Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rdpg

Has a dermatologist prescription (aside from accutane) ever improved your case?

Hi. I would like to see a dermatologist but I am not interested in going on accutane to solve my relatively mild case of acne. I do really want to be rid of my acne though, but not willing to do that. The thing is, I'm afraid to visit a derm because I've read many posts on this site about people being prescribed topicals/antibiotics that just end up making them worse. I don't want to make my case worse by seeing a derm, and I feel if he or she prescribed me somethign I would be reluctant to use it in fear that my acne would worsen.

Has anyone here been to a derm and been prescribed a topical or other medication that has greatly improved their mild-moderate case of acne? I don't read a lot of success stories here, so it makes me wary.

a lot of the derm's prescriptions will make your acne worse before it gets better. i had a purging period for a month after using tazorac 0.05% and it was physically painful. i broke out in huge whiteheads and small cysts. after the purging was over, my skin got better pretty quickly. at that point, the purging was worth it because nothing i was using was helping, and it was nice to actually experience results.

i had moderate to severe acne before seeing the derm. if you decide to make an appointment, ask as many questions as you can to be as clear as possible about the side effects and what to expect.

Hi. I would like to see a dermatologist but I am not interested in going on accutane to solve my relatively mild case of acne. I do really want to be rid of my acne though, but not willing to do that. The thing is, I'm afraid to visit a derm because I've read many posts on this site about people being prescribed topicals/antibiotics that just end up making them worse. I don't want to make my case worse by seeing a derm, and I feel if he or she prescribed me somethign I would be reluctant to use it in fear that my acne would worsen.

Has anyone here been to a derm and been prescribed a topical or other medication that has greatly improved their mild-moderate case of acne? I don't read a lot of success stories here, so it makes me wary.

Sorry sir, I have bad news for you. Acne is a skin disease that doesn't form overnight, sad to say. It is a bacteria that forms and grows in your skin over a course of time. In fact, you could have acne now that hasn't sprouted yet, due to the time restraints of the bacteria growing in your skin. When you 'form' acne; it could take up to 2 weeks - 1 month before you see that acne live on your face.

Anyone stating anything regarding "having bad flare ups" are obviously uniformed and uneducated in this realm and haven't done their research. You will have flare ups; this is required and needed to kill the bacteria. When you take prescription medication, it speeds up your bacteria growth to kill it faster. It will bring up all forms of that bacteria to the surface, which is the final stages of the acne virus. Once you get through the "flare up stage" then it will get better.

I can tell you exactly what the dermatologist will prescribe you when you see them. Unless their horrible dermatologist, or trying to make a buck. Make sure to check the experience/education level, before seeing any dermatologist professional. Also, if you never taken any prescription medication before and if he/she tried to prescribe you accuntane -- then leave immediately. Accutante is a final resolution, which comes with a price to the consumer. It should never be taken, until all other options have been attempted.

If your dermatologist is any good, he/she will recommend probably benzaclin with Doxycycline. With Betadine surgical scrub as a skin cleanser mixed with your own regiment. This is what any good dermatologist will recommend to any new patient. This is the best stuff on the current market. Things like Retional A and stuff are only good for patients who have their acne under control and are doing things like chemical peels. Hope I cleared some stuff up for you.

Thanks guys.

So have you been clear since then, den_den? It just seems that reading the posts here, nothing but accutane that a dermatologist could offer will help. But then I suppose someone whose acne can be cured by a simple visit to the derm and some medication wouldn't have much reason to browse Acne.org.

johnathanrs, you did make some things clear. It's discouraging that acne takes so long to show up, since then it's nearly impossible to determine what the exact trigger is. I'm just afraid to take some prescription medicine because my skin is ridiculously prone to scarring, and I fear that the necessary flare ups would just leave my skin even more of a mess than it is.

I keep hoping that it will go away on its own but it's been nearly a year now and I'm still getting it.

i went to derm and they put me on differin and doryx... after about 3 weeks i broke out bad ( which was expected) and now about 5 weeks in my skin is clearing up better then ever

Sorry sir, I have bad news for you. Acne is a skin disease that doesn't form overnight, sad to say. It is a bacteria that forms and grows in your skin over a course of time. In fact, you could have acne now that hasn't sprouted yet, due to the time restraints of the bacteria growing in your skin. When you 'form' acne; it could take up to 2 weeks - 1 month before you see that acne live on your face.

Anyone stating anything regarding "having bad flare ups" are obviously uniformed and uneducated in this realm and haven't done their research. You will have flare ups; this is required and needed to kill the bacteria. When you take prescription medication, it speeds up your bacteria growth to kill it faster. It will bring up all forms of that bacteria to the surface, which is the final stages of the acne virus. Once you get through the "flare up stage" then it will get better.

I can tell you exactly what the dermatologist will prescribe you when you see them. Unless their horrible dermatologist, or trying to make a buck. Make sure to check the experience/education level, before seeing any dermatologist professional. Also, if you never taken any prescription medication before and if he/she tried to prescribe you accuntane -- then leave immediately. Accutante is a final resolution, which comes with a price to the consumer. It should never be taken, until all other options have been attempted.

If your dermatologist is any good, he/she will recommend probably benzaclin with Doxycycline. With Betadine surgical scrub as a skin cleanser mixed with your own regiment. This is what any good dermatologist will recommend to any new patient. This is the best stuff on the current market. Things like Retional A and stuff are only good for patients who have their acne under control and are doing things like chemical peels. Hope I cleared some stuff up for you.

I'm questioning some things you said. Antibiotics decrease the amount of bacteria living on the skin by interfering with the "ability of bacteria to produce proteins that are essential to them" (netdoctor), not speed up their growth. Also, acne isn't a virus.

While you're right that it is generally irresponsible for a dermatologist to prescribe an oral isotretinoin like Accutane straight away without first trying conventional treatments, to say that you can predict exactly what a "good" dermatologist would prescribe is not true. "Good" dermatologists prescribe medications and advice that they find appropriate for their patient based upon their professional assessment of the type and severity of their patients' acne.

Sorry, john, but acne is much more complicated than a simple bacterial infection, which is why it is so difficult to get clear. There are some posts in the research section, such as this one, which may enlighten you, should you decide you'd like to have a better understanding.

As to why some people get an "initial breakout" when they use topicals, this other post can better explain that.

I do NOT recommend antibiotics. I was on Doxycyline for 18 months and while it did keep me relatively clear, it will never be a solution. You are simply temporarily solving your problem.

I am currently using Duac (5% BP and 1% Clindamycin) for spot treatments in the morning and I use an AHA, 15% Azelaic Acid product called Finacea. It is for rosacea, which I do not have, but it also works for stubborn, non-inflamed acne.

Aczone got rid of mine without a period of it getting worse first. I just wash with cetaphil and apply the aczone everytime after I wash my face. I use aveeno positively radiant moisturizer.