Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greg09

The blood, sweat and tears of Dermarolling!!

Hey peoples,

Here is my honest, no hype, no bull account of my rolling experience.

So after quite a bit of reading and saving money I did my 1st ever roll last friday night. I opted for the 1.5mm 3 line Dr Roller Roller with Terproline applied afterwards. Couldn't get any EMLA in the chemist so I figured I'd just go without but when I removed the roller from the box I was a bit nervous about the needle size to be honest. I used ice packs washed with diluted dettol and Hibiscrub but they only did so much and I could feel the needles piercing my skin quite easily. If you are afraid or needles, I can't see how rolling yourself won't terrify you - it is a pretty nerve racking and initially scary experience.

Prepping was boring and took longer than expecting - washed face and surrounding work area with diluted Dettol and Hibiscrub. Soaked roller in diluted dettol, shaved, washed etc...

Initially I began rolling on my cheek as it is my worst area, I felt the needles right away and had to reapply the ice pack but even then like I said it was still painful. I drew very little blood on my cheeks despite (i thought) rolling quite aggressively - 4 times back and forward in various directions. I continued to reapply the ice pack to my face and roll, each time feeling the pain but it became more bearable as I went on. I moved from my cheek to my temples and forehead and the pain wasn't quite as severe and so I was able to apply a bit more pressure and drew much more blood - not all over the place, just numerous spots of blood and a VERY red forehead!

One of the most bizarre aspects of rolling was the popping noise that I had heard about, i didn't realize that it would be so evident - extremely weird!!

Another thing that struck me was just how long it took to roll, maybe it is because I wasn't numb and nervous but it took me quite a while to roll my entire face. I didn't want to rush it but due to the pain I wasn't quite as careful as I will be next time.

Something which freaked me out was that occasionally one of the needles would get kind of stuck in my skin!! It always came out (sometimes with a slight tug!?) but with no pain - it was still weird and slightly scary, by the looks of things though those pores did bleed but haven't scarred or anything thankfully. Next time I will be using EMLA and so will be more careful - as others have said it will take a few rolls to get used to it but I think it is very, very important to pay attention and try yo develop a good technique.

One thing I struggled with was not covering the same ground a bit, as I would roll an area I was aware that when I moved to the next area sometimes I was hitting bits of the previous area once again. I was worried about over-rolling some areas but my skin has healed well and that doesn't look to have been a problem.

After rolling my face was very ready and bloody in parts - mainly my forehead and temples. I found it more painful to roll around my jawline and below my lip - above the lip was hell and I stopped after 1 slight attempt. I don't have any scars there so there was no way I was going to go through that pain! To be honest I was disappointed at not having drawn a decent amount of blood of my cheeks - didn't get much at all - WTF - how bizarre does this sound!?!?! Anyway, I didn't mind too much coz I am back at work on Tuesday and didn't want to look like a horror film extra.

Cleaned face after the roll and immediately noticed the strange rough texture of my skin. I could also see all the tiny holes that had been made, like large pores over my face - was a bit nervous about this as i thought what if i am just left with a load of large pores!? Applied Terpoline and went to my bed.

Next day - very red; like sun burn. Skin still rough when washing, tiny holes still visible, skin looked pretty crap.

Following day - the redness was much better but I was still a bit red. The pores that bled when rolled still showed blood marks and if I had rolled more aggressively I would have been very aware of not wanting to be seen like that. As it stood I went to the shop that night, people would have just though that I had a very mild sun burn or wouldn't really have cared I imagine.

3 days later (today) - redness has practically gone, even those areas where I definitely rolled aggressively aren't looking to bad , a few tiny blood marks but nothing major. Could have gone to work today. Skin not as rough when washing, holes pretty much gone and skin looking much better.

SOOO... I have to say that although it is early days I am genuinely surprised that I can see an effect of rolling - not on my scars, on the fine lines on my forehead some of which have really faded. This may well be temporary and not concerned about getting old and wrinkly but still it is nice to see that something has happened.

I do really believe that the rolling may have an effect as when I applied the cream to my face or washed for the next few days I got a REAL tingle, almost slight sense of discomfort as the creams penetrated deeper then ever before. This coupled with the fact that my skin has genuinely filled out slightly makes me hopefully that more sessions my really work.

Just to confirm though my scars obviously haven't altered at all and I don't expect them to for at least another 6 months or so. I will roll again in 5 weeks time.

Points to remember when rolling;

You are taking a risk as no matter what people might tell you it is invasive - you are making yourself bleed!! So be warned that it is a serious enough procedure and you MUST read up and speak to people about it beforehand at the very least!

Take your time to prepare properly as hygiene is sooo important. Also, you really do need to remain calm and controlled and not get carried away, I kept reminding myself that I only have 1 face and that I couldn't drift away or dick about at any time.

It is scary!!! I don't care what people say, I am not afraid of needles but sticking that thing into your face for the 1st time is pretty nerve racking and so it should be as like I said you only have 1 face.

I will update this thread with my progress and would hope that others might contribute as we're all here for the same reason. Also, if anyone could advise me in any way given what I have said I would really appreciate it as I am no expert in any way, shape or form.

Thanks.

Just wanted to thank you for posting your experience. There's a

lot of great people helping others in this forum. In a month or so

I'm either gonna roll with a 1.5 or use the 1.5 dermastamp. For

some reason I'm really nerveous about the 1.5 roll, I've rolled

twice with a 1.0 mm and it went well. If I 1.5 roll, one thing I

decided is to throw away the roller after 1 use. I dunno, I'm

just petrified of contaminated/bent needles. And roll every 2 months.

If possible, can you isolate/explain the sticking problem with the

roller??? I want this to go as smoothly as possible.

thanks again, excellent report for all

Just wanted to thank you for posting your experience. There's a

lot of great people helping others in this forum. In a month or so

I'm either gonna roll with a 1.5 or use the 1.5 dermastamp. For

some reason I'm really nerveous about the 1.5 roll, I've rolled

twice with a 1.0 mm and it went well. If I 1.5 roll, one thing I

decided is to throw away the roller after 1 use. I dunno, I'm

just petrified of contaminated/bent needles. And roll every 2 months.

If possible, can you isolate/explain the sticking problem with the

roller??? I want this to go as smoothly as possible.

thanks again, excellent report for all

No problem. I am not sure if it was as a consequence of me not rolling as smoothly as I should, there are certainly no bent needles. Next time I will numb my face and ice pack so that I can be more careful.

AS for discarding the roller after 1 use, I plan on using the roller 3-4 times before getting a new one. I disinfected it well and the needles aren't really going to bend from piercing through soft flesh certainly not after 1 roll, I think the issue is more to do with the needles getting slightly blunt but once again I doubt that 1 roll would do this.

How have you felt the 1mm rolls went? Has your skin appearance improved even if your acne scars haven't?

One of the most bizarre aspects of rolling was the popping noise that I had heard about, i didn't realize that it would be so evident - extremely weird!!

Did you hear the popping noise only when rolling scars or was it present when rolling the full face?

My first 1mm roll I didn't really roll that aggressively,

I didn't have numbing cream and it hurt a lot. The second one

with emla went well I thought. It hurt somewhat, but not

like the first one. It was so interesting because of the

micro-swelling to see my face perfectly smooth for

a couple of days (a little red). It was kind of nice to

see myself with no scar shadows, and hope in the future

this is what I will look like.

I am really living a heathly lifestyle, and hopefully am doing

everything for success. I have a "mild" chemical burn on

my left cheek, which happily is sloooooowly healing well.

I did a chemical peel in late december (I was sick of a scar)

and just overdid it. What is interesting is the scar is not

reforming at all. Its healing smoothly. Also got some other

acne scars. Anyway if I were to put a number on it

(which is hard to do), in 3 months I've seen a 15-20% improvement.

Definately smoother, less valleys. I'm happy so far.

What really strikes me is how slow everything is happening.

Just have to be patient.

In late August, early September, Im going to town with the

next roll. I am hoping with a good 1.5 roll (or stamp), I'll

see good improvement down the road.

Popping noise occurred with almost every roll of the device, not just on scars and,it was apparent that when I applied more pressure I could clearly hear it whereas when i didn't so much it was barely audible at all and sometimes didn't occur.

Just to clarify 2 things, firstly I did not roll really, really aggressively all over and won't ever do it VERY aggressively no matter what people say - I was about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yes, I will do it harder next time so as to get more of the tiny blood clots but another member has posted pics on his site showing his roll with a .75mm roll which seemed to draw a lot of blood but the thing is that I can also see trail, line marks in the picture and for me that kind of rolling is just too risky. You can see the image in the link provided in another thread by the gut below - I really hope he doesn't mind me linking to his site!

http://www.pcbuilder.biz/dermarolling.html

Secondly, I don't want people to get the impression that I think that my skin is already showing signs of real repair after a few days. I find it daft when people jump the gun and proclaim that procedures work within no time at all - what I am saying is that I believe this may have an effect and that regardless of whether it is microswelling or not I didn not expect to see fine lines lessen very slightly within days. This may not last and like I said I don;t care about some fine wrinkles, I care about lessening my scarring.

Hey Greg,

what's your opinion of applying a topical A or C after rolling?

I know its the "standard", Dr. Fernandez wrote,

"The patient is encouraged to use topical vitamin A and vitamin C as

a cream or an oil to promote better healing and greater production

of collagen" (after rolling).

My fear is getting an infection from a non-sterile topical applied

directly after rolling. (I got an infection from collagen injections 3

years ago, but had a weak immune system at the time).

We have all these tiny puncture wounds on our face,

and then applying a non-sterile topical??

I didnt apply topicals directly after rolling yet, I think

it was the next day. An aside..... I was petting a neighbors cat

yesterday, and got scratched really deep on my hand with a lot of

blood and didn't even consider getting an infection.... its already

healing!!

The popping noise is extremely disturbing. Questions...

1. Did you pattern your technique to lamarr's process?

2. Where did you purchase your "DermaRoller"? Is it the original German brand?