Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LQP

Mineral Makeup - To Prime or Not to Prime?

For all you mineral makeup users out there:

1. Do you use a primer?
  2. Why do you use or not use a primer?
  3. When do you put the primer on (especially if you are using the regimen - it seems like it would be a lot > cleanse, treatment, moisturize, prime, makeup)?
  4. What primer do you use & what MMU?
  5. Is it worth it?
  6. What's your view on primer and acne?

1. Yes, I use a primer for mineral make-up.

2. I use a primer to help my skin from getting too oily, also to help the mineral make-up last longer throughout the day since I don't really get to touch it up.

3. It only takes a few seconds really. Cleanse > spot treat with bp (dries quick) > moisturize with AHA and cetaphil > prime > make up.

4. I use the BE "Prime Time" , their products don't have any negative effects, plus I've used so much money on their brushes and make-up that it's not really worth switching to EM. MMU?

5. Depends on your skin I think, the weather you're in, and what are you doing during the day. I use it every time with mineral make-up because of my oily skin and I'm outside a lot.

6. I think it's safe, you really only use a little bit of primer. Maybe a little less than a size of a dime.

1. Do you use a primer?

I don't use a cream/gel primer, but I do use a powder primer.

I haven't found a liquid primer which hasn't broken me out, though I'll admit I've only tried the BE Prime Time. It broke me out, and my makeup just slicked RIGHT OFF... It didn't work well at all. This went straight back to Sephora. I'm wary of anything with silicones in it. I'm eyeing the Korres primer though, which has no silicone. I tried the LORAC water-based primer at Sephora, and it didn't feel like it had any adhesion properties. The Korres is pretty expensive though, I don't wanna shell out ~$30. I'll get it when I can justify the price. I'm glad Sephora has such a great return policy. :)

I use Meow's Oily Skin Primer under my makeup. It's a powder, with kaolin clay and silk powder. It makes my makeup stick on a little better, but I'm not sure it does much in terms of oil production.

3. When do you put the primer on (especially if you are using the regimen - it seems like it would be a lot > cleanse, treatment, moisturize, prime, makeup)?

Not really for my powder primer, I consider it part of the makeup step. I could see how it might be more with a liquid primer though, since you'd have to wait for it to dry.

Meow's Premiere Puss Oily Skin Primer

5. Is it worth it?

I'm not sure it does anything for me, other than warding off oilies for another hour.

I've broken out from silicone-based primers, quite badly too -- I got cystic acne in the two days I used the BE Prime Time.

Do you use a primer?

Yes, I use Makeup Forever's Micro HD Powder (it's silica powder).

Why do you use or not use a primer?

I use it because I have very oily skin and this keeps my makeup put for more than a few extra hours. I would never wear mineral makup without my silica primer.

When do you put the primer on (especially if you are using the regimen - it seems like it would be a lot > cleanse, treatment, moisturize, prime, makeup)?

I didn't really think about this before, it doesn't seem like too much, maybe because I don't apply treatment in the AM. I cleanse, put on sunscreen, dust on my silica primer (it's a powder, very very light powder, and it takes, maybe... 2 seconds to do my whole face? I only use a tiny tiny bit!), then everyday minerals concealer (takes about 2 minutes), then foundation (takes about 2 seconds!), done. Not very long at all!!!

What primer do you use & what MMU?

Look @ first question. I use everyday minerals in sunkissed fair original glo & fair foundation as concealer in original glow.

Is it worth it?

Lets just say that out of anything in my makeup collection, including concealer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, foundation, blush, lip sticks, ect, my Micro HD powder is my NUMBER ONE favorite. I will literally purchase this for the rest of my life, and I'm very serious! Can you tell how much I love it?

What's your view on primer and acne?

The reason I love the silica powder primer is because so many people with all different skin types have no reaction to it. I have never liked any cream or gel, or "slippery" feeling primers, and I decided to try the Micro HD after reading a bunch of reviews on makeupalley and other sites.

I got a sample at Sephora and fell

HEAD OVER HEELS

in love with it. My makeup lasts longer, I look less oily and more DEWY, which I LOVE. I can go bike riding, exercise, physical activities, and my makeup looks great still. This is actually the first time in my life that I can wake up, put on my makeup, and at the end of the day, it still looks pretty good for the most part (although not as fresh as the first part of the day, I'd still go out at night time with the same makeup!).

WAIT - the question was something about primer and acne, sorry! Okay - I think that this is an excellent alternative for anybody who's tried a liquid-y primer and their skin didn't agree with it. I have super sensitive and oily skin, and I can't explain how much I love this stuff. Seriously, go to sephora, ask the girl for a sample (the sample will last you one month or LONGER btw!), and hopefully you'll fall in love with it too!

***ALWAYS apply moisterizer or sunscreen before applying silica primer + mineral makeup... It will look SO much better and go on a lot smoother and easier with less touch ups!***

:)

1. Do you use a primer?

yes

i use a primer because i have really oily skin. it helps the makeup stay on longer.

3. When do you put the primer on (especially if you are using the regimen - it seems like it would be a lot > cleanse, treatment, moisturize, prime, makeup)? every day. i also used to use one when i was on the regimen and it did take long for me, waiting for for the moisturizer to dry, etc

i use the monistat

5. Is it worth it?

yes .. it doesn't keep my skin matte all day, but it keeps it more matte than without

i think it depends on which one you're using & what type of ingredients your skin reacts to. i haven't had any problems with the primer i'm using.

Thanks for the replies! I think Im going to try a primer out. Now I have to decide which one. Monistat and forever HD were two I was looking into. But I will Look into all of these. I live in Florida so I really think this will be a great investment for me. Will just take some time to figure out what works for me.