Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaka

Skin Purging when starting new products?

Hello All!

I recently read the Skin Type Solution by Dr. Baumann and it gave me lots of insight.

I was using Proactiv Solution before and turns out I shouldn't be, as I have Dry, Sensitive skin and should not be using ingredients that dry and irritate my skin (such as BP).

I started using a few weeks ago products that Dr. B recommended, Quintessence Skin Science Purifying Cleanser morning and night, daytime moisturizer am using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Visibly Even SPF 15, at night DDF oil free moisturizer. Once a week I also use DDF sulfur mask for acne, and at night I also use Elizabeth Arden Ceramide capsules antioxidant serum.

I have always had bad skin, acne around my chin area only.... I was on prescription tetracycline for years and stopped in November. I was also on birth control pills for my acne and stopped that in March. I stopped the pills as I am hoping to get pregnant in the near future.

I think the combo of stopping the pills, stopping Proactiv (I heard when you stop Proactiv your skin breaks out like crazy) and using new products that my skin is trying to get used to is making it break out bad. I've heard it could be "purging" is that true?

The new routine has definitely helped with the dry scaly patches, my skin is no longer dry! I just break out all over my chin, this is my weak spot.

I'm trying to decide if I should let it go a few more weeks and see if I get used to it, or make an appt to see a dermatologist.

Did anyone else experience skin purging when starting a new routine?

That's normal for anyone really to break out at first when starting a new regimen, or even one they have previously tried. That's just the skin purging, and because you've stopped and started a few different things, I would imagine your skin is a little confused. The only thing you can do is give it time. Good luck!

That's normal for anyone really to break out at first when starting a new regimen, or even one they have previously tried. That's just the skin purging, and because you've stopped and started a few different things, I would imagine your skin is a little confused. The only thing you can do is give it time. Good luck!

Thanks! I also started using the Clarisonic skin care brush 5 days ago, and I figure that is also cleaning out my pores and bringing pimples to the surface. I just hope this doesn't last too long :wacko: I have heard so many great reviews on the Clarisonic I want it to work for me too!

One week minimum I think, depends how irritated your skin was before you switched products. From somewhere on this website, Dan suggested to give each new regimen about 3 months to get the full potential.

hey guys. I saw that jaka was using an antioxidant serum. well let me tell you that if its commerical its bound to be useless, as they dont add vitamins in effective concentrations. Try addign soem vitamin c powder (in very small amounts) to your daily mositurizer. (mix it in your palm every morn. as vit.c oxidizes and becomes useless when kept for a long time). Apparsntly it works very quiclky in getting rid of acne marks as it evens skin tone and help improve damaged skin.

and if your skin has allready purged with oen product why should it have to purge again if you switch im eadiatly to another?

gewd luck 2 all

i have been on the acne.org bp regimen for 3 months and my skin is still purging and bad. Like people have said it depends from person to person for how long this process takes.

Edited by RatsOff