Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everybody!

I am a 28 year old female and have struggled with acne since high school. A few months ago I graduated from moderate acne to what I would consider to be severe acne. Yay for me. I finally went to a dermatologist (which was a big deal for me because I despise doctors) and after trying everything else under the sun to no avail, I was placed on Claravis. I also started taking Yaz birth control pills at the same time. A few weeks went by and I was THRILLED because my face was clearing up and looking GREAT...and then...I developed erythema nodosum on my legs. I got these big red, tender bumps on my legs and they HURT! I got off the Claravis and took Ibuprofen to clear my legs up. My derm thought initially that it was a reaction to the birth control pills, but now he's not so sure. I'm back on Claravis (but on a lower dosage), but extremely pessimistic because I fear that this "miracle" drug is right within my reach, but I may not be able to take it because my body is so sensitive to medication. I guess I shouldn't be surprised....when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and I started taking the pain medication, I couldn't stop throwing up. *sigh*

Anyway, long story short, my face looks ridiculous and I don't even want to leave my house until it clears up. I was also experiencing some crazy side effects when I was on Claravis the first time; for instance--I was having panic attacks/rapid heart beat for no reason and it freaked me out! But my face was clearing up, so I figured that it would all be worth it, right?

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I would appreciate any advice or feedback you can give me, because we're all in this together, right?! :)

Thanks for letting me vent! Acne sucks.

Well, can you stick with taking the bcp for a little while to see how your body reacts to just that drug before reintroducting the claravis? And maybe you can ask your dr. for a lower dose of it, some people have had success on a lower dose course. I think you'd have to be on it longer and not all dr's agree w/ a low dose course (I know mine for instance won't do one, her school of thought is that getting off the drug faster is better for you, but every doc is different). But, it can't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Well, can you stick with taking the bcp for a little while to see how your body reacts to just that drug before reintroducting the claravis? And maybe you can ask your dr. for a lower dose of it, some people have had success on a lower dose course. I think you'd have to be on it longer and not all dr's agree w/ a low dose course (I know mine for instance won't do one, her school of thought is that getting off the drug faster is better for you, but every doc is different). But, it can't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Hi musicmama,

Thanks for responding to my post. :) The thing is, I've already starting taking the lower dose of Claravis. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I really hope I can continue taking it because it really did seem to be working before I stopped taking it. Once again, thanks for responding to my post. This is the first time I've joined a message board and I hate that it had to be for this reason. Being a newbie is hard sometimes. :)

Hello everybody!

I am a 28 year old female and have struggled with acne since high school. A few months ago I graduated from moderate acne to what I would consider to be severe acne. Yay for me. I finally went to a dermatologist (which was a big deal for me because I HATE going to doctors) and after trying everything else under the sun to no avail, I was placed on Claravis. I also started taking Yaz birth control pills at the same time. A few weeks went by and I was THRILLED because my face was clearing up and looking GREAT...and then...I developed erythema nodosum on my legs. I got these big red, tender bumps on my legs and they HURT! I got off the Claravis and took Ibuprofen to clear my legs up. My derm thought initially that it was a reaction to the birth control pills, but now he's not so sure. I'm back on Claravis (but on a lower dosage), but extremely pessimistic because I fear that this "miracle" drug is right within my reach, but I may not be able to take it because my body is so sensitive to medication. I guess I shouldn't be surprised....when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and I started taking the pain medication, I couldn't stop throwing up. *sigh*

Anyway, long story short, my face looks ridiculous and I don't even want to leave my house until it clears up. I was also experiencing some crazy side effects when I was on Claravis the first time; for instance--I was having panic attacks/rapid heart beat for no reason and it freaked me out! But my face was clearing up, so I figured that it would all be worth it, right?

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I would appreciate any advice or feedback you can give me, because we're all in this together, right?!

Thanks for letting me vent! Acne sucks.

acne does suck, and I used to have severe acne too until i went to my regular doctor and got retin-a and clindamycin topical gel. these worked great in combo with Benzoal Peroxide facewash, but i justswitched my facewash to cetaphil last night because benzoal peroxide irritated my skin. :[

u just gotta find what ur body is not sensitive to and give it a whirl! I reccomend Cetaphil, its very gentle and prevents breakouts! i too have a body sensitive to everythingggg i put in/on it, and it takes a while, but i found you will get used to stuff if u just ride it out and give it time!

BEST OF LUCK! AND REGARDS!

~Jewels~

Ugh, sorry to hear things haven't gone smoothly. As someone who tried everything before claravis, i can't imagine the frustration of finding something that works, yet not being able to tolerate it.

You asked for any feedback, and since your soliciting- and our situations are kinda similar- i'll offer just a bit based on my experiences.

Personally, I went on claraivs at the beginning of february at 24, after making a similar graduation from the moderate to severe distinction. Around that time I went through an initial breakout that was awful, and conveniently coincided with a period of time when i was out of town visiting someone. I was really self-conscious about my skin at that point (with good reason), and experienced something like a panic/anxiety thing at that time. It definitely concerned me, and gave me cause to revisit whether or not i wanted to remain on the accutane course.

Fortunately for me though, it was an isolated incident, and my skin improved rapidly after that on claravis. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by being cautious with your approach. I hope it works out for you!

Ugh, sorry to hear things haven't gone smoothly. As someone who tried everything before claravis, i can't imagine the frustration of finding something that works, yet not being able to tolerate it.

You asked for any feedback, and since your soliciting- and our situations are kinda similar- i'll offer just a bit based on my experiences.

Personally, I went on claraivs at the beginning of february at 24, after making a similar graduation from the moderate to severe distinction. Around that time I went through an initial breakout that was awful, and conveniently coincided with a period of time when i was out of town visiting someone. I was really self-conscious about my skin at that point (with good reason), and experienced something like a panic/anxiety thing at that time. It definitely concerned me, and gave me cause to revisit whether or not i wanted to remain on the accutane course.

Fortunately for me though, it was an isolated incident, and my skin improved rapidly after that on claravis. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by being cautious with your approach. I hope it works out for you!

Hi!

Thanks for responding--I really appreciate it. It's kind of tricky incorporating yourself into the message board world sometimes. :) I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only one who experienced panic/anxiety while on the medication because I honestly think that my dermatologist is baffled by me and my sensitivity to medication. I didn't realize that panic/anxiety WAS a side effect until I got on the Internet and did some research. I seem to be experiencing the most rare side effects...because apparently I'm "special." The panic/anxiety thing only seems to happen when I am in social situations like church or in a small room with a lot of people; I get claustrophobic and I was never like that before I started taking medication. My heart starts racing and I have to remove myself from the situation quickly because I feel like I'm going to pass out or have a heart attack or something. I HAVE been avoiding social situations and I hate that I am letting acne control my life. I'm not confident around other people; I don't want them to look at me because my face looks so bad--it's embarrassing! That's why I'm convinced that I'm going to stay on this thing and just deal with the side effects. I'm glad that Claravis worked for you. May I ask how long you were on the medication and how long did it take you before you saw results?

acne does suck, and I used to have severe acne too until i went to my regular doctor and got retin-a and clindamycin topical gel. these worked great in combo with Benzoal Peroxide facewash, but i justswitched my facewash to cetaphil last night because benzoal peroxide irritated my skin. :[

u just gotta find what ur body is not sensitive to and give it a whirl! I reccomend Cetaphil, its very gentle and prevents breakouts! i too have a body sensitive to everythingggg i put in/on it, and it takes a while, but i found you will get used to stuff if u just ride it out and give it time!

BEST OF LUCK! AND REGARDS!

~Jewels~

Hi Jewels!

Thanks for responding to my post; I really appreciate it! :) I have tried several topical gels prescribed by my dermatologist, but nothing worked. Perhaps Retin-A and Clindamycin would work for me. I have been using Cetaphil to remove makeup and as a moisturizer and I really like it too! Thank you for your suggestions. I just hope I find a solution because I'm tired of letting acne control my life, you know?

Thanks for listening! :)

Hi!

Thanks for responding--I really appreciate it. It's kind of tricky incorporating yourself into the message board world sometimes. :) I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only one who experienced panic/anxiety while on the medication because I honestly think that my dermatologist is baffled by me and my sensitivity to medication. I didn't realize that panic/anxiety WAS a side effect until I got on the Internet and did some research. I seem to be experiencing the most rare side effects...because apparently I'm "special." The panic/anxiety thing only seems to happen when I am in social situations like church or in a small room with a lot of people; I get claustrophobic and I was never like that before I started taking medication. My heart starts racing and I have to remove myself from the situation quickly because I feel like I'm going to pass out or have a heart attack or something. I HAVE been avoiding social situations and I hate that I am letting acne control my life. I'm not confident around other people; I don't want them to look at me because my face looks so bad--it's embarrassing! That's why I'm convinced that I'm going to stay on this thing and just deal with the side effects. I'm glad that Claravis worked for you. May I ask how long you were on the medication and how long did it take you before you saw results?

Yeah, I was on for 5 months. I started out the first three at 40 mgs, and decided to escalate to 60 for the last two. As far as seeing results, I saw results on my face after maybe a month- not completely clear or anything, but progress. I had it pretty bad on my shoulders/upper back too, and that was more stubborn, lasting into the 3rd or so month.

I actually just posted a thread a day or two ago marking the completion of my course. I threw in some pics of my progress:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/5-Month-C...ed-t241958.html

As far as the anxiety, it is a fairly widely reported symptom. Not to say it is common, but you (and I) are by no means the only ones. You definitely did the right thing telling your dermatologist though. A lot of people who are sensitive to medicine don't communicate their concerns to the dr for fear of disappointing them, or appearing like they couldn't handle it, so way to go!

Hi!

Yeah, I was on for 5 months. I started out the first three at 40 mgs, and decided to escalate to 60 for the last two. As far as seeing results, I saw results on my face after maybe a month- not completely clear or anything, but progress. I had it pretty bad on my shoulders/upper back too, and that was more stubborn, lasting into the 3rd or so month.

I actually just posted a thread a day or two ago marking the completion of my course. I threw in some pics of my progress:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/5-Month-C...ed-t241958.html

As far as the anxiety, it is a fairly widely reported symptom. Not to say it is common, but you (and I) are by no means the only ones. You definitely did the right thing telling your dermatologist though. A lot of people who are sensitive to medicine don't communicate their concerns to the dr for fear of disappointing them, or appearing like they couldn't handle it, so way to go!

Wow! Good for you! I'm really happy to see that this drug did the trick for you. It must be nice to wake up to clear skin, huh? :) I think my dermatologist thought that I was overreacting when I told him that I was getting panic attacks, but thanks to the Internet, I discovered that I WASN'T crazy! :) I've been taking 20 mg of Claravis for about 2 weeks now (down from 40 mg) and sure enough, I'm having the same sort of reaction that I did before to the medication. :( I really am happy for the people who have been helped/cured by this drug, but I have a feeling that it's just not in the cards for me. I feel like I should just give up and accept the fact that I will never have clear skin.

Debbie Downer signing out.

Glad you liked my posy hun!

Acne can control ur life, i know alllllllllllllllllllllllllll about it! :[

Yep, acne DOES control your life. Case in point: I went on an overnight bachelorette party this weekend and I stayed at a condo with 15 other girlfriends who (of course) had beautiful, flawless skin. Guess who was the only one who made sure that she was wearing make-up the entire time (including while sleeping) so that no one could see her wonderful pimple-filled face? :(

Acne sucks. That's my new motto. I know I don't get points for 'originality', but it still applies. :)

Wow! Good for you! I'm really happy to see that this drug did the trick for you. It must be nice to wake up to clear skin, huh? :) I think my dermatologist thought that I was overreacting when I told him that I was getting panic attacks, but thanks to the Internet, I discovered that I WASN'T crazy! :) I've been taking 20 mg of Claravis for about 2 weeks now (down from 40 mg) and sure enough, I'm having the same sort of reaction that I did before to the medication. :( I really am happy for the people who have been helped/cured by this drug, but I have a feeling that it's just not in the cards for me. I feel like I should just give up and accept the fact that I will never have clear skin.

Debbie Downer signing out.

I'm really sorry to hear that it isnt an option that your body feels like tolerating, but if the side effects are worse than the problem you are taking the medication for... well, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

And yeah, waking up not caked in oil to the point i feel disgusting and require a shower before doing anything is a much improved way to start the day.