Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vegangirl

After 2 years of severe acne, this is my story

I have been suffering from adult acne for about 2 years. This is my story so far.

I’m sure most people suffering from severe acne probably have tried soooo many different types of remedies it’s hard to keep track. So, I will try to make my story as simple as possible. I never had a problem with acne growing up. Little break outs when I was a teenager, but nothing major.

After graduating from college, I went on Lexapro (a medication for anxiety). A few months after taking it, I started to develop terrible cystic acne along my jaw line. After figuring out it was the Lexapro, I stopped taking it and it gradually faded. I never got 100% better, but I had improved.

About 5 months later, it came back with a vengeance. It started out as cystic and just got worse and worse. After trying various topicals, I decided to go internal. I started with my diet (my normal diet was pretty much like a regular American, terrible). I basically went on an anti-candida diet. No sugar, bread, yeast. Mostly meat and veggies. No noticeable improvement. My health declined. I could barely walk up stairs from weakness.

After about 5 months, I decided to take a different approach. I went the complete opposite and went raw vegan. I ate tons of fresh fruit and veggies, mostly raw. No gluten. I was making a HUGE green smoothie every morning and night. The rest of body really improved, but my acne condition just kept getting worse. At this point the acne was EVERYWHERE on my face but nowhere else on my body. Every pore looked clogged and inflamed. I also changed by face cleansing routine as basic as possible. I barely wash my face, and when I do, it’s with the oil-cleansing method.

I started going to a naturopathic doctor to try to find a solution without harsh chemicals. I started focusing on detox of the liver and kidneys. I was doing skin brushing, hot/cold water therapy, and castor oil packs on my abdomen. I also started taking supplements (Vitamin Code Women’s Vitamin, 50mg of zinc, 3000 mg of fish oil daily). After about 3 months with only slight improvement, I decided to get a blood test of EVERYTHING possible to see if that could tell me anything. At this point, I had really let go of trying to find a cure myself.

The weekend before the blood test, I got really sick from drinking one too many (I usually don’t drink) and spent the majority of the day hunched over the toilet. When I was able to keep food down, all I ate was plain toast and drink warm water.

Considering I probably was technically poisoned, the next day, my face was noticeably clearer. OOOOOOOkkk. How is that even possible? I completely over-loaded my body with toxins and I look better. WTF.

So the next day I resumed my normal diet except for one small change. I made my green smoothie out of a small amount of strawberries, blueberries and dandelion greens. No bananas, no dates. I only had it in the morning and ate a regular vegan dinner. No more fruit for the rest of the day.

It has been three days and my face looks completely different. No new pimples, the existing ones fading. Inflammation of my pores is non-existent. I can actually feel skin on my face!! After over a year of suffering, within a few days I look like a different person.

Now I am not saying it was anything specific, like the dandelion greens. I think it was related to blood sugar and inflammation. When I went on my first diet change, the anti-candida diet, my blood sugar was probably pretty stable, but my inflammation was through the roof from all the meat and eggs I was consuming. Plus, I don’t think meat agrees with me and I feel so much better not eating it.

When I switched to raw vegan, all the fruit I was eating was causing my blood sugar to spike and also many fruits like bananas (I was eating about 6 a day) are inflammatory. This could explain why it was getting so bad.

As soon as I calmed down on the inflammatory fruits (the rest of my diet is very anti-inflammatory) it was ridiculous how fast my skin changed. Like I said, I’m not using any topicals on my face and I no longer use soap.

If you are in a similar situation and haven’t tried an anti-inflammatory diet, what do you have to lose? Try it for a few days and see what happens. I can’t believe that this is all it took for me after everything I have been through.

I haven’t seen my blood test results yet, so I’m waiting to see if they show anything. I will try to give an update in a few days if things continue to improve or not.

Please feel free to ask questions. I know I was not very descriptive because I don’t want to bore everyone to death. I am also planning on posting some pics soon to show the difference.

Good luck getting calories.

It's really not that hard. Besides, you only need a significant amount of calories if you are regularly active, which I do promote though.

I also find that eating more fruits will inflame my acne more, and it goes down on the days when I can resist eating them throughout the day.

Hi there :] I have been doubting myself for trying a holistic approach to acne ever since I started, I think only because everything else I've tried hasn't worked so I believe in it but I don't know what I'll do if it is unsuccessful. Your post, and all the other successful holistic regimens and treatments, are helping.

I would like to know what you have eliminated from your diet, and what supplements you take. As for me...

Breakfast: Nutrigrain Bar and/or Kelloggs Strawberry bar. OJ a couple times a week, but mostly water. Activia yogurt.

Lunch: Maybe a sandwich (tuna, lunchmeat and cheese occasionally), or apples with peanut butter. I don't really make a fuss over lunch I guess. Maybe leftover dinner.

Dinner: Usually salmon, whiting, tilapia (rarely now that I saw the warning for the amount of Omega-6 in it) or cod. Salad, pasta (whole wheat), rice, some type of veggie (Not all of these together of course). We may have chicken if the hubby is craving some. No red meat at all. Pizza or sushi for treats. Maybe sweet potatoes, green beans, spinach, brocolli,frozen mixed veggies.

Snacks and treats: Strawberries, goldfish (kid snack). Not everyday items: pudding, chips, cookie (just 1 lol), ice cream bar, low-fat ice cream cone, soda (just once monthly), cranberry juice (same as soda). Sometimes a banana, but only if it is just past the "green stage". I don't like soft bananas.

I take a Probiotic, B-Complex vitamin, and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I am trying to find a good multivitamin (maybe one-a-day for women?) and N-Acetyl Cysteine for my liver.

(Just thought I'd throw all of ^that^ in here lol)

Right now, I have about 8 tiny, but inflammed, pimples on my right cheek. Some clogged pores on forehead and chin, as well as blackheads on nose. Now for the biggie and the reason why I posted all this: I started Nature's cure in February. I stopped it in late March after one month because although it took away the cysts, it didn't stop my breakouts entirely, so I felt it was time to find something else. Never got the cysts again. I tried a couple other products (namely Glycolic Acid) and last week, I had NO active pimples anywhere but my right cheek. As of Monday, everything was clearing up. Then yesterday. I woke up with what I find to be a huge cyst on my chin! Part of the the thickness of it is my chin, but I can't tell where my chin ends and the base of the cysts begins. What in the WORLD did I do???

Anyways - according to my diet, what could I stand to incorporate and lose?

Considering I have not explained my diet besides the fact I eat vegan and non-inflammatory, I really don't think your comment warrants much of a response.

By the way, I exercise 6 days a week and I am training in Muay Thai. I must be getting my energy from somewhere. ;)

Do you think you could explain it in more detail? I don't have cystic acne but I do have inflammatory acne so I think that I should heed this info. I've recently been trying to modify my diet as well. I'm eating those green smoothies everyday, grains, some meat (chicken or fish), salads but also some bad food. Which fruits other than bananas are inflammatory?? Omg, I've been eating those everyday as well....

Hi there :] I have been doubting myself for trying a holistic approach to acne ever since I started, I think only because everything else I've tried hasn't worked so I believe in it but I don't know what I'll do if it is unsuccessful. Your post, and all the other successful holistic regimens and treatments, are helping.

I would like to know what you have eliminated from your diet, and what supplements you take. As for me...

Breakfast: Nutrigrain Bar and/or Kelloggs Strawberry bar. OJ a couple times a week, but mostly water. Activia yogurt.

Lunch: Maybe a sandwich (tuna, lunchmeat and cheese occasionally), or apples with peanut butter. I don't really make a fuss over lunch I guess. Maybe leftover dinner.

Dinner: Usually salmon, whiting, tilapia (rarely now that I saw the warning for the amount of Omega-6 in it) or cod. Salad, pasta (whole wheat), rice, some type of veggie (Not all of these together of course). We may have chicken if the hubby is craving some. No red meat at all. Pizza or sushi for treats. Maybe sweet potatoes, green beans, spinach, brocolli,frozen mixed veggies.

Snacks and treats: Strawberries, goldfish (kid snack). Not everyday items: pudding, chips, cookie (just 1 lol), ice cream bar, low-fat ice cream cone, soda (just once monthly), cranberry juice (same as soda). Sometimes a banana, but only if it is just past the "green stage". I don't like soft bananas.

I take a Probiotic, B-Complex vitamin, and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I am trying to find a good multivitamin (maybe one-a-day for women?) and N-Acetyl Cysteine for my liver.

Right now, I have about 8 tiny, but inflammed, pimples on my right cheek. Some clogged pores on forehead and chin, as well as blackheads on nose. Now for the biggie and the reason why I posted all this: I started Nature's cure in February. I stopped it in late March after one month because although it took away the cysts, it didn't stop my breakouts entirely, so I felt it was time to find something else. Never got the cysts again. I tried a couple other products (namely Glycolic Acid) and last week, I had NO active pimples anywhere but my right cheek. As of Monday, everything was clearing up. Then yesterday. I woke up with what I find to be a huge cyst on my chin! Part of the the thickness of it is my chin, but I can't tell where my chin ends and the base of the cysts begins. What in the WORLD did I do???

It definitely sounds like your acne is a lot less severe than my own (judging on your description). I do have some suggestions that you may want to try:

1. Try to decrease/eliminate processed foods (breakfast bars, bread, pasta, etc). I have a hard time sticking to this one myself, but it helps you to digest and assimilate your food. I still use hemp protein powder (cold-processed) and Brewer’s Yeast though for B vitamins, iron and protein.

2. Dairy is a big contributor to acne as well for MANY reasons. A little research on google will clue you in. That includes yogurt and cheese as well. Try going a week or so without it and see if you have any improvements.

3. You seem to be eating a lot of fish. Although fish is very good for you, be careful of mercury! Do a little research about this. Clear skin won’t matter if you have brain damage! ;)

I would probably start with these changes and see how you react. Since your acne is cystic, it would not surprise me if it is dairy that is causing you problems.

I absolutely love the Vitamin Code Women’s vitamin. It doesn’t upset my stomach or anything.

Considering I have not explained my diet besides the fact I eat vegan and non-inflammatory, I really don't think your comment warrants much of a response.

By the way, I exercise 6 days a week and I am training in Muay Thai. I must be getting my energy from somewhere. ;)

Your not eating dairy

Your not eating meat

Your not eating a lot of fruit

Your not eating grains

That pretty much leaves nuts, seeds, legumes, and veggies. It will be very difficult for anyone to get calories on that. Even an inactive woman.

Do you think you could explain it in more detail? I don't have cystic acne but I do have inflammatory acne so I think that I should heed this info. I've recently been trying to modify my diet as well. I'm eating those green smoothies everyday, grains, some meat (chicken or fish), salads but also some bad food. Which fruits other than bananas are inflammatory?? Omg, I've been eating those everyday as well....

First of all, don’t freak out!! I tend to freak out and make drastic changes which have probably screwed me up in the past.

I have been using nutritiondata.com to research foods. It shows you a lot of detail and also what is inflammatory/anti-inflammatory and by how much. There are also many websites that will clue you in on certain foods and supplements as well. I try to stay away from supplements as much as possible although some supplements like ginger or turmeric should be ok.

Try your best to reduce processed foods and animal products. You don’t have to become vegan or anything, but most meats (besides fish) and dairy are inflammatory and also contain hormones and antibiotics. It does sound like you are eating a decent diet though, but I made one small little change and my skin cleared up.

Your not eating dairy

Your not eating meat

Your not eating a lot of fruit

Your not eating grains

That pretty much leaves nuts, seeds, legumes, and veggies. It will be very difficult for anyone to get calories on that. Even an inactive woman.

Just a few corrections: I am eating grains. No gluten. I eat rice (brown, basmati, etc) and I love quinoa. Legumes are definitely a large portion of daily calorie intake as well as extra virgin olive oil in the huge salads that I eat.

I still eat fruit, just not as much and I eat more low-GI fruits to keep blood sugar stabilized.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast:

Hemp protein shake

Berries and dandelion greens and ground flax seed

A handful of raw walnuts

Snack – dried banana chips made with coconut oil

Lunch

Homemade veggie burger made with lentils

Lots of veggies (cabbage, greens, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, yum)

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Sweet potato with cinnamon

Snack

Homemade garlic hummus and carrots and celery

Before exercise

Greens energy bar (I get them at Whole Foods)

Handful of raw walnuts

Dinner

Channa Masala and Basmati Rice

Supplements – Vitamin, fish oil, zinc

I do eat a lot of food (quantity-wise).I do not know calorie-wise how much I eat (I gauge by my hunger), but I have been training for about 1 -2 hours a day, 6 days a week.

I know it is a very different diet compared to a standard American diet, but I feel so much better and have so much more energy. It is more difficult to prepare than just stopping at McDonalds, but how I feel keeps me motivated.

A lot of people have criticized and questioned my diet. My response: Don’t knock it until you have tried it.

It definitely sounds like your acne is a lot less severe than my own (judging on your description). I do have some suggestions that you may want to try:

1. Try to decrease/eliminate processed foods (breakfast bars, bread, pasta, etc). I have a hard time sticking to this one myself, but it helps you to digest and assimilate your food. I still use hemp protein powder (cold-processed) and Brewer’s Yeast though for B vitamins, iron and protein.

2. Dairy is a big contributor to acne as well for MANY reasons. A little research on google will clue you in. That includes yogurt and cheese as well. Try going a week or so without it and see if you have any improvements.

3. You seem to be eating a lot of fish. Although fish is very good for you, be careful of mercury! Do a little research about this. Clear skin won’t matter if you have brain damage! ;)

I would probably start with these changes and see how you react. Since your acne is cystic, it would not surprise me if it is dairy that is causing you problems.

I absolutely love the Vitamin Code Women’s vitamin. It doesn’t upset my stomach or anything.

I think the dairy scare is a tad overdone around here... and eliminating yoghurt and cheese is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. I think if you find the right kind of milk/cheese/yoghurt (cows that are grass-fed and not injected with hormones is a good start), you might not have an adverse reaction (read: outbreak)...

...HOWEVER...

...there is the lactose tolerance issue which is very real and WIDESPREAD throughout the world. It causes numerous allergic reactions and severe mucous buildup in the system.

(from wikipedia)

The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from as little as 5% in northern Europe, up to 71% for Southern Europe, to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries. Disaccharides cannot be absorbed through the wall of the small intestine into the bloodstream, so in the absence of lactase, lactose present in ingested dairy products remains uncleaved and passes intact into the colon.

That last (bolded) point is huge and ties back into the 'dirty blood'-acne connection (I'm thinking of starting a thread about this soon). Either way, if you're suffering adverse reactions from dairy, why not try taking a STRONG probiotic to aid in digesting the lactase? I can honestly say that over the past week (when I started taking probiotics) I've had NO new spots. Whether this is just a placebo or an actual positive effect from them remains to be seen.

-Cleric

Yeah, I think for the most part my diet is good. There are just a few small changes that I would like to make. Dairy is proving to be really hard for me to kick but I have significantly reduced my intake. I'm going to check out those sites later when I have more time. Thanks for all the info.

When you've been clear for at least a month, please post to the Success Compilation thread I'm trying to keep up. There's a link to it in my signature.

Yeah, I think for the most part my diet is good. There are just a few small changes that I would like to make. Dairy is proving to be really hard for me to kick but I have significantly reduced my intake. I'm going to check out those sites later when I have more time. Thanks for all the info.

This site is pure gold: westonaprice.org

Check out some of the articles there and let me know what you think. As always, take things with a grain of salt, but also don't be too quick to dismiss them as 'quackery'. Balance is key... I like to read stuff like that and then try to cross compare them to some of the double blind, randomized studies found on the NIH.

-Cleric

I think the dairy scare is a tad overdone around here... and eliminating yoghurt and cheese is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. I think if you find the right kind of milk/cheese/yoghurt (cows that are grass-fed and not injected with hormones is a good start), you might not have an adverse reaction (read: outbreak)...

...HOWEVER...

...there is the lactose tolerance issue which is very real and WIDESPREAD throughout the world. It causes numerous allergic reactions and severe mucous buildup in the system.

(from wikipedia)

The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from as little as 5% in northern Europe, up to 71% for Southern Europe, to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries. Disaccharides cannot be absorbed through the wall of the small intestine into the bloodstream, so in the absence of lactase, lactose present in ingested dairy products remains uncleaved and passes intact into the colon.

That last (bolded) point is huge and ties back into the 'dirty blood'-acne connection (I'm thinking of starting a thread about this soon). Either way, if you're suffering adverse reactions from dairy, why not try taking a STRONG probiotic to aid in digesting the lactase? I can honestly say that over the past week (when I started taking probiotics) I've had NO new spots. Whether this is just a placebo or an actual positive effect from them remains to be seen.

-Cleric

I'd like to follow up with the comment: Why not try raw milk? Raw milk being milk straight from a cow/goat, unpastuerized or homogenized. (pssst, it also tastes a lot better)

Raw milk has beneficial bacteria that aids in it's own digestion. Some lactose-intolerant individuals on the raw milk sites claim that drinking raw milk doesn't give them any trouble.

I switched to raw milk in early May. I was NOT lactose intolerant and my acne was NOT affected previously by diary. However, I noticed an almost immediate improvement in the quality of my digestion. One that's persisted with raw milk use, but vanished when I did not drink any during my vacation overseas, and has improved again now that I'm back home and drinking it again.

It is possible that people that are bothered by store bought milk in regards to acne may not have a problem with raw milk.

Just a thought.

...HOWEVER...

(from wikipedia)

-Cleric

I'd like to follow up with the comment: Why not try raw milk? Raw milk being milk straight from a cow/goat, unpastuerized or homogenized. (pssst, it also tastes a lot better)

Raw milk has beneficial bacteria that aids in it's own digestion. Some lactose-intolerant individuals on the raw milk sites claim that drinking raw milk doesn't give them any trouble.

I switched to raw milk in early May. I was NOT lactose intolerant and my acne was NOT affected previously by diary. However, I noticed an almost immediate improvement in the quality of my digestion. One that's persisted with raw milk use, but vanished when I did not drink any during my vacation overseas, and has improved again now that I'm back home and drinking it again.

It is possible that people that are bothered by store bought milk in regards to acne may not have a problem with raw milk.

Just a thought.

Excellent suggestion.

I almost thought about mentioning this, but then I was worried about a possible slurry of "but raw milk is unpasteurized, it's unsafe!!!'... and frankly, I'm still on the fence about it (go figure). I've read BOTH sides of the issue and am still undecided.

Either way, let's assume that raw milk is the way to go, the problem is that the FDA has imposed so many regulations that the smaller organic farms are being forced out of business... unfortunately, it means that not a lot of people have access to farms (or stores) that carry raw, organic milk.

-Cleric

Drinking raw milk from the same cows that produce all the mass quantities of regular/pasteurized milk would definitely make you sick as hell, might even kill you! Those animals are so sick, absolutely plagued by disease from the hormones and horrible living conditions. They are only kept alive by the massive amounts of antibiotics that they are fed! This is why "dairy" is so bad for you. If you are getting raw milk from a healthy, happy cow it is definitely much much better!

Its the same with meat. Many people say "eating meat is unhealthy", and its proven that the meat we eat does so many bad things to our bodies. But there is a difference between saying "eating meat is bad for you" and "eating the meat products generally available to us is grocery stores is bad for you". Look up the differences in the nutritional profiles of typical store bought, grain/soy-fed beef, and organic, grass-fed, free range beef. Its absolutely astounding! Same goes with organic vs. inorganic chicken, wild-caught vs. farmed salmon etc...

^^^ And oh yeah, technically it is illegal to sell/distribute raw and unpasteurized milk as per FDA regulations. You have to find a private distributor.

i know a lot of inactive males why do you single out the women for?

I didn't single out women. (Although I will take a playful stab at them for being sensitive now :surprised:) Inactive women just need the least calories, that's simply why I made that choice.

Also, to the topic creator. The brown rice you are eating is more inflammatory than a lot of meat you are so outspoken about, such as chicken and fish.

Excellent suggestion.

I almost thought about mentioning this, but then I was worried about a possible slurry of "but raw milk is unpasteurized, it's unsafe!!!'... and frankly, I'm still on the fence about it (go figure). I've read BOTH sides of the issue and am still undecided.

What pushed me across the line into trying it was this: For thousands of years humans have drunk raw milk. If it was poisonous or people got sick all over the place from it, we would have stopped drinking it. It didn't. Meanwhile, pastuerization is only about a hundred years old or so and has been widespread for only about fifty. It also seems to serve only one real purpose, which is to hide the original quality of the milk.

So after those thoughts, I figured I'd be a human experiment and get some from a reputable farmer. I still live (as does my brother and mom) and we like it better than the store bought. We drink 4 gallons of raw milk a week. We used to drink one store bought gallon in three weeks.

Either way, let's assume that raw milk is the way to go, the problem is that the FDA has imposed so many regulations that the smaller organic farms are being forced out of business... unfortunately, it means that not a lot of people have access to farms (or stores) that carry raw, organic milk.

-Cleric

This is very true and it increases the difficulty level of finding it. I can speak only about the state of Texas, where you can still buy the milk directly from the farm. It means a lot of driving sometimes, but they can't nail you on it. Also, the real milk website has a list of farms you can contact for raw milk, which is very helpful in finding a farm as close as possible.

I'd say that this is one of those issues to become politically vocal about. I know I don't appreciate the government telling me what I can and can not eat (that would be like them telling me whether I can or can not have sex). I can feed myself, thank you very much.

Drinking raw milk from the same cows that produce all the mass quantities of regular/pasteurized milk would definitely make you sick as hell, might even kill you! Those animals are so sick, absolutely plagued by disease from the hormones and horrible living conditions. They are only kept alive by the massive amounts of antibiotics that they are fed! This is why "dairy" is so bad for you. If you are getting raw milk from a healthy, happy cow it is definitely much much better!

This is true! If the same milk you bought in a store was raw, we'd probably get sick. Which is why they HAVE to pasteurize it! It's to hide the original quality of the milk.

Which is why if you're going to have raw milk, you have to find a reputable farm with grass-grazing cows or goats. The more organic the operation is, the better.

This whole thing about raw milk, though, is to raise a possible alternative to abandoning milk and dairy altogether. I can't personally say if acne is affected by raw milk products. I simply DON'T KNOW. I merely hypothesize that it's possible that while store bought will mess you up, raw milk may not. Which could potentially open back up the world of raw diary (icecream!) back to diary-related acne sufferers.

Its the same with meat. Many people say "eating meat is unhealthy", and its proven that the meat we eat does so many bad things to our bodies. But there is a difference between saying "eating meat is bad for you" and "eating the meat products generally available to us is grocery stores is bad for you". Look up the differences in the nutritional profiles of typical store bought, grain/soy-fed beef, and organic, grass-fed, free range beef. Its absolutely astounding! Same goes with organic vs. inorganic chicken, wild-caught vs. farmed salmon etc...

Agreed. What you buy in the store and what you can get from an organic farm are worlds apart healthwise. The same can be said for fruits and vegetables as well. I'd wager that grocery store vegetarians just aren't as healthy as their totally organic conterparts.

^^^ And oh yeah, technically it is illegal to sell/distribute raw and unpasteurized milk as per FDA regulations. You have to find a private distributor.

It depends on your state too. It is true that finding it in the grocery store isn't going to happen (right now, anyway). There are farms and cowsharing programs, though. If you really want to give it a shot, there are options depending on what state you're in.

Also, to the topic creator. The brown rice you are eating is more inflammatory than a lot of meat you are so outspoken about, such as chicken and fish.

You are absolutely correct, but an anti-inflammatory diet is not about eating ALL anti-inflammatory foods (I've read this can be very unhealthy to do for long periods of time). You want to eat a balance of inflammatory/anti-inflammatory so that by the end of the day you have eaten slightly higher in anti-inflammatory. Even being slightly higher in anti-inflammatory is a HUGE dietatry change to the SAD.

I don't eat meat because of my vegan lifestyle (although it does help with the anti-inflammatory diet). If I was not vegan I would probably still eat lean meats in moderation.

You are absolutely correct, but an anti-inflammatory diet is not about eating ALL anti-inflammatory foods (I've read this can be very unhealthy to do for long periods of time). You want to eat a balance of inflammatory/anti-inflammatory so that by the end of the day you have eaten slightly higher in anti-inflammatory. Even being slightly higher in anti-inflammatory is a HUGE dietatry change to the SAD.

I don't eat meat because of my vegan lifestyle (although it does help with the anti-inflammatory diet). If I was not vegan I would probably still eat lean meats in moderation.

Why did you adopt a vegan lifestyle? The whole concept to me just screams "media hype".

Why did you adopt a vegan lifestyle? The whole concept to me just screams "media hype".

lol that is a very interesting question. Like I described in my first post, it was just something I wanted to try for my acne. After about a month of being vegan, I was feeling SOOO amazing and I just wanted to keep it up. I don't try to impose my choice on others and I can't really say if it has helped with my acne at all.

I also don't agree with the way animals are treated in slaughter houses. Whether we are meant to eat meat as a species has always been a tough debate, but I honestly don't think the meat that comes off of sickly animals can be good for you in any way. I know there are other options (free-range, etc) but like I said, I feel AMAZING the way I'm eating now.

Like you said, and I TOTALLY agree, veganism does scream media hype. I get embarassed sometimes in restaurants when I have to ask if there are any vegan foods. I feel like it gets such a negative effect from people.

But everyone is different. What works for me might not work for someone else. My only suggestion: Don't knock it until you try it. ;)