Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ConfusingWorld

Can you also be allergic to Vitamin C supplements if you're allergic to citrus fruits?

Hi, sorry for the stupid question but I heard that synthetic Vitamin C's has some derivatives of the natural citrus fruits. The reason I'm concerned is because I think I'm allergic to citrus fruits. I was thinking of taking some Vitamin C supplements coz I have been getting colds lately. So can you also be allergic to Vitamin C supplements if you're allergic to natural citrus fruits (is that even possible)? Will it matter on the form of Vitamin C? (ascorbic acid, calcium ascorbate, magnesium ascorbate) Which of those are best absorbed anyways?

Thanks in advance! :D

Well the quick answer is ... there's really only one way to find out!

You can definitely be allergic to citrus fruits, talk to alternativista... she can't eat oranges, I've heard of other people having problems with them too. Remember that many other fruits and vegetables have plenty on vit C in them too. A single kiwi fruit has about 100% of your RDA vit C, some berries have a lot too. Leafy greens have a fair amount of vit C in them too, but keep in mind that vit C breaks down with a relatively little amount of cooking.

I think it's doubtful unless the supplement says it comes from citrus, like in some whole food supplements. And like Drizzler already said, vitamin C doesn't only come from citrus. Citrus aren't even the best sources. There's more in red bell peppers for example.

^ I agree with the post above.

Vitamin C is in the Citrus.... so unless the Citrus in in the Vitamin C, it shouldn't be an issue. You have to get it some way. ^_^

Hey thank you for the replies! That made it clear for me. :)

Ok I just went to our local health food store and checked every vitamin C supplements there. I couldn't find anything without citrus in it. It says ascorbic acid with rose hips and citrus bioflavonoids. There isn't just pure ascorbic acid or rose hips. Although I found one supplement with just 20mg of citrus in it. Will the 20mg citrus won't cause allergic reaction since it's just a small amount? (it was a 1000mg L-ascorbic acid by Kirkland). Thanks again guys! :)

I thought once I was allergic to citrus but then I went and tested myself. That was the best thing I have done for my health. I found out I was allergic to tomato, crabs and almonds. Who would have guessed? Do yourself a favor and test yourself for nutritional allergens, you might be avoiding food that does you no harm at all.

I'm allergic to oranges, grapefruit, and mangoes. Like, not just "it gives me acne" allergic, but throat-closing-anaphylactic shock allergic. I have taken vitamin C supplements without a problem in the past, and it's in my B-Complex. I'm still living, so I assume there's not much of a correlation.

^ Yeah. I take C supplements with citrus bioflavanoids without a problem, yet oranges and such give me cysts the next day.

I also don't have a problem with lemons and regular limes. Apparently few people are allergic to lemons as they are on whfoods.org's list of hypoallergenic foods.

I thought once I was allergic to citrus but then I went and tested myself. That was the best thing I have done for my health. I found out I was allergic to tomato, crabs and almonds. Who would have guessed? Do yourself a favor and test yourself for nutritional allergens, you might be avoiding food that does you no harm at all.

Whenever I eat/drink orange, my face turns red a bit. But as far as I can remember, I dont experience itching, etc. But I dont want to test it though, I have been off it for a looong time already I dont even remember when. :)

I'm allergic to oranges, grapefruit, and mangoes. Like, not just "it gives me acne" allergic, but throat-closing-anaphylactic shock allergic. I have taken vitamin C supplements without a problem in the past, and it's in my B-Complex. I'm still living, so I assume there's not much of a correlation.

That's good news! Does your vitamin C supplements also have citrus bioflavanoids in it?

^ Yeah. I take C supplements with citrus bioflavanoids without a problem, yet oranges and such give me cysts the next day.

That's a relief! Good to hear that.. How many mg of citrus bioflavanoids does your vit C contain? And mind sharing the brand? Thanks again! :)

That's a relief! Good to hear that.. How many mg of citrus bioflavanoids does your vit C contain? And mind sharing the brand? Thanks again! :)

200mgs. NSI AdvanC capsules. I've only been taking them for about a month. I used to take NatureMAde time release tablets, but switched to get it in capsule form. I also take NSI Synergy Basic v3 capsules for my multi. Order from vitacost.