Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
livvy

drinking water myths

im reading this everywhere: drinking a lotof water is good for your body/skin because it cleans it from impurities.

but guess what? this is just a myth. it probably came from the idea that drinking less is bad. does that consequently mean that drinking a lot is good? not necessary.

the only proven fact is that there is noscientific proof that supports this myth.

the body only needs enough water to replace the one consumed during the day.

water does not clean you from toxins. lol i wanna see you been beaten by a viper, drinking water, thinking that you are cleaning up your body.

neither it does help you lose weight really.

water might help sick people or athletes who consume a lot of water. everybody has a different type of body, with different necessities. you ought to understand that!. so stop forcing yourself drinking 10 glasses of water everyday. its just a waste and it will only make you go more often to the bathroom. who would want that?

just do a research. :angel:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/04/03/36931.aspx

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=89323934

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/fe...s/watermyth.htm

This I completely agree with.

At the start I was trying so hard to drink as much water as possible - but was still broken out as hell months later. My personal theory is that it could actually make inflammation worse if anything as it puts your electrolytes out of wack (I have no actual evidence of this note)

Nowadays I only drink when I'm thirsty - maybe herbal teas aswell and with the current reg I'm doing fine.

water doesnt directly clean out toxins. it just makes you go to the washroom more often so you can expel whatever toxins your body breaks down more frequently.

your body is made up of 50-75% water!

don't you think it needs it?!

almost every single function and process and action carried out inside your body requires water.

yes, the more water you drink the more your electrolytes are diluted and passed out...especially after sweating/working out. that's why you should be putting them back into your body.

i didn't even click on the research you put up in the links....it's probably funded by soft drink companies anyway.

drinking water for health is just common sense

You need water to survive.. regardless of wether it flushes out toxins

people die a painful death from dehydration. water is the elixir of life :confused:

She didn't say we don't need it. She just said that not everyone needs 8-10 glasses of water a day.

If you replace all soft drinks and juices with water you'll probably end up drinking close to 8 glasses of water a day anyway. Especially if you drink tea (:

exactly! thanks lexxie.

guys if you read carefully i said

the body only needs enough water to replace the one consumed during the day

I did a whole blog post on drinking water on my myspace way back:

"The benefits of drinking about 8 glasses of water a day are great.

Here are some of the benefits water can give:

-Improves Energy

- Increases Mental/Physical Performance

- Flushes Toxins Out Of Body

- Keeps Skin Healthy

- Helps Lose Weight

- Reduces Headaches & Dizziness

- Allows for Proper Digestion

- Helps you Keep More Alkaline

Water is proven to help reduce the risk of heart attack. It is also proven to suppress appetite and help you maintain your weight. Most of the time, when we feel hungry, that "hunger" is really a need for more water.

Tips for drinking water -

-Help flush the toxins your body processes all night by drinking water first thing in the morning.

-If you are cold, drink warm water. Skip the warm hot chocolate or tea.

-Dont wait for a while when thirsty; you're already dehydrated if you are thirsty.

-Develop some sort of mental schedule to track when to have each cup of water.

-Drink a few extra cups of water if you have a lot of caffeine during the day.

-The more you exercise, the more you sweat, and the more water you'll need to replace."

I think the source was this site:

http://itproductivitytools.com/DrinkMoreWa...tayHealthy.aspx

There's tons of benefits of drinking water, even if you don't think it helped your skin at all.

http://www.naturalskincaresecrets.com/bene...r-for-skin.html

http://www.healthy-skincare.com/benefit-of...king-water.html

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_a...s12ML3P1A1.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...07153805AAvuYUw

http://healthyfeeling.blogspot.com/2008/09...king-water.html

I dunno. It's all there, but that's just what I've discovered over a time. :shrug:

It may be a myth, I'm not saying it isn't. But that's what I've seen - I haven't done any tests or anything so I wouldn't know :lol:

I did a whole blog post on drinking water on my myspace way back:

"The benefits of drinking about 8 glasses of water a day are great.

Here are some of the benefits water can give:

-Improves Energy

- Increases Mental/Physical Performance

- Flushes Toxins Out Of Body

- Keeps Skin Healthy

- Helps Lose Weight

- Reduces Headaches & Dizziness

- Allows for Proper Digestion

- Helps you Keep More Alkaline

Water is proven to help reduce the risk of heart attack. It is also proven to suppress appetite and help you maintain your weight. Most of the time, when we feel hungry, that "hunger" is really a need for more water.

Tips for drinking water -

-Help flush the toxins your body processes all night by drinking water first thing in the morning.

-If you are cold, drink warm water. Skip the warm hot chocolate or tea.

-Dont wait for a while when thirsty; you're already dehydrated if you are thirsty.

-Develop some sort of mental schedule to track when to have each cup of water.

-Drink a few extra cups of water if you have a lot of caffeine during the day.

-The more you exercise, the more you sweat, and the more water you'll need to replace."

I think the source was this site:

There's tons of benefits of drinking water, even if you don't think it helped your skin at all.

I dunno. It's all there, but that's just what I've discovered over a time. :shrug:

It may be a myth, I'm not saying it isn't. But that's what I've seen - I haven't done any tests or anything so I wouldn't know :lol:

wow! water can do all of those good things for my skin

If you can't go to the bathroom at least once a day, you definitely need to drink more water! This is linked to acne because of all of the toxins that you can't get out of your system. They then get reabsorbed by the liver while water gets pulled out of the colon, and the toxins still need a way out, which can be through the face! If you can drink more water, do it!

tigermike i agree with what you are saying but it is not what i mean

im talking about overdrinking water (yes there is such a thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication).

im not saying dont drink water whatsoever. i know there are out there people who are dehydrated but this is not my point.

the point is that many people believe that drinking as much water as they can will help them. this is not true.it will insted harm them.

water gives many benefits and people should drink it. but listen to your body!

also, i never said ''drinking alot of water will benefit the skin''is a myth..?

again, my initial post was about overdrinking water

@livvy People who died of water intoxication were drinking absurd amounts in very short periods of time. Most things (including water) are bad for you when you consume absurd amounts.

A quote from the Wikipedia article: "Normal, healthy (both physically and nutritionally) individuals have little reason to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume high amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.[2]"

Maybe we should talk about all the deaths in the United States due to dehydration? I am sure these outnumber water intoxication by a huge number.

Most people in the United States are dehydrated constantly. If you only drink water when you are thirsty, this is bad. Thirst is a sign of dehydration. I would second the notion that you should attempt to drink at least half your body weight in fluid ounces a day.

i completely agree.

but since there is no scientific proof that claims that one will benefit more from drinking a lot of water (more than what your body needs), i see no plausible reason for forcing yourself to drink more. water intoxication is an extreme case but not impossible.

im reading everywhere that people are trying to drink as much as they can, thinking they will benefit more from it. drinking less is as bad as drinking too much. obviously dehydration is more frequent for many factors which i wont state (and appear pretty obvious to me), but this false myth about water might harm people (and its also a waste of water because your body will release what is superfluous).

just do what your body tells you. this was my point.

im not saying anything crazy/absurd because what im telling you now is the result of other' work (doctors and scientists) i dont get why everybody is attacking .

neither i said to do not drink water.

Your research is not comprehensive and some of it is flawed.

The reason that drinking water is helpful in weight control is mostly due to the fact that often times the sensation of hunger is really caused by thirst.

The reality is that water should be consumed in adequate amounts and that is usually not done. Beverages that most people consume contain ingredients that are unhealthy in general - HFCS, dyes, artificial sweeteners, etcetera. If one merely switches off soft drinks and even juice, there would be a terrific health benefit.

Also, high sugar content beverages cause sugar spikes which affect *some* people with acne in a negative way. Caffeinated beverages cause diuresis which can lead to dehydration if what is put out is not replaced in an adequate amount.

The main problem is with the defintion of "a lot". Unfortunately, "a lot" of people would consider 10 glasses of water a day "a lot". It's not. Factor in exercise, body weight, and environmental temperature and an adequate amount could be much more than 10 glasses.

FWIW, yes, there is such a thing as water intoxication. If you don't chug it, that shouldn't happen.

im reading this everywhere: drinking a lot of water is good for your body/skin because it cleans it from impurities.

but guess what? this is just a myth.

also, i never said ''drinking alot of water will benefit the skin''is a myth..?

again, my initial post was about overdrinking water

Your initial post said "drinking a lot of water" and mentioned nothing about overdrinking.

thought it was pretty clear when i said

it probably came from the idea that drinking less is bad. does that consequently mean that drinking a lot is good? not necessary.

the only proven fact is that there is no scientific proof that supports this myth.

thought it was pretty clear when i said

it probably came from the idea that drinking less is bad. does that consequently mean that drinking a lot is good? not necessary.

the only proven fact is that there is no scientific proof that supports this myth.

drinking more than what your body needs is overdrinking

And excreted it goes.

The evidence is that there is no real evidence to support that drinking more water helps, as you say.

Just because drinking water has not been proven, does NOT mean it's completely untrue. Then what exactly are you advocating livvy? Drink when the person is thirsty? Like someone else said...that is a sign of dehydration. Water is constantly lost through respiration, sweating, digestion, etc. It would seem more reasonable to consume more than the basal amount of water needed, since dehydration is very easy to reach.

I know anecdotal experiences is not evidence, but from my experience (and I am sure from a lot of other acne.org users), drinking more water helps the body a ton.

I drink water only when driven by thirst and I've never had a problem with dehydration. Maybe it's because I don't drink anything else but water. If you stick to water I see no reason to drink it when you aren't thirsty, if you do you'll just end up urinating more frequently.

The evidence is that there is no real evidence to support that drinking more water helps, as you say.

Just because drinking water has not been proven, does NOT mean it's completely untrue. Then what exactly are you advocating livvy?

i personally am - as many others ( i can quote someday)

At the start I was trying so hard to drink as much water as possible - but was still broken out as hell months later
- one of the people who started to drink more water to improve my skin, with no results. i used to drink whenever i could, even though i wasn't thirsty.

i might be wrong but i keep reading "drink more water'' to improve your skin or whatever.

i am sure i am not the only one who, as a healthy person who has never suffered of dehydration, was deceived by that sentence. because what people forget, when they say such a statement, is that our body needs balance to stay healthy.

just because drinking water has not been proven, does NOT mean it's completely untrue

if drinking more water has helped you get rid of acne that's great

also,one senses thirst at 2% dehydration. so if you drink water right after is not a big deal.

Just because drinking water has not been proven, does NOT mean it's completely untrue. Then what exactly are you advocating livvy?

i personally am - as many others ( i can quote someday)

At the start I was trying so hard to drink as much water as possible - but was still broken out as hell months later
- one of the people who started to drink more water to improve my skin, with no results. i used to drink whenever i could, even though i wasn't thirsty.

i might be wrong but i keep reading "drink more water'' to improve your skin or whatever.

i am sure i am not the only one who, as a healthy person who has never suffered of dehydration, was deceived by that sentence. because what people forget, when they say such a statement, is that our body needs balance to stay healthy.

just because drinking water has not been proven, does NOT mean it's completely untrue

if drinking more water has helped you get rid of acne that's great

also,one senses thirst at 2% dehydration. so if you drink water right after is not a big deal.

Again, I agree.

Anyway it always "feels" wrong for me to drink a lot of water - kind of like my insides have been bleached lol. But in a way this makes sense as your stomach acid is diluted, you go to the bathroom more, passing out minerals (i.e. the electrolytes) etc

I guess the ideal would be to go for balance and to be in tune with what your body is saying to you - and thirst is how the body tells you when to drink if you need to.

Honestly, a little extra water each day is NOT going to hurt!

and whoever said that it causes inflamation... WRONG.

it reduces inflamation, because it causes the cells to perform better.

dont trust information you find on some random website.

Guest missyjean130

I try and drink a bunch because I'm horribly prone to UTI's,like...I get them freakishly easy.

Also,I've noticed since drinking plenty of water that my red marks actually look more faded on days I'm available to drink more water (I can't drink plenty of water when I'm working because there's no time to!).I think this is somehow due to my skin being hydrated from the INSIDE out. Also,my lips get chapped less often,woot woot.

However I don't think consuming more than 8-10 glasses a day will give you added benefits, I believe in moderation. Also, I think you should space your drinking throughout the day for optimum hydration. Drinking a ton at once will just get peed out since your body doesn't use it. It won't hurt you to drink more though,unless you go WAAAY overboard...heard you can drown yourself lmao.

Overall I feel much better when drinking the appropriate amounts of water. I feel clean and alive. Back when I rarely drank it,I felt more goopy and sluggish.I didn't even notice until I started drinking more how better I felt.

I still believe it *helps* your body flush out toxins as well.

I think what we know is this:

Drinking too little water or none at all can be dangerous.

Drinking too much water can be dangerous.

So I think it'd be obvious to drink as much as your supposed to. It takes very little water/none at all to dehydrate you. As long as you're drinking enough, you should be fine. And as long as you aren't overdrinking and chugging way too much, you'll be okay.

The adequate amount of water presents the benefits I posted previously.

And that's that.

I guess we all interpreted the OP's first post wrong. It wasn't my impression [or much anyone else's] that overdrinking was what she was talking about, but apparently that's the case. I think it's safe to say if you drink as much water as you need, you'll be perfectly fine.