Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stripes79

Do you think of yourself as ugly?

I never did until I got acne. I never thought I was great looking, just average, but latley I really think that I am ugly. Like if the old me saw me now he would think that guy is one ugly sob. How about you guys?

Without makeup, yes. I get a lot of compliments when I have my spackle on....it's amazing what makeup can do for your appearance.

Yes, I do feel ugly. The weird thing is when is was like 16-18 my acne was worse, but I didn't feel like I do about it now. I had more self confidence, more guys talked to me and asked me out. Now I feel like when people look @ me and my scars they are thinking "why isn't she doing anything about it?" So now I am, I am getting dermabrasion on 6/29. Everyone wants to know why I am going to put myself through all that trauma and I keep asking myself that, but I just feel like if I do this, I won't feel so guilty about the way I look. But sweetheart, I think that a lot of people feel ugly when they look @ themselves. They see things in a way other people don't and mentally they accidently exaggerate their flaws, like their acne, scars, stretch marks, big nose, thin or grey hair, wrinkles. :wall:

I feel extremely ugly without makeup and in certain lighting. I can't remember what it felt like to not have acne, unfortunately. sad.gif It's been a long time. People tell me I'm pretty and even beautiful and I feel like crying because for one thing, I'm wearing makeup when they say that and for another, I have nice enough features which seems a shame when you have acne.

Mischief, hey girl, I know the feeling. It's like when they say your complextion doesn't look that bad, or your still beautiful, it's hard not to feel like they are only valadating they way I feel about about that . When people tell me well my complexion has cleared, it just makes me feel worse.

I am a guy but I think about what it would be like to be a girl with acne and I can't decide what is worse. On the one hand girls can cover their acne with makeup but on the other hand girls are expected to look good more than guys are. I know some guys wear makeup but I just could never do that. As embarassed as I feel about my skin I think I would be more embarassed for people to know that I was wearing makeup to cover it up. When I talked to people, instead of thinking "are they looking at my spots?" I would just be thinking "Can they tell I'm wearing makeup?" Acne is such a damn curse--it's totally wiped out my self esteem and completely taken over my thoughts.

I hate wearing makeup but I feel like I have to. When people look at me, I'm afraid all they see is me trying to hide my zits. So it still sucks when you wear makeup.

ann_a_bell that is so true, it all seems to be a confirmation of how you feel about it.

Lately, I have had a much harder time than usual covering my red marks with makeup. They are barely covered at all these days, they just won't heal as well while I'm using BP though the vinegar method is helping somewhat.

I have thought about that too, whether it's worse to be a boy or girl with acne. I tend to think it's worse for us girls in a way because there is such pressure from the media to have flawless skin, even when you tell yourself half of these models and celebrities are airbrushed it doesn't help because the fact that they are airbrushed in the first place shows it is widely thought that flaws are unacceptable. A number of times I have put down a magazine or stopped watching a TV show and just cried because every girl has beautiful skin and I don't. It may sound silly, but sometimes all you can do is cry, it tends to help a bit in the end.

I have to wear makeup too but I'm afraid people are looking at how awful my makeup looks covering my acne or how awful my makeup looks in general. I am as natural as I can be, I only wear a light foundation these days, but somehow, it never looks natural... under some lighting I just feel it looks terrible.

P.S. girl, love your avatar! So cute.

Guest Brandon

I thought I was ugly before hideous acne entered my life....now I feel like...the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. Even that mother fucker got a woman.

Some days I feel ugly.... But it depends on how my face is looking.... My face goes through changes.... it looks real flawless one day and the next... it looks horrible.I think I look somewhat descent... Plus I've gotten a couple of I'm cute comments lately.... & this really pretty girl asked me for my number while I was at a restraunt & gave it to her... She called & she seems pretty cool. So this helped me feel somewhat better about myself.... Also, another thing that helps boost my confidence & my look is if I improve my wardrobe & where something really hot. I bought this nice cool Sean John outfit with some new shoes & I felt better.... It seems like when I where nice looking clothes.... I feel better about myself!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I don't feel ugly- Just average IMO.

If only I get a dime everytime I hear a girl says "you're a nice guy, you'll find somebody"

tongue.gif :neutral: :twisted:

I believe that my bad skin humbled me. It's definitely had an effect on the way I look at things.

I thought I was ugly before hideous acne entered my life....now I feel like...the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. Even that mother fucker got a woman.

It just makes me feel very self concious. I very rarely see someone with bad skin considering 90% of all teenagers apparently get a form of acne, and there damn well should be more people on TV with it considering its ''so very common''.

Might write to parliament or something tongue.gif

I know I am a good looking guy. However, having a few zits makes me self-conscious to an unhealthy extent. When I cover pimples or scars and admire just my features and the good skin, it's easy to tell that I'm not unattractive. What I'm trying to say is that none of us are ugly; only acne is.

But then again, some people can feel beautiful with acne. It all depends on the person.

Mainly I think I'm ugly. Never got postive comments on my looks for a really long time. Only bad comments.

Example 1:

My teacher said in front of my class I looked pretty bad. That really sucked :sad:

Example 2:

This guy gave some very very nasty comments, which I won't tell right here.

Example 3:

Guy out of my class who supposted te be my friend, sometimes says. He man did you forgot to wash your face with clearasil? (No friend confused.gif )

Then the looks people give when I try to meet new persons are also killing.

Anyway on a day when my acne isn't really bad I can feel pretty good about my appearance.

I can't even remotely find myself attractive no matter how hard I try. It's depressing because I am not the best looking guy in the world, but good enough looking to go out with some pretty girls. I always think like most of us what we would be doing or who would we be dating if we didn't have acne. I hope that when my acne is gone it just makes those things that much sweeter.

Medication (bactrim) has my acne under control, but I'm still ugly. I think if my ears didn't stick out and were a normal size, I'd be average looking... *sigh* Not much I can do about it tho.

Guest Brandon

Sorry man but that's gotta be the funniest thing I have read in a long time. And yeah I do feel ugly a lot of the time. However when I'm in a good mood I don't really care about my acne.

I actually get surprised when someone gives me a compliment...like they`re just playin with me or something. I never expect it, which can probably attest to the fact that we think we look worse than we actually do.

If I took off my coverup, no one would say anything to me. I remember how it was when I didn`t use makeup to cover it, and I saw someone I hadn`t seen in about 6 months, ie before it got bad, and he looked right through me. I went up to him and he said, Oh! I didn`t even know that was you! You just look....different. That pause was enough for me to know what he was thinking. Now, I guess it`s not so bad. The coverup does wonders, but at certain angles, you can see bumps.

Now, I love confrontation...and I hate morons that shoot their mouths off, so if my TEACHER had pointed out my acne in front of the entire class...I would have speared him like Bobby Boucher in the Waterboy.

Tightness is good, your oil glands are shrinking! Do you have oily skin? If so, do you notice less oil production yet?

I know I'm quite unattractive, but I usually don't feel unattractive. My self-perception is completely unreliable, but I think I'm better off that way.