Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I just got back from my dermatologist appointment.

First of all, she just now asked me why my skin was so oily. She didn't relize that back in November when it was just as oily?

My derm is giving me Differin 0.3, an upgrade from Differin 0.5, to help get rid of the oil.

-I didn't know retinoids stopped oil production...? Any info on this?

Also, she gave me antibiotics..again. I had been on them for around six months and got off of them (minocycline) two months ago. I have been taking probiotics, and I really do not want to go on antibiotics. They'll just make everything worse in the long run.

Oh yeah, and she said that salt water (aka the ocean) will not help acne at all- it's 'just a myth.'

Ugh, I'm more lost than ever now. And when I told my mom I was refraining from dairy, carbs, and sugar, she simply said, "What, you're trying to be anorexic again?" That made me feel terrible.

Anyways, any input?

I can feel your frustration. As for the ocean water, I'm not too sure if it is a myth or not but I think the salt water is what tightens the skin and makes it feel like it is doing something to the acne. Also, I think the PH level in the ocean is pretty high. This can strip the oil from the skin and also give that "clean" feeling.