Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bufas

A few questions

First question is about digestion. Is having to go to the toilet somewhat shortly after a meal a sign of having good digestion?

Second question is about something else, the thing is I never blow my nose since I don't want to irritate the area, and I am very often snotty or whatever it is called. I was wandering if the fact that a lot of snivel or whatever its called going down to your stomach (hence why you can taste it, correct me if I'm wrong) would have an influance on acne or just digestion in general? It is after all not a pretty substance..

I just wondered but my guess would be that it didn't?

Going to the bathroom after eating a meal means your system is very good. Your body is making room for what it's bring in.

Are you sure you don't have allergies? You shouldn't have to sniffle for that long, and post-nasal drip is when it goes down the back of your throat. Maybe you have that? I'd talk to a doctor.

That's what I thought.

I've never heard of post nasal-drip before, I thought it was the normal way for your body to get rid of it when you didn't blow it out. I also thought the reason I have it so much was because I'd never blow my nose, but I guess it could be something else. It isn't really that much, so I don't know if it could be some sort of "small/slight" allergic reaction? Definitely more than most, but not something that has bothered me all that much.

Digesting foods quickly (having a fast metabolism) is usually considered a good thing - you don't keep toxins in your body for long periods of time, you're generally more regular than those with a slow metabolism, and, well, most people with fast metabolisms generally have a difficult time putting on weight.

Also, I assume you're not blowing your nose in fear of causing acne under your nose/above you lip? You could just blow your nose into your hand in the shower and wash it away, it's easy and causes less irritation. Also, there are people who claim that ingesting snot and 'boogers' will boost your immune system, as the purpose of your nose hairs/snot is to trap air born bacteria/viruses, and eating them would force your body to create proper antibodies and the like for them. Who knows. Either way though, it's not ever going to cause a problem for you - there's hydrochloric acid in your stomach, the contents of your nose would be easily dissolved and terminated. Besides, it's not like we had facial tissues years ago, and the way our nose/throat are designed, swallowing snot is quite simple. Unless evolution (or God? :P) screwed up big time, yeah, not gonna be a problem.

Thanks to both of you, it sure cleared up some curiousity, and you were correct in your assumption. :) The digestion thing would explain why I simply cant gain fat, and that sure is a good thing, but does that mean that it definitely isnt diet that is causing my acne?

Well, actually, having a fast metabolism usually correlates with a higher chance of dietary-induced acne. Some other guy eats McDonald's and gets fat, you eat McDonald's and get acne. Of course it's not as cut and dry as that, but I would take it as even more of a sign that diet is affecting your acne.

Or maybe not. Freakin' acne... :P

Quite interesting, can anyone back that up? I hate to fire questions at you all like this and I'm sorry, but does anyone know what kind of diet I then should focus on? :rolleyes:

Well, actually, having a fast metabolism usually correlates with a higher chance of dietary-induced acne.

Really? I'd never heard about this.

I don't know why but it seems to be true from what I observed. I try to bring up having fast metabolism and being thin and the connection but this board doesn't seem to want to talk about it. Usually it just turns into a debate how its not always the case.

The problem is that nothing can ever be 'the case' about anything in relation to acne. The correlation comes only from large amounts of anecdotal evidence, and thus is nearly a moot point, which is why I was so indecisive in my last post. I wanted to note it, however, because I would like to encourage everybody to eat a healthy diet, because beyond helping out with your acne, it provides a ridiculous amount of other benefits.

Anyhoo, you don't need to go through a major change of diet (unless your diet is absolute crap). Obviously, I would suggest never eating another bag of chips, candy, junk food of any kind, never drinking another soda or anything that is easily identifiable as terrible for you. However, some people have a harder time ditching these than others, so, just try and limit them as much as possible (optimum: zilch).

One of the best pieces of dietary advice I could give for acne is to limit consumption of omega 6 fatty acids such as Linoleic Acid (vegetable oils, especially sunflower, safflower, soybean) or Arachidonic Acid (Eggs, milk, red meat) as much as possible. Then, try and consume a higher amount of omega-3 fatty acids, such as Alpha Linolenic Acid (select vegetable oils such as flaxseed and canola (although, canola also has a fair amount of omega 6 fatty acid as well, a 1:2 ratio of 6:3s, which is still not too bad at all)) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docohexaenoic acid (DHA) from fresh fish or (possibly) fish oil capsules.

There is one type of omega 6 acid that is anti-inflammatory, however, called Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) found in highest concentration in borage seed oil. If you were going to take an oil supplement, I would suggest Organika's "Vital-3", a blend of flaxseed, salmon, and borage oil, creating a nice triple threat against inflammation, and thus acne. However, if supplementing with oil, you should always take the pills with meals, and alongside an adequate amount of Vitamin E (a fat carrier/protector to prevent them going rancid or turning into toxic free radicals in the body). An adequate amount depends on what type of vitamin E you are supplementing with, but I highly recommend "Dry" vitamin E, and about 400IU per 4ish oil capsules.

Also, there are various conversions that the body will take these oils through to eventually turn them into anti-inflammatory prostaglandins 1 and 3, which requires a variety of different vitamins and minerals to perform (specifically: magnesium, B3 and B6, vitamin C, and zinc, for the lot of the various conversions). You can either supplement these directly (as many on this site do), or take a multivitamin and multi-mineral(highly recommended), or find and consume foods exceptionally high in these coenzymes.

That's the most complicated part, and there's various details that you need not worry about, such as the fact the linoleic acid (the first omega 6 acid I cautioned against) can either convert into gamma linoleic acid (the good omega 6) or arachidonic acid (TERRIBLE omega 6, AVOID!), depending on which desaturase enzyme is more prevalent in your body, either delta 5 (bad) or delta 6 (good) desaturase. Being an acne sufferer, I would bet that delta 5 is more prevalent in your body, and this prevalence is caused by various things, genetics, insulin spikes (from sugary foods), what have you. Oops, I guess I DID mention it.

Anyways, beyond making sure your omega 3 intake is high(er than it it now), to around a 1:3, 1:2, or 1:1 ratio with your omega 6 intake, just eat a generally healthy diet. Again, no junk food. If you happen to eat a sugary, high glycemic food, then mix it with a low glycemic food, or some protein, or double whammy everything and mix it with some fish (protein with tons of omega 3 fats ;) ). Eat lots of fruits and vegetables (though, since your insulin resistance is probably high at this moment, keep fruit portions small, but as frequent as you like), try not to eat red meat, eggs or milk, and uh... if you eat fish (you should), make sure it's wild, salmon being the highest in omega 3 EFAs. Also, organic -anything- will generally be more nutritious than non-organic, especially with meats/poultry/fish of any kind.

There is a ridiculous amount of information on this site concerning specific foods to avoid and those that are beneficial - do some research, it'll be pretty enlightening. I'm sure I've pretty much made this post already but in more detail somewhere else, and stuff like that will be frequent in the holistic section of the site.

Good luck!