Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gabs88

Clogged Pores or Something Else?

I've been dealing with bumpy and congested looking skin for a while now. It seems to be mostly concentrated on my forehead, nose, and cheeks. I've tried using Retin-A (about a year and a half), while it did help whenever I had an inflamed pimple (which is usually around that time of the month and I usually just get one, if any), it did very little to help with my pores and overall texture of my skin. I doubt there's much I can do about my pore size, besides I'm pretty sure its genetic, because my mother and grandmother have large pores as well. Anyway, I've tried masks, AHA, BHA. The products would work for a little bit, but eventually would stop being effective. The bumpiness and large pores are emphasized in harsh light or sunlight and my skin looks very congested. I don't know if I've just been irritating my skin and causing further bumpiness or what? After I wash my skin, it feels a little dry and tight and then gets oily afterwards.

Anyway, I've always assumed that my pores were clogged, but I've been reading about other skin conditions and I wonder if there is a possibility that it's something else. Any help would be nice. Also, does this look like it be caused due to hormonal issues? I don't think I have any, but I'm just wondering.

wow, i dont think u have large pores at all. Yours are not visible at all. U should see mine, they are huge craters on my cheeks and a little smaller on the rest of my face. None on my forehead. Lately, I've been trying Paula Choice 1%BHA lotion to rid my face of getting clogged in the first place. It has helped but does nothing to make them look smaller

It doesn't look hormonal- hormonal is usually bigger, inflammed and on the lower part of the face.

That looks like it could be folliculitis. Try washing the affected area with Nizoral twice a day, making sure you let it sit on your skin for 3-5 minutes. If it's folliculitis, you should start seeing improvements in a week.

I HAVE THIS TOO!!! expecially on my forehead!!!!! my derm gave me ziana and its not making me break out on my cheeks with inflamed acne. so i deal with this on my forehead and chin and the stuff ziana did to my cheeks.

is there anywhere to get rid of this crap? i never had this acne before. i thought proactiv caused it.

tbh I am unsure I had this way back when, it developed into severe acne. Some people just have this and it goes away as this type of condition seems very common amon greasier oliy skin . i tihnk it is acne related, not necesarily an issue of large pores etc

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So far, I've been trying to keep my regimen simple. I use a sulfate-free cleanser and I've implemented Weleda Skin Food to help with the flakiness on my nose and cheeks and it has helped A LOT. I was a little scared to put it on, just because of how thick and greasy and the fact that it is not oil-free, but I was so desperate to find something that would actually moisturize my skin and this helped more than anything else and my skin hasn't looked and tight and shiny likely it usually does. I don't want to overuse it, so I'll probably just use it every other night or two. I also did a yogurt mask and that helped to soften my skin as well. I'm probably going to make an appointment with a derm, because the bumps on my forehead are so stubborn and do not respond to topical acne treatments very much. Someone mentioned folliculitis, and that's exactly what I think it is. The bumps form in clusters along my hairline, as well as my forehead, and seemed to get red and irritated after I wash my hair.

Does your forehead itch? Does it gets worse when in high tempratures or when you sweat? Have you ever been on antibiotics?

If you can answer yes to some of those you may very likely have a folliculitis. As the person above said just buy a bottle of Nizoral shampoo and try lathering it up in the shower and apply small amounts around your forehead. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash off. If it is folliculitis you will see improvement very quickly.

Does your forehead itch? Does it gets worse when in high tempratures or when you sweat? Have you ever been on antibiotics?

If you can answer yes to some of those you may very likely have a folliculitis. As the person above said just buy a bottle of Nizoral shampoo and try lathering it up in the shower and apply small amounts around your forehead. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash off. If it is folliculitis you will see improvement very quickly.

I have the same thing as she has on my forehead.

Isn't Nizoral a shampoo for dandruff? Don't most shampoos contain sulfates and pore clogging-ingredients? What exactly in the Nizoral helps if it turns out to be folliculitis?

It is a shampoo for dandruff, and it has the active ingredient ketoconazol which is anti-fungal. Ofcourse there are other options if your skin is very sensitive, but many people are fine and do not break out from using it - after all you wash off again.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you have acne. Nizoral will not help. You have what I have.

I tried BP, AHA, BHAs and nothing worked. Only squeezing worked. Right now I am trying the last method of defense - Green Cream. This stuff makes acne come out to the surface, purge, and then shed away!

that's acne.

trust me on this one, i had this a year ago. then i went crazy and paranoid about it.

i made it a million times worse thanks to my paranoia which led to cystic acne.

thank goodness it subsided, after a year, and going through hell and derms etc. and now i pretty much dont do anything with my skin.

I still have non inlamed acne, but damn, i've learned my lesson. I'm just letting it be, it's not so bad. i suppose you learn that when you get full blown cystic acne. you just get your eyes opened.

Don't sweat it. just be gentle to your skin, don't stress over it and be healthy. trust me, it'll all just pass.