Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After 10 years of OTC drugs and Antibiotics. I am 25 and still have severe acne. Who said acne is only a teenagers' thing?! I now have numerous scars and low self-esteem. Thank you my dear family doctor who scared me away from taking Accutane. Thank you my dear parents who have instill the thinking -- look isn't everything and you can't change the way you look. F that! Seriously! F that! You don't understand the pain and the suffering!

So, one visit to derm and Costco later. I am going to get my 40mg generic version of Accutane tomorrow.

One day to go. I've stopped taking Minocycline today, since the iPLEDGE thing says the mixing of those two drugs will be deadly. Maybe I should call my derm again to find out. Or maybe I'll ask the pharmacist tomorrow. Anyway.

Cheers to the future acne free me.

day 0 pic attached.

some info/stat

Acne since: 15 or maybe earlier.. I don't want to remember

weight: 145 lbs ~ 65 kg

1st month accutane - 40mg/day

activities: running, biking

current physical feeling: quad soreness from running

current emotional feeling: the sun is out! Let's go for a bike ride!

side effect: N/A

post-107800-1247600814_thumb.jpg

post-107800-1247600829_thumb.jpg

post-107800-1247600814_thumb.jpg

post-107800-1247600829_thumb.jpg

Best of luck to you.

Actually, as far as I know, taking tetracycline at the same time as accutane can be dangerous - yet not deadly. It can apparently cause pseudotumore cerebri.

man do i know how u feel. i have been using acne products and they help but if i forget to use em for one nite or im away from them......its hell the next day!!!!! so sorry man u have my sympathy. i wanna do accutane but as a woman its so hard to get the ipledge thing handled!! aghhhh!

maybe tetracycline is a possibility for me and u both???

i heard its easier on your system and less side-effects result!

jewelsbeerlover -- Thank you.. I truly do need support from everyone. Acne sucked everything out of me.

Talking about antibiotics.. I am truly sick and tired of antibiotics. You've seen the pictures. That's with Minocycline in my system. My acne is so bad that antibiotics is useless. I am hoping that Accutane will cure it for good. :pray: True, antibiotics has less side-effects, but still.. I don't fancy the long term usage. I am 25! I am not supposed to get this kind of crazy acne anymore. :wall:

I know exactly how you feel...I'm 23 years old, with bad acne and low self-esteem. My parents scared me away from Accutane so long, telling me that I would grow out of acne eventually. But no longer, right?

I hope everything goes well for you! Keep up the photo log, it's going to be great to look back on once you're free and clear!

Day 2 update:

activities: racquetball, running, weight room on day 1

current physical status: I can go for a run (naw, too lazy, it's raining outside)

current emotional status: Better than normal. (Harry Potter movie was good)

side effect: eye irritation -- using Allergan Optive eye drop to relieve it

Day 4 update:

Acne status: no noticeable improvement or serious break out. Sure, there are break outs, 2 active on my neck, 2 on my cheek, but is this IB? No idea, I've had acne forever, this is nothing comparing to the serious break outs I had before.

Facial oil status: Still pumping out oil like Saudi Arabia

Side effect: none (even eye irritation is gone)

I am wondering, is Accutane doing its job? Maybe no side effect is a good thing. We'll see.

activities: watching TV, sleeping

current physical status: 100%. Could have gone for a run, but was lazy. Muscle soreness from weightroom two days ago is still lingering, but improving for sure.

current emotional status: Lazy.

side effect: none

Facial oil status: Still pumping out oil like Saudi Arabia

That made me laugh! :D

Don't worry about the lack of side effects yet. I'm SURE Accutane is working its magic, as long as you're taking it with meals. It's only been 4 days; you'll probably start seeing some effects soon. Or maybe you'll just be one of the lucky ones with very mild side effects.

Also, it sounds like it often takes at least a month for many people to start seeing improvement. I've been on it for two weeks and haven't seen any changes for better or worse yet.

Keep it up! :)

George's sis -- Thanx. Maybe I am that lucky to be the ones without serious side effects. :) Even though there is no real improvement, I do notice that acne seems to go away faster than before. Maybe Accutane is making its progress. Yay..

Hello all! I am so happy to see such support! I feel like I am the only monster walking around this planet.. No one I mean no one in my family has acne I mean not even my husband or his family. So everyone of course looks at me in pitty and gives me "advise" you know we have all heard the "Stop eating fast food" "Stop stressing" Stop wearing make up". As if I haven't tried that alreday I mean I have had acne since I was 12 now I am 32 wow 20 years so much for the "You will grow out of it". Anyway sorry just venting lol. I have started Accutane have been on it for a month now. It did get worse I mean really worse but I know it is to be expected. I am very dry and terrified of putting ANY lotion or cream on my face as I live in fear that this will get worse. I have pain in my joints and ringing in my ears all "normal" according to my derm. I just want this to hurry up and work as do we all. Hugs to all of you out there as I can understand and feel your pain and suffering both phisically and emotionaly.

bruhaha -- Thanx for your support. I've realized that "you'll grow out of it" is true for most people, but not me, or you. I've seen tons of people eating fast food, having worse hygiene, loading up on sugar, going without sleep and suffer no (absolutely no) acne problem. Their skin is smooth, absolutely smooth! I hate my acne gene! Hate it! Oh well, nothing else I can do except going on Accutane.

A couple of things I want to tell you. I think not putting on any lotion or cream is a bad idea! Accutane is working to get your oil production down, you have to give your skin a reason to not produce that much amount of oil. So, I think you should put lotion on to sooth your skin. Here is what I use -- Olay complete all day moisture lotion SPF 15 for sensitive skin (non-comedogenic). Also, if the joint pain is bothering you, you can take this -- Schiff Glucosamine 1500mg Plus MSM 1500mg. I think two of the most important things you can do to avoid side effects are drink a lot of water (I am taking 1.5 liter of water everyday plus a lot of fruits) and taking accutane with meals. I hope this helps.

Day 8 update

Acne status: some break outs on my necks have pretty much gone down. Two active on my nose, one on forehead. I broke out two days ago, may be that was the IB and I am now on my way to clear skin? cross my fingers! :pray:

Facial oil status: GOOD NEWS! oil production has gone down by at least a quarter. :dance:

Side effect: Nothing really noticeable. (eye irritation - minimal, scalp itchiness - some)

activities: biking, running

current physical status: 90%. Weird, I took a day off yesterday, and yet I am not feeling 100% today. But I'll go for a bike ride and/or run later today.

current emotional status: UP

Note: Skin sensitivity to direct sunlight -- not so much. Gone for an hour bike ride two days agao with Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-Touch Sunblock on body and Olay Complete SPF 15 on face, no sunburn or any discomfort.

Day 8 update

Acne status: some break outs on my necks have pretty much gone down. Two active on my nose, one on forehead. I broke out two days ago, may be that was the IB and I am now on my way to clear skin? cross my fingers! :pray:

Facial oil status: GOOD NEWS! oil production has gone down by at least a quarter. :dance:

Side effect: Nothing really noticeable. (eye irritation - minimal, scalp itchiness - some)

activities: biking, running

current physical status: 90%. Weird, I took a day off yesterday, and yet I am not feeling 100% today. But I'll go for a bike ride and/or run later today.

current emotional status: UP

Note: Skin sensitivity to direct sunlight -- not so much. Gone for an hour bike ride two days agao with on body and on face, no sunburn or any discomfort.

Thanks For the advise I went out and bought some of that face lotion! I just coulden't stand the peeling! My acne as well is getting better slowly but hey it's going away. Best of luck to you hun! Thanks again!! xoxox

Have been reading some scary stories of people having long lasting side effect after taking Accutane. Man, I'm kinda scared. Ok, I'm taking my Glucosamine + MSM and calcium supplements everyday from now on. Then again, I think I fully understand and am ready to take on the risk. I mean, the chance of me having long term side effect is low and the chance of me having real good result is high. So, life is about taking risk for greater good and I am taking my chance here! Not to mention the fact that my chance for good is really really high. (P.S. I didn't know Accutane is chemo drug. cross my fingers and hope that you and I will have all the desired benefits of the Accutane and none of the bad ones.) :pray:

Day 9 update -- some anomalies

A weird thing happened last night. While I was washing my face and preparing to go to sleep last night, I tasted blood. I spat some saliva looking pink. Ok, there was definitely blood in my mouth, but I couldn't find the bleeding spot. Weird, huh. It stopped happening within 2 minutes and it has not happened today, so I'm hoping it's nothing. It shall be closely monitored.

Another thing, I yelled at my mom yesterday for one little thing. I think I became a bit more irritable.

Oh, also, the right hip that has been bothering for the past 6 months has been magically healing lately! Wow, maybe it's time? maybe it's the MSM and glucosamine or whatever supplements? or maybe it's Accutane.. damn.. Let's just hope my right knee heal magically along with it. haha

Day 14 update -- I hate IB

Ok, my neck, cheek, nose... hell, it broke lose! I have been so depressed because of it. I was thinking about giving up, but then again, giving up what? I don't have much side effect except dry lips and eyes.

please, go away fast.. please! I hate you ACNE! I hate u!!!!!!

Acne status: at least 15 active on my face.. I hate it!

Facial oil status: about the same. I kinda stopped using moisturizer because the horrible break-out lately. And the oil production seems to be just about right after washing my face with Cetaphil.

Side effect: eye irritation - minimal, scalp itchiness - some, lip dryness - some

activities: watching TV

current physical status: 80%.. I feel lazy and without motivation lately.

current emotional status: down, stupid IB! I hate acne! I hope this is the last time!

Day 17 update

Still breaking out. However, compare to crazy break out peak time on day 12-15, I am happier with my acne status. I still have 5 huge (2-5mm) on my cheek, chin. numerous white head+bump.. arrrrrrg. I hope I don't have to deal with this ever again!

I have been hiding inside for almost a weeks now (start of the IB till now). Yesterday, I finally went outside for a walk. Feels good to be outside.

Acne status: Bad... IB is subsiding a bit.

Facial oil status: same

Side effect: eye irritation - minimal, scalp itchiness - some, lip dryness - some

activities: reading

current physical status: 90%

current emotional status: ok.

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time right now. Hopefully you're through the worst of it. It's going to be worth it in the end!

I know you're probably feeling pretty self-conscious about your skin right now, but have you considered taking any photos since your first ones? They might be good to look back on, so you can see how bad things got and how far you've come.

Anyway, keep it up! You'll get through this!

Day 20 update -- new pics

pic upload... I thought my IB has died down at least 50% already, but my face still looks like crap in pictures. I don't think I can bear to look at the picture if they were taken during the peak of IB...

Nothing really important to update. lips are really dry, you can probably see the dry lips in the pic. the skin around chin beginning to peal due to dryness. whole body itchy like crazy for no reason from time to time, I have to consciously fight the urge to scratch, otherwise I'll scratch my skin off.. oh, my skin, especially my facial skin, becomes kinda thin these days. I'll wash my face lightly, but I'll still lacerate some skin around acne and cause them to bleed. ARg, now my pillow is covered with red blood spots.

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time right now. Hopefully you're through the worst of it. It's going to be worth it in the end!

I know you're probably feeling pretty self-conscious about your skin right now, but have you considered taking any photos since your first ones? They might be good to look back on, so you can see how bad things got and how far you've come.

Anyway, keep it up! You'll get through this!

Just want to say best of luck to you mate - you started just a few days after me!!!!

I've every confidence that ina few months, you'll have some pretty damn awesome skin : D

Just want to say best of luck to you mate - you started just a few days after me!!!!

I've every confidence that ina few months, you'll have some pretty damn awesome skin : D

Thanx. I really hope this is just IB and Accutane is working. ::sigh::