Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I'm new here and after reading a few threads I've actually started feeling a little better about myself.

So I was hoping I could get some advice/moral support.

I recently received a fifty dollar Sephora gift card for my birthday and after looking around on the site for a while I noticed that their "free shipping on orders over 50 dollars" did not extend to gift cards. So it's a much better deal if I actually go in to the store.

If you've been to Sephora, you know the lights are incredibly unforgiving. And on top of that, the place is swarming with salesgirls (really, our Sephora is not big and there are like fifteen people employed there) who would totally mention something about my skin and what product might help.

I keep thinking maybe I should just order online...but it's so not a good deal. Also, I really feel like I have to go out. I've been really pushing myself to go out more lately and I feel like I really need to do this for myself. I mean, even if my skin doesn't look its best, I have to try.

Has anyone else been through this? Especially at Sephora?

Try to keep your shopping times to times of low store traffic if you're this nervous about going out, "ease" your way into it I guess. I would think the lowest traffic hours are weekday mornings, but I rarely shop so I know little of that.

It is good to get out, even for a little bit, go for it.

I felt the same way when my boyfriend's mom gave me an Ulta giftcard for Christmas. I always feel like the girls that work there are looking at me funny because I don't dress in "stylish" clothes. I just wear what's comfortable--usually beat up jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie.

I ended up dragging my boyfriend into the store with me for support. He stayed right next to me the whole time, whispering, "It's okay. You're fine. Go ahead and take your time. You have just as much of a right to be here as anyone else.".

Him being there really helped, and I ended up buying some really good stuff. If he hadn't been with me, I probably would've grabbed the first few things I'd seen and bought them without thinking about whether or not I even really wanted them just so I could get out of there.

Try to keep your shopping times to times of low store traffic if you're this nervous about going out, "ease" your way into it I guess. I would think the lowest traffic hours are weekday mornings, but I rarely shop so I know little of that.

That's a fantastic idea. I know that during the school year, the highest traffic times for horrible mall brats is around 3. But during summer, morning probably is the best bet. Even though waking up early will suck, it should be worth it.

Thanks.

That's a fantastic idea. I know that during the school year, the highest traffic times for horrible mall brats is around 3. But during summer, morning probably is the best bet. Even though waking up early will suck, it should be worth it.

Thanks.

//Edit// Sorry for double-posting, guys. I can't figure out how to delete posts on here. My internet was being really weird last night.

Just walk in, say hello when they greet you, and when they ask if you need help finding anything just say you came in to look around. Then just walk off. They will get the idea you want to browse by yourself. If people keep coming up to you be polite but firm that you are just shopping today. I never worked at Sephora but I did work at the Gap during college. Your manager expects you to greet someone, push some product, and be sure you say hi to them again while browsing. If you say no thank you, and you want to look they won't be offended probably relieved and they will go back to stocking make-up brushes. I was always happy when someone said no and I just went back to folding t-shirts and counting down the hours/minutes till I was off.

I know how you feel about your skin but don't let it ruin your day. You go in there, get the stuff you want without paying the shipping, and screw the idea of worrying about some sales person ruining your day. So what if they offer for you to try Murad or this really great new cover up? Say no thanks, and keep walking around. If they piss you off just pick up some stuff and move it around. Get some satisfaction in knowing when you leave they have to put everything back.

yes, sephora has very bright lighting. at the ones i go to, the workers ask if you need help finding something specific, and then leave you alone if you say you're just browsing. i'm hoping that's how it is at every sephora.

one time a girl helped me try on a new foundation, and i was just waiting for her to comment on my scars and hyper pigmentation, but she didn't. i think they're much more respectful than at other cosmetic stores.

Sometimes the sales girls can actually be helpful...they gave me free samples for my skin when they saw me buying thermaclear there (which i totally recommend!)

I ended up dragging my boyfriend into the store with me for support. He stayed right next to me the whole time, whispering, "It's okay. You're fine. Go ahead and take your time. You have just as much of a right to be here as anyone else.".

Him being there really helped, and I ended up buying some really good stuff. If he hadn't been with me, I probably would've grabbed the first few things I'd seen and bought them without thinking about whether or not I even really wanted them just so I could get out of there.

Your boyfriend is soooo sweet!!! I want one like that lol

^Agreed. Her boyfriend is very nice for providing moral support. I think the workers would probably marvel at her porcelain skin if she removed the hoodie.

@mermaindely: Go with someone for support. Talking to someone can ease your anxiety. Check your body language. Smile and greet the workers who approach you. They're working, and probably aren't so concerned with your skin. If you're kind and polite, I'm sure their attitude will change, and they'll be friendly.

Morning is the best time to avoid the crowds.

I envy you right now so much. Sephora is great. But that $50 will go like *snaps fingers* THAT!

I would defiantly go into the store (if you live close by one) and let them help you, thats what they're there for! If you're unease by the situation, just remember that those sales girls have been through the same thing as you are going through right now.. Just tell them what you want to try and they may possibly give you samples of somthing. Always speak out, you never know what you'll get! :)