Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acnedefeater

Completely clear - how to stop BP successfully??

First of all, thank you Daniel Kern for your amazing regimen. My face is completely clear. I don't mind doing the regimen if it gives me clear skin, but I wanted to see how I could come off BP successfully.

A bit about my acne history:

Initially I got it around 13-14 years old. It has always been persistent and moderate to moderate -severe.

I have been on a number of different antibiotics and topical retinoids prescribed for me by my dermatolgist including:

Antibiotics:

- Minocycline

- Doxycycline

- Adoxa

Topical Retinoids:

- Tazorac

- Retin-A Micro

- Neobenz-Micro

- Clindamycin

- Benzoyl Peroxide pads

I am now 21 years old...almost 22. The last time I went to the dermatologist (a long time ago) the doctor's assistant said if she wasn't there, she wouldn't even know that I had a skin problem. She said my skin looked good.

Basically, I have cleared to the point where you can't even tell I had acne at all.

How do I come off the regimen successfully. Do I just quit cold turkey? I am AFRAID of doing that because I quit my Retin-A Micro and Neobenz-Micro cold turkey and all HELL broke loose last November shortly before my birthday.

I quit my antibiotics cold turkey 3 years ago and all hell broke loose too.

So, do I gradually go down to once per day, do I reduce the amount of BP I apply?

The reason I want to try coming off the regimen is because no one in my immediate family (Mom, Dad or Brother) has acne at all. A few cousins have it here and there but nothing too major except for one.Also, I can eat whatever I want including dairy and all the other sweets/junk that is supposedly bad for you and not break out. I do keep a very healthy diet but now my skin is fine.

I have been able to get amazing results without following the regimen precisely. Namely I have done the following things:

- skipped two consecutive applications

- waited WAY LESS than the recommended 10-12 hours between applications

So I think I might have outgrown it but am too afraid to quit cold turkey. What can I do.

Thanks!!

No, I definitely would not quit cold turkey. I say very gradually decrease the amount of BP you're using in the morning over about two weeks. Let's say you're using the full two pumps twice a day...Decrease to one pump in the AM and still use two at night. At the end of two weeks, if you are still clear, decrease again in the morning. What you want to do is to try and eliminate the morning application altogether, if you're skin can still stay clear. If you get to that point, you can try to do the same thing with your nightly regimen. You have to figure out what the least amount of BP is you need to maintain clear skin. Maybe (hopefully) you've outgrown it, but I wouldn't take any chances by just suddenly quitting altogether.

I think it's more a matter of 'if' you can come off of it successfully, not 'how'. If you have outgrown it, like Dacha said, gradually reduce the amount of BP you use. If you don't notice a change, reduce it again and again until you are completely off of it. If you stop cold turkey, it may just cause a breakout - unless you truly HAVE outgrown it. This is with ANY regimen, not just Dan's, as I'm sure you've already found out. Doing it gradually will help you to gauge whether or not your skin is clear because of the BP or because of your own body.

It took me about one month to get clear. The reason is because I was absolutely clear when on my topical retinoids (Retin-A Micro in the morning & Neobenz-Micro at night). I just stopped using my topical retinoids when they ran out and remained clear for about 3-4 weeks after.

Unfortunately, I don't know what I was thinking. I got the Neutrogena green scrub with the large scrubbing beads and menthol and all HELL broke loose. I thought I could use this Neutrogena scrub just once a day and stay clear but it didn't work. I was breaking out horribly with huge pimples that were painful and took a while to heal

Then I moved to Proactiv in a desperation attempt and it made my face 20X worse. Eventually things cleared up and I started the regimen and never looked back. It was just absolute clearing since I started the regimen. I got one moderate zit about one month after I started the regimen but it cleared within a few days and now I can eat whatever I want and stay clear.

I will gradually reduce the amount of BP that I use during the day to see if I can stay clear with just once a day application at night with full BP. If that works I will gradually reduce the amount of BP I use at night so hopefully I can come off the regimen successfully and maintain my clear, healthy skin.

I was using just the treatment for almost a year now. It worked pretty damn well, better than anything else. Thought I could stop using it (that and I wanted to be cheap) - bad idea. It came back pretty hard. Ruined this summer for me... and It just came through the post recently so now hopefully things can get back on track.

Going cold turkey is a bad idea. For whatever reason.

Basically what I've learnt is that theres nothing I can do to actually cure it. Just gotta keep on putting the BP on and keeping it at bay. It's annoying still having this at 20 but, whatever

Personally I did this while my acne went away 100% but after about 2 weeks, not changing anything at all, except for quiting 2.5% BP, my acne came back.

I think it's more a matter of 'if' you can come off of it successfully, not 'how'. If you have outgrown it, like Dacha said, gradually reduce the amount of BP you use. If you don't notice a change, reduce it again and again until you are completely off of it. If you stop cold turkey, it may just cause a breakout - unless you truly HAVE outgrown it. This is with ANY regimen, not just Dan's, as I'm sure you've already found out. Doing it gradually will help you to gauge whether or not your skin is clear because of the BP or because of your own body.

Completely agree, its more of an "if" question.

I see a lot of threads where people get clear, then hope to quit, this regimen is NOT a cure for acne, it is simply a very effective way to control it, and without persistency, your acne problem is likely to return to what it was before.

However in a lot of cases, acne is a result of puberty, so someone who has been clear for a while on this regimen, and now believes he or she has finished puberty, may notice their skin stays clear when they stop, so its worth trying when you think the time is right.