Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catrat242

does BP over time fade scars/red marks?

I was on the regimen last summer and had successful results. I overtime weened myself off using the BP all together and my acne stayed at bay for a while.

I still break out a little more then I used to when I was on the regimen, but not nearly as much. Now I'm just left with a few scars, a ton of red marks, and an uneven skin tone.

Looking back at pictures from last summer...my skin looked pretty great. Granted I still wore foundation/concealer but now even with makeup you can still tell.

SO MY QUESTION...does BP help fade scars and/or red marks? I was reading Dan's "what to expect" page and it said towards the end that the marks will eventually fade...how does the BP do that?

thank you:D

If BP does help fade, should I go back to using it? I don't want to have an initial break out if my skin is already clear (actual acne wise) but if it means getting rid of theses wretched marks then I guess I will. I'm just trying to remember what I did last year...and why I stopped it lol

Contrarily, many people (myself included) think that BP actually prolongs the life of red marks. I don't have viable proof, but it sure feels like it. If red marks are your main problem, instead of active acne, I suggest you try some 100% aloe vera. It is non-comedogenic and will heal your skin.

Contrarily, many people (myself included) think that BP actually prolongs the life of red marks. I don't have viable proof, but it sure feels like it. If red marks are your main problem, instead of active acne, I suggest you try some 100% aloe vera. It is non-comedogenic and will heal your skin.

hmm, alright. i'll give that a shot! thank you(:

hmm, alright. i'll give that a shot! thank you(:

the lightening effect probably comes from the flakey skin that's coming off. when you're ready add in glycolic acid. that will definitely help to fade marks

the lightening effect probably comes from the flakey skin that's coming off. when you're ready add in glycolic acid. that will definitely help to fade marks

you're referring to aloe vera, right?

when will i be ready to add in glycolic acid?

This should help a lot.

There is no doubt that Benzoyl peroxide can increase the healing time of hyperpigmentation, but as long as you're clear and not developing new papules / comedones it'll eventually all go away.

http://acne.about.com/od/acnesymptoms/a/pih.htm

i'll take a look at that article now, thank you!

I think that exfoliating may help with acne marks. My acne makes dark spots (like they've been tanned or something...) and when I exfoliate (with baking soda) that seems to clear up some of them.

I've heard about the baking soda thing and read that thread about it but I'm a bit nervous to actually try it, what with the whole pH thing.

Yeah, I've been using Dan's AHA+ for probably 2 months now and it doesn't seem to be a significant help /:

I've heard about the baking soda thing and read that thread about it but I'm a bit nervous to actually try it, what with the whole pH thing.

Yeah, I've been using Dan's AHA+ for probably 2 months now and it doesn't seem to be a significant help /:

As mentioned in the article, it takes time, and lots of it. Some marks can take up to 2 years to fade. Two months seems a little short, but you should have noticed an improvement by now. Are you taking pictures so you have solid evidence by which you're making your judgements by, or are you just going by your "gut feeling"?

Go talk to your dermo and tell them your concerns about post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and he'll prescribe you a retinoid, and this should fix the problem.

As mentioned in the article, it takes time, and lots of it. Some marks can take up to 2 years to fade. Two months seems a little short, but you should have noticed an improvement by now. Are you taking pictures so you have solid evidence by which you're making your judgements by, or are you just going by your "gut feeling"?

Go talk to your dermo and tell them your concerns about post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and he'll prescribe you a retinoid, and this should fix the problem.

I'm not taking pictures, so I guess you could say I'm going by my gut feeling. Or just perhaps basing my face off of my flawless complexion friends. Either way, I've had these marks for a while now and I'm getting frustrated.

The last time I went to the derm. (which was about a month ago) she said to come back in 3 months. Since this is a new issue should I come back before that or just wait until then?

The last time I went to the derm. (which was about a month ago) she said to come back in 3 months. Since this is a new issue should I come back before that or just wait until then?

You need to start taking pictures. It'll make it very easy to see either improvements over the passing weeks. Just using your "gut feeling" won't be good enough as you'll be constantly agonizing over every little thing and it'll never feel better, when it actually could be slowly improving.

What did your dermatologist prescribe you?

You need to start taking pictures. It'll make it very easy to see either improvements over the passing weeks. Just using your "gut feeling" won't be good enough as you'll be constantly agonizing over every little thing and it'll never feel better, when it actually could be slowly improving.

What did your dermatologist prescribe you?

That's a good idea. I'm going to hate it though and cringe at every photo, though:/

I was already on Differin, Solodyn, and Aczone but she told me to lay off the Differin for right now. But I also just got prescribed birth control pills (Yaz.) and just started using the ACV toner.

I want to go out and find a Retinoid, probably the one by Philosophy, and see if that'll help.

Thank you!