Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cherryice

Question regarding Accutane dosing

I'm going to go for a consultation with another dermatologist to see about getting low dose Accutane.

I want to know approximately how much Accutane they'd prescribe for someone like me. (I know very little about how they figure out dosages.) I have extremely treatment-resistant mild to moderate acne that has gone on for close to two decades, am 5'7 and 116 lbs. My previous derm was saying 10 mg. Is that about right?

Thanks!

I agree with MissAngie

if your acne isn't too bad 20mg should be fine. I was prescribed 40mg to start and 60mg after my first month. I'm 5'6 115 lbs. I know the dose was based on my weight/height not the severity. (but I didn't ask for a low dose) Is there a reason u prefer a low dose treatment?

Best of luck to you when you begin your treatment! <3

xo-stevie

Thank you, both. :) If I even get the chance to try it, I would have to go low-dose because I have depression/anxiety, and personally I'd like to avoid major side effects. So far the depression/anxiety has prevented me from being able to even try 10 mg, but the doctor who did my Botox thinks I should be able to handle a low dose of it and recommended a couple of other dermatologists for me to try.

This has been going on for years. Sometimes I wish I'd never told these doctors I have issues with depression/anxiety. They're mostly under control with medications, but because I have them, they don't want to touch me with a 10 foot pole. My Botox doctor told me that the reports of depression are overblown in a lot of cases and Accutane gets a bad rap, but I know nothing about it so who knows if he's right.

I do know of someone who took a measly 5 mg/day and had her mild-moderate acne clear up for good. I'd even gladly take that!

Just follow your derm's advice on 10mg/day. Low dose is good for mild-moderate acne and it has lesser side effects.