Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so being a person w/ acne. i got to say to the World that having acne has _zero_ emotional and psychological effects, and that it's mainly used by marketers to sell to the masses.

it's just acne.

Just a little add on...

It's the self-consciousness of knowing that most people around you don't have it that makes it a little hard to get out. It doesn't exactly "damage" you... just, it'll prevent you from doing things that you might want to do because of self-consciousness. If you let it, that is. Don't let it get to ya.

I sometimes wish i lived in the wild west era. No advertisements on tv telling us how shitty we look with acne, and all the other things we are told to do to improve our self. Just guns, horses and whiskey. Damn.

I sometimes wish i lived in the wild west era. No advertisements on tv telling us how shitty we look with acne, and all the other things we are told to do to improve our self. Just guns, horses and whiskey. Damn.

It's amazing how much better you will feel if you stop watching TV and reading popular magazines.

Are you joking? People with acne are discriminated against. I mean we are really HATED! People might not talk about it in front of you, but when I watch reality shows or read articles or Internet forums, if the topic of acne comes up, people are not afraid to completely degrade those with acne. It's really sick and I hate this. I feel so trapped and helpless and ugly and sometimes thinking about how this has affected my life for so many years I just want to kill myself.

How can you say that, OP?

How can you say "It's just acne."while others are calling you a pizza face and staring at your pimples instead of your eyes? How can you shrug it off, and say, "It's just acne." and look at yourself in the mirror and honestly love the way you look? How can you honestly say it's "just acne" when you're afraid to leave your house and show the world who you are, because you don't want to disappoint everyone - including yourself?

Seriously now. How can you just say it's "just" acne?

so being a person w/ acne. i got to say to the World that having acne has _zero_ emotional and psychological effects, and that it's mainly used by marketers to sell to the masses.

it's just acne.

Very well put.

However not enough is done on the mental effects it has. The reason it destroys people mentally is because we live in a world of social indoctrinations where from birth we are conditoned by the media and advertising.

This is what screws people up because we are all brainwashed from a very young age to believe that we have to be perfect.

Well i have news for everyone. The human race isn't perfect so why even try to be perfect? My inperfections let me know that I am still human. That to me is far more precious to me than having flawless skin.

it's just acne.

are u for real?

Im assuming you only have a few pimples, so maybe thats how u feel about its physcological effects on you. However i dont think uve taken into consideration ppl who have cystic acne , and scaring etc.

I think u need to edit ure post abit.

it's just acne.

are u for real?

Im assuming you only have a few pimples, so maybe thats how u feel about its physcological effects on you. However i dont think uve taken into consideration ppl who have cystic acne , and scaring etc.

Explain why the OP has to edit their post?

They said nothing out of term, It's a simple opinion.

Read my post abover your post and try to see where I am coming from. Remember I have been through the thick of it as well so i speak from experience. There is a very good reason why people get hung up on looks and it's the not reason you might think.

it's just acne.

are u for real?

Read my post abover your post and try to see where I am coming from. Remember I have been through the thick of it as well so i speak from experience. There is a very good reason why people get hung up on looks and it's the not reason you might think.

Thats fair enough.. i appreciate what your saying in your post. I know media can be a catalyst in making ppl look for perfection. Im not arguing that. All im saying is theres different forms of acne and each one can effect ppl in different ways, depending on the severity.

I like your positive attitude and all m8, dont get me wrong. Im at that stage now aswell, where its not as bad and i dont let it effect me anymore and things are moving on.

All im saying in regards to that post is that its a kind of naive view, but everyone has their opinions.

it's just acne.

are u for real?

Thats fair enough.. i appreciate what your saying in your post. I know media can be a catalyst in making ppl look for perfection. Im not arguing that. All im saying is theres different forms of acne and each one can effect ppl in different ways, depending on the severity.

I like your positive attitude and all m8, dont get me wrong. Im at that stage now aswell, where its not as bad and i dont let it effect me anymore and things are moving on.

All im saying in regards to that post is that its a kind of naive view, but everyone has their opinions.

Yeah can't disagree with you there. I know everyone is acting on emotion here but the OP just gave his opinion. Granted it was a bit tactless but it is best just to read it deadpan and give an objective opinion back. There is no point getting upset with a post on the internet when you are struggling with emotional probs with ya acne. You got bigger problems.

What most of you are going is damn hard and it sucks but the change has to come from yourself.

I cystic acne long ago and it looked horrible. But you know what? Even with cystic acne i had a girlfriend at the time and was with her 3 and a half years. Goes to show for me anyway that most people don't care if you have acne or not. It's us, we do it to ourselves. That is probably the hardest battle of them all. Just forgive yourself, love yourself and will find a life worth living for.

It's amazing how much better you will feel if you stop watching TV and reading popular magazines.

I don’t think that acne affects my life the way it does because of the people on TV and in magazines. It's how I feel about MYSELF when I look in the mirror. I could care less about the people in the media. We all know they have makeup and photo shop to improve their imperfections.

I think it’s more about feeling normal. Being able go to sleep at night and not have to worry about OMG I have to wash my face, or not making future plans because you don’t know how your face is going to look on that day.

I do agree with bowlcutah when he/she said “Acne is what people make of it, if you don't let it get you down acne is barely a problem at all”, but how can you down play it?

Please let me know because it’s all I think about. I don’t even have severe acne and I feel this way. I can’t even imagine how other people out there feel.

I think it's emotionally and physiologically damaging. You're never entirely the same after you've had acne. Well atleast im not.

I don’t think that acne affects my life the way it does because of the people on TV and in magazines. It's how I feel about MYSELF when I look in the mirror. I could care less about the people in the media. We all know they have makeup and photo shop to improve their imperfections.

I think it’s more about feeling normal. Being able go to sleep at night and not have to worry about OMG I have to wash my face, or not making future plans because you don’t know how your face is going to look on that day.

I do agree with bowlcutah when he/she said “Acne is what people make of it, if you don't let it get you down acne is barely a problem at all”, but how can you down play it?

Please let me know because it’s all I think about. I don’t even have severe acne and I feel this way. I can’t even imagine how other people out there feel.

I think it's emotionally and physiologically damaging. You're never entirely the same after you've had acne. Well atleast im not.

Define normal?

If a dog had acne would he stop going about is life they way he knew it? No he wouldn't.

How does one define normal? Is normal what we see on t.v? Is normal having perfect skin? Or is normal when we have been conditioned what to believe that we must have perfect skin? That we must have a ripped body and sun tan? These are wants they are not our needs.

If you never knew about t.v, media or advertising can you honestly say you still feel the same way you do about acne. Take it back afew thousand years when the human race lived in caves. Did acne bother them like it bothers us now?

Define normal?

If a dog had acne would he stop going about is life they way he knew it? No he wouldn't.

How does one define normal? Is normal what we see on t.v? Is normal having perfect skin? Or is normal when we have been conditioned what to believe that we must have perfect skin? That we must have a ripped body and sun tan? These are wants they are not our needs.

If you never knew about t.v, media or advertising can you honestly say you still feel the same way you do about acne. Take it back afew thousand years when the human race lived in caves. Did acne bother them like it bothers us now?

I’m not going to comment on the dog comparison, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I don’t feel like the average person. I can’t get up in the morning and take a shower and leave. I can’t just go swim in a pool without fear of my face wreaking havoc. I always have to be concerned if what I’m eating is going to break out my face. I spend time, money, and energy on this one thing when other people don’t even have to think twice about their skin. I’m not asking for perfect skin. I just dont want have to run to the mirror every morning to see if something new popped up.

What’s beautiful for one person is not beautiful for the next. If you prefer to be sun tanned and ripped great for you. In my opinion, I don’t even like guys who are too ripped and too tan, but with enough time and money you’ll be able to achieve your goal. On the other hand you can spend all your time and your money and still not be clear.

I honestly can say that I’d still feel the same way without the T.V and media. You will always have a friend or a brother that doesn’t have to go through the things you go through everyday.

It didn’t bother cave men because all they had to do was eat, sleep, and shit.

Define normal?

I’m not going to comment on the dog comparison, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I don’t feel like the average person. I can’t get up in the morning and take a shower and leave. I can’t just go swim in a pool without fear of my face wreaking havoc. I always have to be concerned if what I’m eating is going to break out my face. I spend time, money, and energy on this one thing when other people don’t even have to think twice about their skin. I’m not asking for perfect skin. I just dont want have to run to the mirror every morning to see if something new popped up.

What’s beautiful for one person is not beautiful for the next. If you prefer to be sun tanned and ripped great for you. In my opinion, I don’t even like guys who are too ripped and too tan, but with enough time and money you’ll be able to achieve your goal. On the other hand you can spend all your time and your money and still not be clear.

I honestly can say that I’d still feel the same way without the T.V and media. You will always have a friend or a brother that doesn’t have to go through the things you go through everyday.

It didn’t bother cave men because all they had to do was eat, sleep, and shit.

I wasn't comparing you to a dog so please don't take it in that context. I was just saying would a dog be bothered by acne?

Again I ask you define average? I have a job, a good social life but what if i told you that most mornings i feel the same as you. I just want to lay in bed. However my acne stays clear for the most part and i dont let my acne bother me but i still get some of the same feelings you do. So based on that logic that suggests to me that other life problems bring me down just like it can do with anyone else. Is it possible that acne can be used as a scapegoat? After I got clear (well i still have acne its just under control) I found that i was still unhappy. It's because I was unhappy about other aspects of my life that had to be changed.

You can either let it control you or you control it. I mean look. You worry about what you eat and you i dont like going swimming incase it breaks you out. Ok I understand where you are coming from because i've been through it but look at it this way. If I said to you.

"Don't write back to this, shut up and go away" Would you really do what I just said or would you tell me to feck off? I am hoping you would to tell me to feck off because that would be controling you so why not have the same attitude with acne?

You are right when you say you can spend all your time and money and not get clear. So based on your logic and words you may as well just go live your life then right?

You also said "It didn’t bother cave men because all they had to do was eat, sleep, and shit." We still do all of those things! We still have to other people everyday like they did, we still have to eat, we still have to sleep, we still have to shit! lol.

So what is different? The difference is, is that they were never been conditioned and indoctrinated by media advertising. Like adverts where they sell acne products. The actors doing these adverts have no spots! That is just insulting to acne sufferers because these adverts make us believe we can look like them. They are telling us that our inperfections are bad. You know what? Fuck them. They are selling products on our misery and they makes us feel worse to sell more of their product!

Lets evolve and move beyond this.

Wow, you couldn't have said it better than 'Nicky D' - "Lets evolve and move beyond this."

There are only so few people you can trust in a world full of _garbage marketers_ and spammers, and how rare it is to run across those few _genuine_ human beings in a lifetime.

I wasn't comparing you to a dog so please don't take it in that context. I was just saying would a dog be bothered by acne?

Again I ask you define average? I have a job, a good social life but what if i told you that most mornings i feel the same as you. I just want to lay in bed. However my acne stays clear for the most part and i dont let my acne bother me but i still get some of the same feelings you do. So based on that logic that suggests to me that other life problems bring me down just like it can do with anyone else. Is it possible that acne can be used as a scapegoat? After I got clear (well i still have acne its just under control) I found that i was still unhappy. It's because I was unhappy about other aspects of my life that had to be changed.

You can either let it control you or you control it. I mean look. You worry about what you eat and you i dont like going swimming incase it breaks you out. Ok I understand where you are coming from because i've been through it but look at it this way. If I said to you.

"Don't write back to this, shut up and go away" Would you really do what I just said or would you tell me to feck off? I am hoping you would to tell me to feck off because that would be controling you so why not have the same attitude with acne?

You are right when you say you can spend all your time and money and not get clear. So based on your logic and words you may as well just go live your life then right?

You also said "It didn’t bother cave men because all they had to do was eat, sleep, and shit." We still do all of those things! We still have to other people everyday like they did, we still have to eat, we still have to sleep, we still have to shit! lol.

So what is different? The difference is, is that they were never been conditioned and indoctrinated by media advertising. Like adverts where they sell acne products. The actors doing these adverts have no spots! That is just insulting to acne sufferers because these adverts make us believe we can look like them. They are telling us that our inperfections are bad. You know what? Fuck them. They are selling products on our misery and they makes us feel worse to sell more of their product!

Lets evolve and move beyond this.

I dun believe in the media indoctrination for a second. Ancient people did a lot of beauty treatments too and there weren't any television ads or media in those days. Beauty has always been highly prized in society, as it represents healthiness.

Ridiculous post. He's speaking to people on a Emotional and Psychological Acne forum. And he says there are no effects. So, basically, everyone here is pretending, and they are on this board for fun. Depressed people want to be depressed.

Studies have shown that depression/anxiety is more prevalent in acne sufferers.

Get informed. Don't post these bullshit posts. But maybe I'm just getting angry over a troll.

I'm convinced that people who say acne is no big deal have very mild cases of it. While there may be some people with cystic acne covering their face and neck which, let's be honest, people are going to notice and probably feel sick to their stomach when they see you, who can not care, I sincerely doubt it. My acne is better than it was before but I still remember how much it affected me every day of my life. Society DOES judge you based on how you look. It's sad but true... the way you look influences every aspect of your life and in turn how you view the world.

It takes a tremendous amount of strength to step into the world with severe, cystic acne. You're repulsed by your own image, and it's assured that there will be people who find your condition disgusting. You will be judged on your appearance by strangers. Your friends and family may privately express concern over your skin.

This is a world with elevated standards. These standards are impossible to live up to, and the ones who are close will die trying to make it. It becomes an unhealthy fixation. There's a problem with judging people on their appearances. What you're perceived to be can be overcome by your character. Remember that you're the first person to judge yourself each day. Give yourself a chance so someone else can.

I would like to add that acne scars are just as bad as cystic acne. However, there are people around who can rise above their acne, severe case too.

Although in those cases I believe it is not so much overcome as merely putting on a facade to face the world. At least that is how I feel. Deep inside, we ourselves do not like our own appearance. Nevertheless, since we have no choice, we thus seek to pretend that it does not disturb us, as can be seen by the fact that almost all of us do not like people to point out our acne or advise us.

As such, the difference in opinion is merely the different degrees to which we can convince ourselves that our facade is our true feeling...