Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NJtraveler

Natural/Organic moisturizers

Hello everyone,

I've been on Dan's Regimen for 6 years now with some great results. Recently, I became aware of all the harmful ingredients that are contained in traditional moisturizers.

Did anyone ever try any natural moisturizers? (Kiss my Face etc..)Are any of them good for acne-prone skin and the Regimen?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hello everyone,

I've been on Dan's Regimen for 6 years now with some great results. Recently, I became aware of all the harmful ingredients that are contained in traditional moisturizers.

Did anyone ever try any natural moisturizers? (Kiss my Face etc..)Are any of them good for acne-prone skin and the Regimen?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Beware of so-called "Natural" products. Start reading labels and you will see that they are not, in fact, truly "natural." I've used KMF and while I generally like their products, they are not actually "natural." Become an obsessive label reader, and you will see. Even products that seem "natural" are not always truly natural, for example, grapefruit seed oil, a commonly-used preservative in natural products, is often acquired/extracted from the seeds using petroleum products or other processes that aren't natural.

If you truly want to go this route, PM me and I can give you the names of some TRULY natural and organic products, products that do not use harsh chemicals from which to derive their natural ingredients. But I have to say, none of them, true naturals or not, have ever kept me clear, and I have tried them all (KMF, Burt's Bees, Aubrey Organics, J/A/S/O/N, Suki, Dr. Hauschka - that was expensive and worthless! - Nonie of Beverly Hills, Juice Beauty and Juice Organics ... and probably some others I'm forgetting). My trade-off is this: I use DKR and Paula's Choice on my face to keep my skin clear, and I use 100% Natural and Organic products for body wash, lotion, shampoo, deodorant, etc.

Also, Dan's organic Jojoba oil is about as clean and natural as can be!

Hey Cassiopeia,

Thank you for such quick and detailed response. I’ve actually heard that too about “natural†products and not all so natural ingredients they may contain. It's a bit disappointing and somewhat expected to find out that none of the “natural†moisturizers work as well as Dan’s recommended ones. I guess, I’ll have to stick with Cetaphil that seems to work amazingly well for me.

I am curious, which natural body wash could you recommend?

Thanks so much!

The other posters are correct about what to be aware of when a product uses the words "natural" and "organic" on their labels. However, I do use personal care products that contain 95% or more natural ingredients. If you're interested, google cosmetics safety database. It's an index of thousands of personal care products and it measures the toxicity of them. One thing, though, is that they're a bit unfair to Burt's Bees because Burt's lists fragrance in their ingredients. Burt's uses mixtures of natural oils and harmless synthetics--not harmful phthalates!!--in the fragrances that are used in their shampoos, moisturizers, etc. Still, Burt's is a pretty good company and their products are fairly easy to come by. But by and large, the cosmetics safety database is a good place to check out the safety of certain ingredients. BP is considered fairly toxic, but I've tried tea trea oil and other natural remedies and they don't work as well. However, BP is the only chemical-ly thing I use. Dan's BP doesn't contain methylparaben like the Neutrogena BP does, so I prefer Dan's. (Methylparaben is a nasty ingredient; it's an estrogen imitator.) Plus, Dan's BP is way cheaper.

If you're looking for a very good, natural moisturizer, try Burt's Bees Marshmallow Vanishing Creme. It works fanatastically on your skin. If you've got a red patch, it calms it down within minutes. Even when I see the slightest pimple starting, I put Dan's BP on it, PLUS some of the Burt's Marshmallow moisturizer. The pimple does not grow AT ALL and goes away in a day or two. The BB's Marshmallow works great. I've been using the BB's Marshmallow moisturizer more liberally in the last few weeks, and my skin has been exceptionally clear--even before and during my period.

Here's a link:

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/...hing-creme.html

Here are the personal care products containing 95% or more natural ingredients that I use, besides the above I mentioned:

BB's Grapefruit shampoo/conditioner

BB's herbal deoderant

LaVanila lip butter

LaVanila vanilla/lavender perfume

Bare Escentuals blush

Bare Escentuals eyeliner

Gourmet Body Treats mascara

Gourmet Body Treats hair gel

Avalon Organics body lotion (lavender scented)

Tea tree oil and lavender oil for the smattering of pimples on my back

BB's facial mask

BB's pomegranate eye cream

Trader Joe's tea tree oil-based shower gel

BB's face powder (it's now discontinued)

Best,

Alex