Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aasaalhum

does anyone feel severely depressed about his/her acne?

...because i have been. and i'm 23. i feel like i shouldn't feel this way at my age but i don't know what to do about it. any hope i had of making it into dental school has faded because of this. all i can think about is how if you look at students accepted into med and dental schools...they don't have acne. and if they do, it's very light and not like what i'm dealing with. and then of course there's the fact that students going into the health field should be well adjusted and i feel as though feeling like this about acne is an indication that i am NOT well adjusted. and it's taking its toll on me. fortunately my acne is better controlled now than it was a month ago, but this has really been horrible for me.

I most definitely know exactly how you feel, acne hurts me more emotionally than anything else.

There are days when iam completely surrounded by people with flawless skin which makes me very AWARE of my horrible acne. I think you should just keep your spirits up so your chances of making it to dental school WONT fade, as much as it hurts on the inside you gotta show them you dont even realize its there & people will see you for YOU not as the dude/chick with acne. Trust me it works, im in high school so i know how tough it is to be accepted with the way you look.

(:

...because i have been. and i'm 23. i feel like i shouldn't feel this way at my age but i don't know what to do about it. any hope i had of making it into dental school has faded because of this. all i can think about is how if you look at students accepted into med and dental schools...they don't have acne. and if they do, it's very light and not like what i'm dealing with. and then of course there's the fact that students going into the health field should be well adjusted and i feel as though feeling like this about acne is an indication that i am NOT well adjusted. and it's taking its toll on me. fortunately my acne is better controlled now than it was a month ago, but this has really been horrible for me.

Oh yeah. I hv been depressed looking at the condition of my skin. Im still battling cystic acne. I went to the doc and was prescribed doxycycline n spironolactone. I think spiro medicine are only for women. Anyway after a mth of taking those antibiotic, i still break out. Only different is those cystic are smaller than it used to be. I learned not to pick on it. Let it grow n then let it pop by itself. Usually the cystic on my forehead will pop by itself but not on my cheek. So those cystic on my cheek i will just let it be until i see a blackhead n i know it can be popped. Blood n pus will squirt out. Sounds disgusting i know. LOL. 2 weeks ago i went to the dermatology. Since im still on doxy, she told me to wait till i finished that medicine before getting Isolaz treatment. But in the meantime she recommended me this mask. Its called Lerosett. N my breakouts has been so much lesser. I really think that mask really helps me in slowly clearing my skin. I used it every other day when my acne was bad. Now i used i once every 2 or 3 days. I will really recommend it to someone who cant afford to go to the derma or no insurance. It might helps. Goggle lerosett and u will find it. That mask cost USD34. Good luck.

Right now I feel too ugly to take my dog for a walk. I get turned down by every employer possible even fast food places, and I have government work experience (3yrs). I'm a 24 yr old student and spend most of my time depressed and at home. When I go out children look at me like I'm a deranged troll. People think my face is the result of drug use ie. meth, crack, or I'm just some vagrant bum, and I get called all sorts of names, even by profs in Uni. People just seem to find a way to hate me. I used to be good looking too but never knew it and always had low self esteem. Its all downhill from here, and I guess I'm just waiting for the ride to end.

Hopefully your life doesn't suck this bad.

Did i mention I'm a pessimist now too?

keep the chin up man. Life can be a bitch with acne.. but its best to stop focusing on it so much and try do things that cheer u up or make u happy

Keep trying different treatments in the meantime. What kinda acne do u have btw?

I'm in your boat. I've had acne since I was about 13 and my dad says he didn't stop getting acne until his early 20's. I'm not there yet, but of course I just assume it's bullshit and I'll have acne the rest of my life :P

No, but I too get really depressed from acne. It happens in cycles sorta for me. Some days I'm fine, other days I'm just frustrated and other I feel like utter shit.

But I bet my situation is worse than yours. Is your chest, shoulders and back covered with red marks and keloid scars? Fuck the acne, I'm talking scars which don't go away. You think the acne is bad, the keloid scars are 10x worse! They have very little treatments available and are far more ugly. You think everyone has better facial skin (which they all do I swear to fucking god) but they also no question have a clear chest.

Honest to god, I think I'm going to die an alone virgin. These fucking scars and this fucking skin DISEASE give me ZERO self esteem/confidence to talk to chicks. Please keep YOUR chin up, because I'm telling you I bet my skin is worse than yours.

I'm in your boat. I've had acne since I was about 13 and my dad says he didn't stop getting acne until his early 20's. I'm not there yet, but of course I just assume it's bullshit and I'll have acne the rest of my life :P

No, but I too get really depressed from acne. It happens in cycles sorta for me. Some days I'm fine, other days I'm just frustrated and other I feel like utter shit.

But I bet my situation is worse than yours. Is your chest, shoulders and back covered with red marks and keloid scars? Fuck the acne, I'm talking scars which don't go away. You think the acne is bad, the keloid scars are 10x worse! They have very little treatments available and are far more ugly. You think everyone has better facial skin (which they all do I swear to fucking god) but they also no question have a clear chest.

Honest to god, I think I'm going to die an alone virgin. These fucking scars and this fucking skin DISEASE give me ZERO self esteem/confidence to talk to chicks. Please keep YOUR chin up, because I'm telling you I bet my skin is worse than yours.

I suffer from keloids scars, too at my chin. Thanks God (and touch wood) that they are not too big. Even on days when my skin is really clear and I look gorgeous, there are still some stupid and inconsiderate people trying to approach me just to satisfy their curiousness of "What the heck is it on your chin?".

And have I ever felt depressed because of my acne? Yes, quite often. And TODAY also as although I'm on Accutane, I still have three cysts, two of them on both the left and right side of my face are horribly huge, red, painful and swollen :( And guess which can be worse? I have to cancel my date with a very good catch and try to wait till Sunday in a hope that I may look a bit better :( Life sucks! (But thanks God that I'm still able to afford my Accutane and other medication)

Oh yeah. I hv been depressed looking at the condition of my skin. Im still battling cystic acne. I went to the doc and was prescribed doxycycline n spironolactone. I think spiro medicine are only for women. Anyway after a mth of taking those antibiotic, i still break out. Only different is those cystic are smaller than it used to be. I learned not to pick on it. Let it grow n then let it pop by itself. Usually the cystic on my forehead will pop by itself but not on my cheek. So those cystic on my cheek i will just let it be until i see a blackhead n i know it can be popped. Blood n pus will squirt out. Sounds disgusting i know. LOL. 2 weeks ago i went to the dermatology. Since im still on doxy, she told me to wait till i finished that medicine before getting Isolaz treatment. But in the meantime she recommended me this mask. Its called Lerosett. N my breakouts has been so much lesser. I really think that mask really helps me in slowly clearing my skin. I used it every other day when my acne was bad. Now i used i once every 2 or 3 days. I will really recommend it to someone who cant afford to go to the derma or no insurance. It might helps. Goggle lerosett and u will find it. That mask cost USD34. Good luck.

yea, dude I found the lerosett Acne clay but its a little expensive,....I have tried Accutane and Isotrexin N many other but they never helped,,... will it really help

Yea, I know exactly what you mean. For me it was definetly a real problem during highschool and a couple years after I graduated. I tend to be a bit more a the sensitive/quiet/self-conscious side anywayz and the acne definetly influenced it to become worse. It was hard to go out in public in being the type of guy I was by nature (sensitive, compassionate) let alone having acne which influenced me in retreating into a self-absorbed, narcisstic shell. I mean, it was hard enough getting girls to like me for me, let alone having acne on top of that and dealing with some family issues on the side.

Some days I felt like a complete failure, not only because I had acne but being the type of person I was already. I had a zero positive attitude about myself and others. I started acting like someone I wasn't, putting on an ego/persona to try to "puff" myself up and make me appear to be confident and unaware of my current predictament/insecurities. I became so self-asborbed that it was hard for me to say something positive about others and actually "Meaning" it!! Thats the one thing about being depressed/self asborbed; You think your being genuine to others but your really not. The truth of the matter is that "its all about you" but Satan/yourself tricks you into thinking that your the most caring person in the world because you have these problems with acne/personal insecurities but your really doing it to make yourself feel better. Let alone, all the blamming and emoutional outbursts that can come with feeeling so low about yourself.

Let me tell you something that would of benefited me immensly when I first had major outbreaks of acne "Stop carrying what others think". If you do, your whole life will be controlled and determined for you by what others "Might" think of you. Part of the problem is we choose to listen to hollywood that true acceptance comes by "Looks" and not what you have to offer character wise. So, when we have the slightest problem with our physical appearance, we automatically go running for the cave because we fear that people won't except us because we're "different" then the norm. The truth is we're all different anywayz (personality/appearance) and yet we find out ways to make it work in everyday life.

Stop letting what others think and what Hollywood considers "acceptable" determine your outlook on life. Believe or not, theirs people in everyday life and in Hollywood that are just as insecure as we are or if they weren't, they wouldn't be giving you a hard time or wouldn't be afraid to come into contact with you.

If you want to be a dentist, then be a dentist. Let your skills/knowledge of denistry and your personal character (work ethic) outshine the person on the outside. If people treat you like dirt, then let them because more than likely their dirty on the inside. Genuine people will accept you no matter what you look like, let alone true friends! Don't be like me and waste opportunities because of what people said based on what you looked like or appeared to know or whatt they think you can do.

Another truth is "Its not always what we look like that people don't like /accept us for but it's letting the fact of what we have, influence us into being the type of people we later become/are". People honestly don't really like being around depressed/gloom and doom people, rather they like Positive, optimistic, and encouraging people. You can let people know that you have acne and it's affecting you but let them know your doing your best to deal with "what is" and your pushing through in the end. Its hard I know but " its better to focus on and executing the techniques/steps that'll get us where we want to be, rather than comparing what we are currently, to where we want to finally be".

I hope you start to feel alittle better and more importantly "act on" the logistics of the situation. Take care and keep holding on".

I was pretty depressed yesterday. I called off work and stayed at home all day. Didn't even go outside to get the mail. Sad, huh?

I took a whole week off last week simply because I squeezed the hell out of a nodule that I shouldnt have, and left myself with a huge red mark all along my right hand side of my face, it was sickening, and nope I didnt leave my place either, its not the first time its happened, it affects us all...

Im back in work today, and my skin has calmed down-ish, but it really dictates my life most times,

And yeah it dosent help when you see people with perfect skin, who really dont look after it (and dont need to, lucky b**tards...)

I was pretty depressed yesterday. I called off work and stayed at home all day. Didn't even go outside to get the mail. Sad, huh?

I took a whole week off last week simply because I squeezed the hell out of a nodule that I shouldnt have, and left myself with a huge red mark all along my right hand side of my face, it was sickening, and nope I didnt leave my place either, its not the first time its happened, it affects us all...

Im back in work today, and my skin has calmed down-ish, but it really dictates my life most times,

And yeah it dosent help when you see people with perfect skin, who really dont look after it (and dont need to, lucky b**tards...)

Man I am definitely feeling you today. My derma put me on Bactrim after a string of other treatments (topical treatments and oral antibiotics, 10 years of this stuff on and off) didn't work for me. Finally, I've taken my first blood test so that I can start Accutane in a month, but my face is so bad right now that I just want to cry. I can't even look people straight in the face because I know they must just be wondering why I have such large lumps on my face! I put on some makeup when I have to leave the house, but there is just no way to hide acne nodules this large! Just horrible... I wish I could wear a bag over my head all the time. I am just hoping tthat the Accutane will finally give me some relief. I don't care if I must endure dry skin and if I never have kids... I never wanted any, anyway. I just want to be rid of these ugly, painful things!

The worst is that everyone thinks that they're freaking experts, too. They tell you it is your diet, it is not enough sleep, it is this or or that and they don't know anything!!! I eat very well, thank you, and wash and follow a daily regimen and have been seeing dermatologists forever. People don't know that and are so quick to tell you what you are/aren't doing. Just want to crawl into a hole and never come out...

Man I am definitely feeling you today. My derma put me on Bactrim after a string of other treatments (topical treatments and oral antibiotics, 10 years of this stuff on and off) didn't work for me. Finally, I've taken my first blood test so that I can start Accutane in a month, but my face is so bad right now that I just want to cry. I can't even look people straight in the face because I know they must just be wondering why I have such large lumps on my face! I put on some makeup when I have to leave the house, but there is just no way to hide acne nodules this large! Just horrible... I wish I could wear a bag over my head all the time. I am just hoping tthat the Accutane will finally give me some relief. I don't care if I must endure dry skin and if I never have kids... I never wanted any, anyway. I just want to be rid of these ugly, painful things!

The worst is that everyone thinks that they're freaking experts, too. They tell you it is your diet, it is not enough sleep, it is this or or that and they don't know anything!!! I eat very well, thank you, and wash and follow a daily regimen and have been seeing dermatologists forever. People don't know that and are so quick to tell you what you are/aren't doing. Just want to crawl into a hole and never come out...

I am the same exact way. I took off two days of work this weekend just so i could stay at home and not face the outside world for a little bit. It is so sad but i can not help it, i am so tired of it. No matter what i try or do it never works and then ya you get to see all your friends and ppl on TV with perfect skin makes me even more depressed knowing i was once there too and i took it for granted. I would give all my possesions i have away just to have clear skin again. I am in the military and been in 8 years. Every summer i have went home and visited family and friends. Since i started getting this horrible re-occuring acne last winter, i didn't even go home for vacation this year. I just told everyone it was due to work. I just can not deal with people seeing me this way, especially the ones that matter most to me even though i know they wouldnt care either way, but it does to me. I realize too that my acne is not even really that severe compared to a lot of others on here, but its not that, what pisses me off and depresses me every day is that i can not get rid of it and be clear like i once was before. I am 28 years old you would think at this age it wouldn't be so bad to handle. All i want to do is sleep and waste away the days hiding from everyone. My acne is around cheeks, chin and mouth. I get the worse ones too near same lower corners of mouth near lip. Get red and irratated and stay forever making it worse looking. I try to stop looking in the mirror every 30min but its like an addiction, and i know its only making it worse. I just need to see the light of hope and right now all i see is darkness and despair. I think i am screwed with this forever and there is no way out. ugh!!!!!

am feeling very depress this whole week and called off work two days ago cuz i was breaking out and my scars dont make it better at all. ive thought about selling my 350z quiting my job just to stay in doors and hide but i cant cuz am a provider helping my parents with rent but if i wasnt i would quit. i have a friend at work that always i mean always keeps me motivated and gives me eye contact every time no matter how bad my face looks hes a good friend and its always good to have some one like him. ive asked god why this happened to me? but then i again others have it worse so ill deal with it

today as been horrific, ive cried all day today because my 2 month wait for a derm appointment was cancelled. im getting really desperate, i have work tomo, and i am dreading it. i got upset again upon reading this forum and seeing how all you guys are suffering too :/

Yea this forum can kinda get people down. How about you just go out to enjoy yourself, and forget about your acne and whatnot.

yeah sometimes i feel really depressed but then sometimes i dont give a f>@#k and just go out and forget about my acne until some stupid person reminds me of my acne and tries to give me remedies and crap then i feel bad again!!

Acne actually has stopped me from doing some things i wanna do witch really sucks. But it isn't to bad for me so thats good. =D

I was never really depressed about acne, just my whole face in general.

But, you know what? One day I woke up and decided not to be upset any more. It's not like I will wake up to a new face so all that crying wasn't doing any good. Unless I want to somehow make thousands of dollars to purchase a new one... I'm stuck with this face. I'll work with what I have.

I'm in college as well and I thought I was done with acne (that MAYBE I've started to outgrow it) b/c I didn't really break out anymore. My skin was actually clear and I've never been happier. But then all of a sudden, it just came back a few months ago and the regimen I was on for years couldn't keep it under control. It was horrible. And now, well....lets just say this is the worse summer of my life.

Whenever I think I'm getting somewhat better, I see a new pimple (like TODAY!). I understand that if I just went out and lived my life as usual or thought happy thoughts I would prbly feel better. You know the saying, 'mind over matter,' yeah? Well, it's hard to when the "matter" is so much more obvious. AH Needless to say I haven't been as sociable nor as happy. (Okay, total understatement)

And what hurts even more is when some of my friends think I'm overexaggerating and it all comes off as indifference. It's not the lack of comfort that bothers me, but how they don't even try to understand how I might even feel.

I'm tired of shedding tears, of being mired in self-deprecation, but regardless of how sick I am of all this, the thoughts and tears just keep coming.

I feel just as hurt, insecure, and depressed as prbly all of you here. And though it's slightly comforting that there are ppl that understand what I'm saying and going through, that feeling is quickly overshadowed by the fact that I'm not the only one going through this. Knowing that these feelings are shared among others makes me even more depressed.

But if anyone wants someone to talk to, I'm all ears =).

Yes. =( I think last year, November through January, was the worst time for me, because I felt very alone and I had this damn ACNE, which I felt prevented people from knowing the real me, and I felt ugly, and just. Gah. Not a good time for me.

I've been feeling much better lately, but I think that's because it's summer and I don't have to deal with people at school who have perfect skin every day. =(

You can always put it off until your skin gets better.

I'm getting worse because school is just around the corner. I'm not ready to go back looking just as I did when I left, when I was really hoping that I'd find something that would work for me over the summer. It's hard to believe that people can go around everyday, without their skin getting all oily and without any blemishes...but then ALL of my friends and practically everyone I know is like that and it makes me sick, how unfair that is...and how I can't do anything about it. People are so lucky. I don't even know what it's like to have a normal life anymore, cause even though I still go out with my friends and pretend like my skin isn't messed up, I'm still thinking about it and noticing how flawless theirs is and doing little things like avoiding eye contact. I've been wanting to wear my hair up at school too...but it looks like I won't be this year. Not when my skin looks shiny and oily with blemishes galore. I don't have a face to show off.