same as my first one(less likely). Has anyone had a breakout from this moisturizer? what should i do? I'm thinking to stop using the moisturizer until i clear up, then go back on it to see if it effects me again.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hey there -

I noticed that you've been using the Acne.org AHA+ moisturizer at night - but now you thought of adding a moisturizer during the day? Is this why you thought of trying the plain Acne.org moisturizer?

I saw on one of Dan's Daily Video Blogs - that someone mentioned they could use the AHA+ moisturizer every single night and it didn't bother them (instead of the normal Acne.org moisturizer) - and Dan said it was fine...here's the video: http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/01/20/spot-treatment-update/

Are you just really dry during the day? And want a daily moisturizer? I'm sort of battling that problem - and since you've been using the AHA+ - that means you've been on the regimen (liek you said) for over a month - are you using a SPF at all with your regimen? Since you use AHA+ ? I know Dan pushes to make sure you use one since the AHA+ will make your skin uber-sensitive to the sun?

The other thing is if you think Dan's moisturizer is making you break out (and to be honest - I do not use a moisturizer - I have oily skin - but I really want to start using one.....I have Dan's but I tried it way back when I started and I swore it made me break out too....) but I bought (haven't used though...) the Oil of Olay Complete (with Zinc and the SPF that you should be using if you're using AHA+) which he mentions that he likes in this video: http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/06/24/sun-we...hoosing-an-spf/

So I guess my main question is - were you just looking for a plain - non SPF moisturizer during the day? Have you thought about using one with SPF since you use the AHA+ and it makes your skin uber sun sensitive?

If you check out the treatment reviews for the Oil of Olay Complete: http://www.acne.org/olay-complete-all-day-.../636/page1.html

I have bought this one - but haven't tried it. I want to try the AHA+ too.

Another moisturizer option would be Cetaphil?? That is also on the Moisturizer reviews page:

http://www.acne.org/cetaphil-moisturizing-.../389/page1.html

I HAVE tried Cetaphil - it's okay - but too heavy for my liking...

Or you can just check out all the moisturizer reviews (the recommended ones from Dan which are on the middle part of this page: http://www.acne.org/findingsupplies2.php#step3

Hopefully this will help??? I know that Dan doesn't recommend using AHA+ as a moisturizer during the day and night (twice a day) he's said that it can be really too harsh (at least for his skin) - but hopefully you can find a different moisturizer to use during the day that will work?

Especially with SPF since you use the AHA+ at night?

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply katmae24. To answer your question, yes i use AHA at night and have always used a different moisturizer in the morning. Some have SPF and some dont. I wanted to try acne.org's moisturizer because it was a good value, and i figured since i was very happy with his other products, then I should give his moisturizer a shot. I have an SPF moisturizer for the weekends but during the week, i sit in an office so im not too concerned with sun exposure.

Thanks for the reply katmae24. To answer your question, yes i use AHA at night and have always used a different moisturizer in the morning. Some have SPF and some dont. I wanted to try acne.org's moisturizer because it was a good value, and i figured since i was very happy with his other products, then I should give his moisturizer a shot. I have an SPF moisturizer for the weekends but during the week, i sit in an office so im not too concerned with sun exposure.

The thing about the Acne.org moisturizer is that although it's non-commodagenic, since it contains jojoba seed oil, some people may have an allergic reaction to the jojoba. Olay complete Spf 15 for sensitive skin is an excellent spf, cetaphil also makes a great spf (fyi eucerin makes an spf 30). If you're looking for a regular moisturizer you can use day and night w/o spf, I would suggest one of the following:

- Aveeno Ultra Calming

- Philosophy's Hope in a Jar

- CeraVe

- Complex 15

Two paths here:

1) You can stop using the Acne.org moisturizer and switch back to what you were using before. You won't know for sure if it was the Acne.org moisturizer breaking you out or something else, but this might give you peace of mind.

2) You can keep using the Acne.org moisturizer for a few more weeks. If you keep breaking out, then you know it probably is the moisturizer, and can switch to what you were using before or something else. But if your breakouts go away, as random breakouts normally do after a few weeks, and aren't followed up by more breakouts, then it was probably just a coincidence, as breakouts often are when you haven't been on the regimen for a super long time.

I've experimented with a fair number of products in my 3.5+ years on the regimen, and through this longer testing process, I've found that only one of them actually seemed to be causing breakouts, and everything else was coincidental.