Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catrat242

are acne medications considered to be a medical or cosmetic?

My mother and I are in a big big argument. I'm 16 and just got my first job. I basically get $70-80 a week (give or take), but am also going to Europe next year and am forced to save for that, so I really only get to see half my paycheck.

I need my prescription meds filled, and my mother promised in December I would get a SilkPeel (microdermabrasion, if unknown) in the near year. ...it's July.

The SilkPeel is about $100 per treatment, and I need six. I have no idea how much the prescription meds are but I know it's somewhat expensive. I told my mother I need them both and she said, and I quote "Save your money."

?!?!?!

Can she legally do that? Not pay for my medical needs? I somewhat understand that the SilkPeel is cosmetic but the prescription meds?

First, to answer your question, yes she can. Second, yes the dermabrasion is considered cosmetic. The actual acne medication is called just as it sounds medication. Insurance will cover most of the cost, and you will have to pay a fee for whatever is left over.