Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Charisma

Why I'm coming off the regimine

It doesn't work for me, simple as. I've been on it for approximately 11 or 12 weeks (I haven't updated my signature). While I've noticed little improvement, such as the tiny little spots disappearing, I'm still getting monster whiteheads very frequently, and my nose is still covered in blackheads. It's not as if I've done everything wrong as well, I've followed the steps almost religiously, and used the most recommended UK products I could find.

Basically, I'm not confident staying on it any longer. It's just not worth the dry skin and stinging sensation when I apply the moisturizer (both of which have never disappeared for good). What's the point in being uncomfortable when it's not even working?

I'm just gonna go back to a regular facial scrub, which does pretty much the same thing as the regimine does, only without the stinging sensation, irritated skin and the amount of time the regimine takes to apply.

I never had satisfactory results with the regimen as outlined on here. It reduced acne by about 50-60%.

A while ago after going off the regimen I couldn't maintain the crazy diet required for clear skin so I thought what the hell I'd try Quinoderm 10% BP with Hydroxyquinolene in it.

Wow the difference was amazing. I only use it at night and don't moisturize at night as the formula has lactic acid and petrolatum as well.

During the day I will use Vaseline's Aloe Fresh or Essential moisture both aren't greasy or shiny.

Quinoderm got rid of those huge cystic ones around the chin that seem to hang around for ages even on regimen.

I shave every day with a disposable Bic 2 razor in shower using Head and Shoulders as a cleanser.

I am 99% clear now and the 1% don't hang around. My skin is better than 'non-acne' friends skin.

I am so impressed with Quinoderm that I may use their cleanser ( a mild version of Hibiclens with other stuff) instead of Head and Shoulders in the morning.

What BP product did you use before you tried Quinoderm? Thinking about it, if I decide to get back on the regimine later, I really don't want to go through the insane redness/dryness/stinging you get when you start, so I may give it one final try using this.

Thanks.

What BP product did you use before you tried Quinoderm? Thinking about it, if I decide to get back on the regimine later, I really don't want to go through the insane redness/dryness/stinging you get when you start, so I may give it one final try using this.

Thanks.

I tried them all before Quinoderm in the range of 2.5% to 5% including the Brevoxyl 4%.

Panoxyl Aquagel was the worst.

Funnily enough the formula for Quinoderm initially stings (lactic acid I guess) but settles down very quickly after a few minutes and isn't as drying because it has built in moisturizer, you dont need to use any moisturizer as well. In fact I think adding a secondary moisturizer or anything else on top of BP base formula can cancel out it's effectiveness.

The simple routine of just Quinoderm cuts down the time of the nightly routine. I use one long finger of it at night all over beard area and nose.

As I say I don't use it during day. I use Vaseline's Aloe Fresh or Essential moisture during day both aren't greasy or shiny.

Due to years of using BP (on and off) I find my face is pretty tolerant of it these days. First time I used BP years ago was scary my face then felt like concrete, red and flaky, now I slap it on and I get comments on how young I look, I am in my 30's.

I also don't bother being super gentle I obviously dont rub my face raw but I cleanse vigorously with palms of hands, rinse thoroughly and slap on Quinoderm like a normal person shoves on sun tan lotion.

The only thing I agree with Dan on is loads of BP, 2 blade razor in shower, and avoid mixing loads of products as it cancels out effectiveness of BP formula.

I have tried everything including diet for acne, and Quinoderm is the best.

You mention whiteheads and blackheads, so I'm wondering if your acne is mostly non-inflamed. BP works pretty great on inflamed acne (red bumps that might hurt a little which may or may not come to a pus-filled head), but not as consistently on non-inflamed acne (white or skin-colored clogged bumps, blackheads). For non-inflamed acne, exfoliation is super important - try an AHA or salicylic acid treatment.

You mention whiteheads and blackheads, so I'm wondering if your acne is mostly non-inflamed. BP works pretty great on inflamed acne (red bumps that might hurt a little which may or may not come to a pus-filled head), but not as consistently on non-inflamed acne (white or skin-colored clogged bumps, blackheads). For non-inflamed acne, exfoliation is super important - try an AHA or salicylic acid treatment.

I agree I thing AHA would be better for you. BP wasn't a success for me either!

I found AHA to be important as well as BP.

Both Quinoderm and Vaseline's Aloe Fresh and Essential Moisture contain the AHA lactic acid.

I think the Hydroxiquinoline which is combined with BP in Quinoderm may act not only as an antibacterial but an anti-inflammatory.

When I say whiteheads, I'm actually talking about pustules, monster spots with pus-filled heads that hurt like hell!

I don't know where to get AHA in the UK, any recommendations? Also, I'm a little confused as to how AHA is applied. According to the website, Dan uses a little blob of AHA as if it's a spot cream, but others seem to indicate that it's a moisturizer or a cleanser. How would I apply it?