Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phila08

Claravis Log - started July 9

Hello all,

I have been reading acne.org since my acne and skin got really bad a few years ago during my senior year at college. Before then it was controllable and nothing too bad - however since then my skin has constantly full of acne, red mars, and oily skin the last couple years. The omnipresent oily skin and acne on my face has impacted me greatly emotionally over the last couple years and I'm hopeful the accutane will help me regain it. I think the oily skin and redness I now have is caused by all the drawer full of OTC topicals and various prescriptions. Anyway as most of the people who are reading this, assuming there are some of you, none of them had any real success and never showed any long term improvements. So, finally after going to multiple dermatologists over the last couple years I found a derm who prescribed me accutane. I am starting at 40mg the first month and then expected to gradually work up to 80 mg over the next couple months.

I am currently on day 7 of claravis and am experiencing what I hope is the dreaded IB as I have already broke out in a few places I beforehand rarely had pimples such as my chin and nose area. My skin is still extremely oily however which has been really disappointing. My lips are chapped as of a few days ago and I was sure dry skin would be soon to follow. I know it's only been a week but for those who have been on accutane or someone more knowledgeable on the subject when can I expect the oiliness to go away??? I'm hoping it will be soon ;)

Thank you for anybody who took the time to read this and good luck to everybody out there!

ps: I'll try and keep future updates shorter. Pics below from the day before I started claravis

post-107965-1247785366_thumb.jpg

post-107965-1247785379_thumb.jpg

post-107965-1247785366_thumb.jpg

post-107965-1247785379_thumb.jpg

Our acne kind of seems similar. As far as the oilyness i cant really help you there. I have been told that it will go away with time. Good luck bro

mine went away pretty fast so dw it will. if u were excessive itll prob take more time than usual. im day 11 and starting to experience slight dryness and after practice today my hair looked fine.

also ill wash at night and not have to until the next night. its wonderful.

you'll experience it soon enough good luck!

Day 10

Have a few pimples on chin and one healing under eyebrow. Hopefully that was my in and it has passed. Still have the oily skin problem which I was hoping wouldhave gone away by now. Overall complexion I think is a little less red which is good.hoping for continuing improvements and the beginning of no oil :)

Day twelve

face is still very oily. Have to blot face with oil absorbing sheets probAbly around five times a day still. Face is also very red the last couple days and seems to be getting more sensitive. Present level of acne isn't too bad at the moment foremerly active pimples seem to be reducing.

I've been taking my pill(40mg) after dinner usually with a glass of water. About an hour later I usually have been either going to the gym or go fir a run outside. Has anyone found that exerecise relatively soon after taking accutane diminushes it's effect? I'm wondering this because my face is still oily and I'm not sure why as most peoples logs I've read said the oil stopped by this stage. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think the exercise has anything to do with it really. I don't know why it isn't working yet. I think maybe the oilyness didn't go away completely for me for at least a week, maybe two, so I would not worry too much. If it doesn't go away in another week or so then a dosage bump would probably be in line for your next visit :S

Try taking it "with dinner", eat a little then take the pill then finish eating. Make sure the food is a fatty food, it will absorb it better. I think some people take a supplement or vitamin that helps it absorb more, I don't really know what it is though, maybe fish oil something? :S Maybe someone could comment on that in here and help you out.

Your cheeks are very similar to mine, especially your right cheek with those little dents and those old mark things. I fucking hate those things..

I started July 9th as well (I'm on 30mg) and my face is also still oily as frick. Granted my skin isn't drowning in sebum like it was before, but it's still pretty oily. So I wouldn't let it get your down, just give it time. My face is also pretty red and is crazy sensitive. I think you'd know if it wasn't taking effect if you didn't have dry lips. Keep it up, and good luck!

Thank you for the replies. I think I'll try taking my pill with milk during dinner andmsybe that will help with absorbtion a little.

As for the oil I think it's a lil less than a few days ago....but still oily. Might have to wait till I get moved up to 60 mg for the oil to stop. Good luck to everybody

Hey everybody,

Seeing some improvements of late it seems. I feel like I am getting less active new pimples and I think the oil is beginning to subside a little as well. Face still appears to be red but I am still encouraged from by the progress so far.

Day 26

Acne has been pretty good of late. Not too many breakouts. Still have a few spits here and there as well as red marks left. Still a little oily throughout the day not nearly as bad as when I started though at least.

Face still red and seems very hot at times. Experienced this feeling before accutane so cannot contribute it to that. I was thinking of trying to moirurize at night. Do you think this will help with the redness during the day?

I have my one month checkup monday with my derm. I will try and post some new pics sometime this weekend.

Day 35

Sorry everybody haven't updated recently. Had my derm appointment a few days dago, he bumped me up to 80mg a day. His reaction seemed to be everyhting is going ok so far. On the acne front it's been pretty good. Still have a bunch of red marks but not too many actives. Face overall seems smoother and less bumpy when washing or applying moisturizer in the morning.

The main problems I have on my course are the redness and still oily skin on my face. Does anybody have any suggestions to reduce the redness? As of now I apply spf 15 cetaphil moisurizer in the morning and spend very minimal amount of time in the sun do I don't think it's really caused by sunlight.

As for the oil, it's not as oily as when beginning on accutane 5 weeks ago, but it is still oily. I was hoping the oil would be gone by now since it has now been over a month. I hope the 80mg I recently started will elimiante the oil, but I'm concerned my face will remain oily. Has anybody experienced where it takes longer than a month to reduce the oil?

Thanks so much fo reading and any suggestions anybody has would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gonna post any new pictures? Your cheeks are so similar to mine, I would like to see your progress.

I don't know about the oil thing, mine was almost completely gone within two weeks, but I felt greasy for about a month during my 2nd or 3rd month, I don't remember which. It went away though.

I have a couple of suggestions for you.

Once the oil does go away I would switch to regular cetaphil cleanser because I think the normal/oily might irritate your skin a bit more and make it redder. I also would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend CeraVe Moisturizer instead of cetaphil. It doesn't leave a shine and it is more powerful than the kind with spf 15. I found that kind made my face a little red as well. I think the cetaphil moisturizers are a little harsh for some peoples skin and makes them redder.. The CeraVe doesn't have spf in it but if your not out in the sun too much you should be ok.

Thanks fir the reply. I tried using the cerave cleanser and moisturizer before (pre accutane). Both products seemed to make my face look really waxy and shiny. I don't know if since I started accutane these products would be more effective. I ordered some products made by avene the other day to help with the redness. Hopefully those will work. Ill keep you updated and Will try to post some pics soon. Thanks.

Hey!

First off, good luck with your treatment! I'm on half your dose and at just over two months have seen a huge change - so I'm sure your skin is going to be better too. (:

I also very highly recommend CeraVe moisturizer. I know you said it made you shiny, but with how dry the Claravis makes your skin, I bet it would work wonders now. If you try it, make sure to rub it in for about a minute so that your skin absorbs all of it. Aveno makes this awesome redness reducing moisturizer, I can't remember what it's called... but it's in a small beige bottle and I'm pretty sure it has SPF 15.

If you can find it, I used to used that stuff like crazy and it really helped with the redness.

Again, good luck! Drink lots of water!

Day 43 I think...

I think the 80mg is starting to cause a couple side effects. Lips have been drier it seems as of late and also got some weird rashes on my arms. I bought some cortaid yesterday to help hopefully that will work.

Also, have a few bug pimples on my right cheek including one with a white head to it :( Not gonna pop it though will try and let the medicine work

Going to six flags today trying to not get burnt. Thanks for reading and good luck everybody

Day 51

Sorry been a while since I updated. Tried to update with pics a few days ago but had some technical difficulties - trying again today to upload some.

Main problem right now is redness and red marks left over from past acne. Recent breakout from when I went up to 80mg seemed to have subsided over the last couple days for the most part. I think I will be planning on buying some of the cerave moisturizer a couple of people recommended a few posts ago. I changed my cleanser to avene gentle cleanser. Seems to work out - seems to clean face without much irritation. However,t the spf25 redness reducing moisturizer has not been good at all. Leaves a white, chalky film on my face when I tried using it both times - probably will never use again.

Oil has been a lil better of late - probably only blot my face now like once or twice a day compared to about 10 pre-accutane.

Pictures attached below taken about two weeks ago around when I had my last derm appointment. Thanks

Sorry it wouldn't allow me to post the other pics - too big a file? Not sure why it posted sideways either. Any suggestions let me know. Thanks again

post-107965-1251576547_thumb.jpg

post-107965-1251576547_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty much like my cheek except mine is more up in the middle closer to my eyes and nose, where your clear spot is. Eerily similar.

Hey everybody,

Does anybody have any advice for shaving - my face seems to be extra red the next day after I shave when I shave the night before.

The products I'm using currently to shave are Dan's cleanser and a Gilette Sensor Excel razor.

Does anybody experience the extra redness the next day or any advice to alleviate the redness? I usually shave about every 5-7 days at night.

Thanks

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Amount of new acne has greatly reduced over the last month or so. I got a new red spot on my left cheek this morning but I'm hoping it will go away quickly. Yesterday I bought the cerave mosturizing lotion at cvs a few people here recommended. I used it last night and I'm not sure it was the cause of my breakout this morning.

My skin seems to be always red even if I do not get any in and wear spf15 during the day. My skin also feels way smoother than it did when I started accutane a lil over two months but it feels very sensitive red as I mentioned a lil earlier.

I'm hoping the cerave lotion helps even out my skin tone. Do people recommend the cerave cleanser as well? I've been using the cetaphil gentle cleanser.

Good luck to everybody and thanks fir reading

Hi,

I know I have not been too good with updates the last couple months. I am in the middle of month 4. I've been taking 80 mg since the beginning of month 2.

Currently I am mostly clear from new breakouts, yay! However, I am struggling with some side effects that are really bothering me on the course.

My face is still red msot of the time especially on my cheeks, I am hoping this will go away or at least lsessen once my course is over sometime in mid december.

My main problem right now that really started to affect me is the dry and flaky skin. I am not sure why it happened so suddeen after being on 80mg for a couple months already but my face is incredibly flaky right now. Right now I am using the Cerave hydrating cleanser and cerave cream twice a day. My face looks like a reptile almost when I get out of the shower in the morning and the cream takes a long time to absorb and the white color to go away. If any one has any advice please let me know.

I am planning on shaving tonight to help get rid of some of the flakes. Thanks!

Dry skn problems continuing it seems to get worse? It's really embarassing and uncomfortable at work. Any suggestions?

I've been taking my pill(40mg) after dinner usually with a glass of water. About an hour later I usually have been either going to the gym or go fir a run outside. Has anyone found that exerecise relatively soon after taking accutane diminushes it's effect? I'm wondering this because my face is still oily and I'm not sure why as most peoples logs I've read said the oil stopped by this stage. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello phila08,I am on my third day of accutane.Have you experienced any muscle soreness,or joint pains.Also can I start working out ,or is it too early in the treatment.Thank you and I hope your treatment is going good.