Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just brush and floss normally. I tried oil pulling for a while but I broke out really bad and I'm not sure if it was from that or not but I'm too scared to go back until my skin is more stable.

I brush with an electric toothbrush and use homemade toothpaste. I make the paste with coconut oil (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal), baking soda (mild abrasive), xylitol (breaks down plaque), and a few drops of peppermint essential oil (for aroma and flavoring).

For more info, go here: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_toothpaste

After I brush, I rinse for 5 minutes with hydrogen peroxide (it's a bleach, so it naturally whitens teeth.. and as a bonus, it kills germs!).

That's it! This tandem is all natural, cheap, and works better than any store-bought paste/OTC whitening kit.

Cheers,

-Cleric

I've used "herbal" toothpastes before and hated them all. Right now I use Euthymol which is strong and old-school but not "all natural" exactly.

I think flossing is a must tho. I really saw an improvement in acne round my mouth and chin when I started flossing religiously :)

I forgot to mention...

...as far as "nutrition" and dental health go, I eat an organic apple everyday on my walk to work... the biting action through the apple is a great way to clean the teeth naturally.

-Cleric

I forgot to mention...

...as far as "nutrition" and dental health go, I eat an organic apple everyday on my walk to work... the biting action through the apple is a great way to clean the teeth naturally.

-Cleric

Absolutely correct. It's a great idea to eat an apple evey day after lunch, especially if you can't brush.

Cleric,

Did your dentist have anything good or bad to say about hydrogen peroxide use on teeth? Is there any discomfort or sensitivity?

I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try instead of the over the counter stuff ...

Cleric,

Did your dentist have anything good or bad to say about hydrogen peroxide use on teeth? Is there any discomfort or sensitivity?

I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try instead of the over the counter stuff ...

I started using it about 2 months after my last checkup (was in late March)... I guess I'll find out when I go again in October.

As far as sensitivity, there is some on the rare occasion, but I find it's only on a specific tooth (and it's never the same tooth)... the weird thing is that is creates a white film on the affected/sensitive area. I never really thought to look into it, but it seems that when this occurs it's a sign that the HP is attacking the germs (this is only a guess).

PS. HP is a bleaching agent, so yes... while it can whiten your teeth, be careful not spill any on your clothes or hair.

-Cleric

i think it's so interesting that dental health is a sign of other/overall health.

crazy.

what's the hydrogen peroxide taste like as a mouth wash?!

kinda scared to try that

Guest missyjean130

I floss with plackers brand floss picks...I go into each space 4 times

Then I dry brush for a minute,then brush with toothpaste for a minute.

After the paste rinses out of my mouth completely I use act restoring moutwash.

I also chew trident gum everyday and brush after drink/eating something carbonated or sugary

kinda scared to try that

It's rather tasteless... so I can't really describe it. :confused:

Why are you scared of trying it? Thousands of people around the world ingest H202 for general health... that said, there should be no harm in simply gargling with it and then spitting it out. Just make sure you use the 3% concentration (this is extremely important... you don't want anything higher than that).

I also chew trident gum everyday and brush after drink/eating something carbonated or sugary

Quite the regimen! :)

Why are you scared of trying it? Thousands of people around the world ingest H202 for general health... that said, there should be no harm in simply gargling with it and then spitting it out. Just make sure you use the 3% concentration (this is extremely important... you don't want anything higher than that).

I brush with an electric toothbrush and use homemade toothpaste. I make the paste with coconut oil (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal), baking soda (mild abrasive), xylitol (breaks down plaque), and a few drops of peppermint essential oil (for aroma and flavoring).

For more info, go here: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_toothpaste

I use basically the same recipe too :). I got the idea from here. There's also a really interesting video on the page as well, be sure to watch it.

It's definitely the best "toothpaste" I've ever used though; my teeth never really got plaque or anything on them really but now they're constantly smooth. I highly recommend trying it.

Guest missyjean130

kinda scared to try that

Quite the regimen! :)

When I was 14 my boyfriend said my breath stunk when i leaned in to kiss him....I haven't been the same since

If you have bad breath and want to cure it, try this. I have and it really works. This was taken from here

Eliminating Bad Breath and virtually eliminating any future cavities or gum disease is something that is so simple to do, and cost so little, yet why do you think no one has ever told you how before? Do you know how much money dentist and companies that produce Bad Breath products would loose if you knew? I am not talking about using over the counter mouth wash, gums, or mints. I am talking about Emilinating Bad Breath forever, and the only way to this, is to change the environment in your mouth from one that supports the growth of the VSC-producing bacteria (Bad Breath Bacteria) to one that will not.

I know the post is long, but I will show you how you can eliminate your Bad Breath forever. Not only will I show you how, but I will also show you how to prevent you from getting gum disease, (or reversing gum disease if you already have it) and drastically decreasing the chance of ever getting another cavity. I know that is a strong statement to make, but it?s true. Just take a few minutes to read the entire post, and if you follow my guidelines, you will NEVER have bad breath again (I don?t care if you have the worst breath in the world. This will work on 99% of people). It only takes 5 min a day, and will cost you almost nothing.

Bad Breath Will Kill Your Game

One of the biggest killers to your game is bad odors. Whether that be Body Odor, or Bad Breath. No matter how well your set is going, if every time you open your mouth, or you go to kiss close, and all they can smell is your rotting breath, GAME OVER! Your sense of smell it the strongest sense tied to memory. So a bad smell from you will leave a permanent negative impression about you. BB (Bad Breath) is embarrassing to have, and will effect your self esteem, especially if you don?t know how to eliminate it. It is very important to smell good when you are gaming. And that?s not to mean that you have to be wearing a gallon of colon, it simply means you cannot smell bad, and that includes your breath.

Most people either don?t know they have BB, or just don?t know how to eliminate it. Taking a piece of gun, eating a mint, brushing your teeth 10 times a day or using mouth wash like scope or Listerine are all useless and will not work!! When I say useless, I mean they are useless at killing bad breath causing bacteria.

What Causes Bad Breath

I know, who cares why you have BB. You just want to know how to get rid of it, right? It?s important to have a little understanding of why in order to avoid and eliminate BB.

99% of all bad breath is cause by anaerobic bacteria found in your mouth. As a byproduct of their normal function, they excrete a variety of sulfur compounds. These compounds are very foul smelling. They include hydrogen sulfide (the smell of rotting eggs) and methyl mercaptan (the essence of skunk oil). Together, they are all commonly referred to as Volatile Sulfur Compounds (VSCs). Everyone has some level of unpleasant VSCs present in there breath. Fortunately, low levels of these smelly compounds can?t be detected by the human nose. However, sometime the number of VSC-producing bacteria in the mouth can increase dramatically there by causing high levels of VSC witch can now be detected by the human noise, and as such, Bad Breath. This is a short version as to why. I don?t think we need to go into it any further. Ok, enough with the science lesson. Let?s get on to learning how to get rid of it.

How To Eliminate Bad Breath

I must point out here that bad breath is usually not caused by poor dental hygiene, in spite of what your dentist might say. You can brush your teeth all day long and probably still have bad breath.

As I mentioned earlier, the BB bacteria?s are ?anaerobic? witch means that they thrive in a low-oxygen environment. The only way to insure that you can permanently eliminate bad breath is to change the environment in your mouth from one that supports the growth of the VSC-producing bacteria to one that will not. How do you achieve this? You introduce a high amount of oxygen into the place where the bacteria ?hang-out?

This is what your need:

1.Thooth Brush and Tooth past (I personally like Colgate Total, but it?s a matter of preference)

2.Floss or Floss tape (I prefer using the flossing tape. Does a better job, and isn?t as hard on my gums)

3.Tongue Scraper (if you don?t have one, you can use your tooth brush for now).

4.Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution (do not get higher then 3%)

5.Backing soda

6.Salt

7.Two clean glass

You should perform the following Steps 1-5 twice a day. Once in the morning, and once at night (exception of Step 1, witch should only be done once a day) or before you go out sarging

Step 1: Floss

I know, it?s a pain in the ass and I personally don?t like doing it. But it?s important that you do. Try and do it once a day. If you can?t do it once a day, at least every second day. If you haven?t flossed regularly before, then you may notice your gums may bleed. That?s normal, and it?s nothing to worry about. The reason they bleed is because you have week gums cause by bacteria. Keep flossing. Your gums will get stronger and eventual stop bleeding. Using floss tape instead of regular floss will be more gentile on your gums, and in my opinion, does a better job.

Step 2: Brushing Your Teeth

Basic stuff. Most people here know how to brush there teeth. Just make sure you brush your teeth thoroughly. Spend 1-2 minute brushing all areas of your mouth. Top, bottom, sides, back and front of your teeth. Leave no area unbrushed (except your tongue as we will discuss in step three)

Step 3: Tongue Cleaning

Most of the BB casing bacteria live on your tongue and at the back of your throat, so it is very important to make sure you clean your tongue thoroughly. You should pay particular attention to the back of your tongue.

There are two methods you can do this. One, is using a tongue scraper. They are cheap (only a couple of $$) to buy. Your local drug store should have one. If not, do a search online to find one. Second way is simply use your tooth brush. What ever tongue scraper you use, use it gently, but firmly.

For this explanation, Ill assume you are using a tooth brush (though if you have a tongue scraper, use it in the same way). The reason you want to scrape the tongue is to get the mucous and other materials from the surface off your tongue, and to expose the BB bacteria for Step number four. The proper way to scrap your tongue if in a BACK TO FOWARD motion. Do not scrap from front to back. Take your tooth brush, go as far back on your tongue as you can without choking yourself, and gently, but firmly brush your tongue in a back to forward motion. About a dozen scrapes should be sufficient.

(Note: A tongue scraper will do a better job than your tooth brush. You should buy one as soon as you can. Many companies will claim that a tongue scraper in itself is enough to eliminate BB. Wrong! This is not the case.

Step 4: Bad Breath Killer

Until now, all the steps have mostly been common sense. Step 4 is the Bad Breath bacteria killer! What you need is Hydrogen Peroxide (I?ll call it HP for now). HP or H2O2 is a liquid that is made up of two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms. It looks just like water but has that extra oxygen molecule witch makes it a powerful oxidizer. You can buy it in many different concentration from 3% - 99%. You only want to use the 3%. Anything higher is to strong. You can buy this at any drug store, and only cost about 1$ - 3$ for a 500ml bottle.

This is what you do. Get a clean glass with 1 part water. (for this example, I?ll use 25ml as one part water) Add salt to the water. (the salt is use as an abrasive) Add one part HP (25ml for this example) into the salty water mix. Take the solution, and simply gargle and swish it around your mouth for minimum of 1 minute. Two minutes is ideal though. Use a stop watch if you have to. Make sure you gargle well to get to your back of your throat where a lot of the BB bacteria grow. Then spit it out and rinse with plain water. You don?t want to swallow the HP mix.

Step 5: Changing The Environment

Get some backing Soda. Don?t take the one that?s sitting in that back of your fridge absorbing all the bad odors lol?. Backing soda is very alkaline (the opposite to acidic) and as such, will lower the acidity of your mouth, witch will create an environment opposite of what BB bacteria thrive in.

Mix 3 parts backing soda with one part salt. Get a clean glass. Mix the backing soda/salt with one part water. Do the same as step four. Gargle and swish it around your mouth for at least one minute, two minutes is ideal. Again, use a stop watch if you have to. Spit it out once you done, and rinse with water.

Tip: When "gargeling" in Step 4 - 5 to reach the far back regions of your throat, tilt your head back, open your mouth wide, and try sticking your tongue out when you gargle. This will open up the back of your throat, and let you clean the back of your throat that you normally wouldn?t be able to reach. To me, this is very easy to do, but when you first try it, some people may have trouble and find that it makes them choke. Just go easy when you first try this. Tilt your head back, start grageling. Then slowly open your mouth until you feel comfortable. Then slowly stick your tongue out until you feel comfortable. Should be easy for most people to do.

Perform steps 1-5 twice a day, (except for flossing witch should be done once a day) or right before you go out gaming. That?s it! Should only take about 5 min. One thing to remember, this is not a I?ll do it once, and my BB will be gone. The goal here is to change the environment of your mouth so BB bacteria can?t survive. It may take a few day?s, or if you have severe bad breath, it may take a week. But use it twice a day, everyday, and you WILL ELIMINATE your bad breath forever, and virtually eliminate any future cavities and gun disease.

Preventing Cavities & Gum Disease

Without getting technical, cavities are caused by bacteria witch eat away at your tooth. Step 4 and 5 in conjuction with Step's 1-3 will work miracles at preventing you from ever getting another cavity and virtually eliminate your chances of getting gum disease by killing those batteries that cause the problem. I used to brush twice a day, everyday and floss regularly. But yet I would still always get cavities no matter what I did. Since I started using Step 4 and 5, I haven?t had a cavity in years..

Before I finish, I just want to point out a few more thing you should do to keep your BB down.

BB bacteria thrive in a Dry mouth, so keep your mouth wet. Make sure you drink lot?s of water. Try not to breath out of your mouth, try not to spit to much, as saliva help keep BB down. Gum helps to keep your mouth salivated as well, but if you have BB, gum will not get rid of it, only mask it. Don?t use strong mints. Kissing someone with a strong mint breath is not always pleasant. People take these thinking it will freshen your breath. The freshest breath you can have is no smell at all. Follow this guide, and that?s what you will have. Stay away from mouth wash such as Listerine and Scope. They claim to kill bad breath causing bacteria. Can you say Scam? They do not work. I could write an entire article on why, but I won?t get into that. They also have a strong smell that I personally don?t like. Kissing someone after they use Listerine is nasty! Stay Away from Over the counter mouth wash! Obviously, smoking is very bad for your breath as well.

NOTE: Please note that you can still get BB by eating certain foods such as garlic and onions, taking certain prescription drugs as well as some medical conditions. This kind of Bad Breath is usually something witch enters the bloodstream where they are carried to the lungs and expel the compounds from the body by way of the air that we exhale. This is less than 1% of all bad breath, and won't affect most of us here. Garlic breath is temporary, and BB from medical conditions are rare.

Guest missyjean130

Mmm...I love floss tape but I can never find it.

Sometimes I floss to reduce stress,aint that odd?

And to the above poster,my boyfriend has insane bad breath but when he drinks water through the day it really helps. But I'll also recommend your routine to him and hope and pray it actually works lol.I hate kissing him =(

Mmm...I love floss tape but I can never find it.

Sometimes I floss to reduce stress,aint that odd?

And to the above poster,my boyfriend has insane bad breath but when he drinks water through the day it really helps. But I'll also recommend your routine to him and hope and pray it actually works lol.I hate kissing him =(

Yes drinking water definitely helps because your mouth doesn't get as dried out. But I guarantee this cheap, simple, and effective regimen will cure anyone's bad breath. Just do it once or twice a week.

Step 5: Changing The Environment

Get some backing Soda. Don?t take the one that?s sitting in that back of your fridge absorbing all the bad odors lol?. Backing soda is very alkaline (the opposite to acidic) and as such, will lower the acidity of your mouth, witch will create an environment opposite of what BB bacteria thrive in.

That's not right. Very few things can live in an acidic environment. Lowering the acidity would allow more bacteria to thrive. It's the same with the surface of the skin and alkaline soap or baking soda scrubs stripping the acid mantle.

That's not right. Very few things can live in an acidic environment. Lowering the acidity would allow more bacteria to thrive. It's the same with the surface of the skin and alkaline soap or baking soda scrubs stripping the acid mantle.

As I mentioned, I did not write that article. I think most of what he says is accurate though. And it has certainly cured my bad breath.

The baking soda/peroxide combo is very true for getting rid of bad breath. Mouthwashing don't work because they dry your mouth further and have alcohol... both make bad breath worse! Brushing your teeth with Arm & Hammer's Baking soda/peroxide toothpaste for 1-2 minutes (including the tongue, and be sure to let the toothpaste sit on the tongue at least a minute), and flossing should do the trick. Here's a more natural baking sodea/peroxide, but I don't know anyone that's tried it.

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

Anyone read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price. You can gather a lot of information about this topic from there.