Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have been reading posts all moring from different people. I have decided that I am going to try Accutane. My only issue is what cleanser, lotion, cahpstick, vitamins, sunblock, shampoo, etc to use. If anyone that reads this could let me know that would be great! I am really worried about the side effects and I want to be prepared for when I start.

Thanks!

I would say get a cetaphil moisturizer, aquaphor for chapped lips, and get a 10% benzel peroxide face wash, I use those things and I just started my second week and they are all working great, my face is already clearing up! And good luck with your course!

for skin (dry arms/body and face)- cetaphil moisturizer

i wash my whole body with Dove bar soap

Chap Stic and Aquaphor for lips. a lot of it too

i actually needed a persciption for my lips bc they were sooo bad

facial Cleanser - Johnsons and Johnsons top to toe wash (mild as hell and wont irritate your skin)

Moisturizer - most moisturizers were too irritating for my facial skin so Im now using Emu oil to moisturize, jojoba oil is also good,

Lips - Vaseline

Shampoo - might want to look at head and shoulders anti dandruff, the dryness from tane will affect your scalp aswell and may cause dandruff

Facial Cleanser: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (might be switching though because it doesn't remove makeup very well) But it doesn't iiritate your skin!

Moisturizer: CeraVe (can only get a drugstores like CVS and Walgreens)

Lips: Blistex. I used it all day long. The kind in the blue container. I find that since the weather is warmer they don't get as chapped

Body: Dove Bar Soap and Cetaphil Hydrading Lotion

Scalp: Mines quite dry. I Just started using Head and Shoulders. i like it alot

Sunscreen: When you go out make sure you use a chap stick with SPF. Also a makeup with SPF is a good idea. Other than that i use Neutrogena Sport Face sunscreen with SPF 70+. Anything Neutrogena for your face is great! its non-comedogenic of course. Also, i just discovered Blue Lizard Sunscreen the other day. Its from Aulstralia but you can now buy it in the US. It Amazing so far. My derm reccomened it.

By the way, ive finished two months and im on my third now.

**If you wear Mineral Makeup be aware that its difficult to use on accutane. It irritating on dry skin. It worked wonders when my skin was oily but once my skin was drier it no longer worked for me. I would try a powder or even a liquid. Im using Clinique right now, for the past couple days.

Good luck!

i just started yesterday but i figured i would share what i plan on using since it is a half day today (hurray company golf outing!) and it is friday so i don't really feel like working.

i plan on just continuing to use my normal soap/shampoo/facial moisturizer (old spice body wash/gillette shampoo/neutrogena salicylic acid moisturizer) unless i start to feel like my skin is drying out. might change anyway soon though since i always just buy whatever happens to catch my eye and smells good normally since i like to mix it up.

my derm yesterday had said to use Head & Shoulder if i get any kind of scalp dryness so i will probably use that and then if it is really bad maybe a leave in conditioner too. a friend of mine works in the R&D lab for Head & Shoulders so they use it and always say how soft it makes your hair so might just buy that next time i run out anyway.

the one product i would really suggest though is Burt's Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm. i have used it in the past and it works better for me than chapstick or carmex but is a bit more expensive (around $3). the fruityness of it was always a bit weird for me as a guy so normally i use their mint lip balm but it doesn't moisturize as well as the pomegranate does.

burts bees is wonderful i use the pomegranate too they also have good SPF ones as well.

maybe start using something heavy at night when you sleep just as good prep.

keep on keppin' on

Thanks everyone!!! You are wonderful! Just trying to get through all the initial iPledge...so fun for females haha! Hope everyone is doing well on their course. I'm excited to start and get rid of mine once and for all!!!!

DON'T USE CETAPHIL MOISTURIZER. I have never used such an oily moisturizer in my life. Even my derm told me that it could clog my pores.

I was on a really high dose Accutane (80mg/day 1st month, 120mg/day 4 months) and I have to say that everything was EXTREMELY dry. However, I managed to establish a regiment with my dermatologist so that my skin felt comfortable. Here is what my derm recommended and what I used (and am still using 6 months post-tane). I live in Europe so I am not sure if you could get it in the US but will list it anyway:

CLEANSER: Eucerin gentle wash gel---leaves skin very clean and no dryness

TONER: Avene Thermal water----soothes skin, reduces redness, irritation and leaves the skin smooth

MOISTURIZER: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich----great moisturizer, soaked right in, left my skin soft and glowing with no oily/shiny finish. It is non-comedogenic, oil-free, and hypoallergenic. When in sun, I used Vichy Aqualia Thermal SPF 15, which was nice as well, I never got a sunburn and it was well absorbed into my skin. I hate wearing sunscree because it is always greasy, but Aqualia was just perfect.

LIPS: I found that only BLISTEX MedPlus worked for me, it healed all the cracks and stayed long enough on my lips so I did not have to reapply it every 5 minutes.

One more thing I used during my course was Avene Cicalfate Restorative Cream. I put it on my face at night when my skin was very dry, irritated or flaking. And the next morning my skin was looking great. It is a bit heavy so I used it only at night. Sometimes I also used it in the morning after shaving to soothe my skin (which worked great as well) and on my chapped lips (it helped the recovery).

Well, I did not really moisturize my body. Sometimes I would just use Garnier Extra Dry Skin Body Lotion (the one that smells like maple syrup) and I used L'Oreal Gelee Royale shampoo and conditioner for my hair (it is for very dry hair, it smells of honey, and I used it maybe 2 times a week as my hair was VERY VERY dry and did not have to wash it that often)

As I mentioned in my other post, I am not a product freak. All of it was recommended by my dermatologist and it worked great. Now I have beautiful clear skin, that looks healthy and makes me look much younger, 6 months post tane. Knock on wood.

I wish you all he best with your course, keep us updated!

im going on accutane too and i did some research and i found this regime:

Every Morning

1. Wet face with warm (not hot)water. Work Cetaphil cleanser into skin.

2. Use washcloth in circular motion to buff away dead skin. Don't neglect your lips. Do this once or twice a week because exfoliation every day will be too harsh for your sensitive skin.

3. Follow with cold water, more cetaphil cleanser (no facecloth,) and rinse with cold water.

Pat skin dry with soft towel.

4. Apply The Body Shop's Vitamin E Sink-In mask liberally. A dime size each on the forehead, cheeks and chin. This should be completely soaked into the skin in a few minutes. Apply Vaseline to lips, paying particular attention to the corners of the mouth.

5. Once the moisture mask has sunk in, spray skin with Evian Mineral Water. Wait a few moments and then gently rub in excess water.

6. Conclude with Clinique moisturizer.

Every Night

1. Wash with Cetaphil Cleanser

2. Use Clinique Moisturizer

Cetaphil for how sensitive your skin will become on accutane

The vitamin E Mask to help with the dryness and any hyperpigmentation you'll get

Evian mineral water for refreshing your skin and helping the sink in mask

Clinique as a moisturizer because it's for sensitive skin and you're skin wil get sensitive.

For your hair you should use head and shoulders twice a week and a moisturizing shapmpp like Panteen every day, only condition every other day

For soap you should use a natural soap like Kiss My Face or Trader Joes.

For lips Aquaphor or strait vasaline for when you have time and Blistex for when your running out and need something small.

Hope i helped :D