Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I want to make this short as i can.

I struggled with acne since 12 or 13. Im 24/m now and have been 99% acne free since february of this year.

My acne was very persistant, mild to moderate, with probably 7-10 active (1 or 2 being larger cystic) spots on my face and into my 20's pretty bad back and chest acne.

I tried proactive, Dan's regimen, all washes, and seemingly all the OTC methods.

My biggest issue is that i was so embarrassed with the acne that I hid my worries from my parents (who should be your biggest allies in this situation) and they had never pushed me to go to see a derm.

Finally, after trying everything and watching my life and happiness slowly slip away as my acne continued to haunt me, i decided to give in and see a derm.

If there are any of you out there who are in the same postion as i was, i urge you, please go see a doctor. The embarrassment will only be temporary (and much less than i had imagined). These people see others like you every day and they're specialized to treat you much better than you could yourself.

Anyway, i saw the derm and after putting me on several antibiotics, several regimens of all the prescription topicals you could imagine, i finally gave in and went on Accutane.

I was sooooooo scared of accutane with all thats posted on here and on the internet. so many horror stories around or so i thought, and i never thought that i could deal with a severe break out as usually results from beginning accutane.

Accutane was the greatest thing that has happened to me in terms of my acne. After one week my oily skin subsided and my active acne soon began to dry up. After two weeks it was clear that my acne was starting to fade and i didnt experience any severe break outs. My skin was very dry, but manageable as i made sure to moisturize every day.

I wont lie, accutane was difficult but it was AMAZING seeing the changes. I went on a 6 month course and took the highest amount my doctor would prescribe to me ( it goes by your weight). Not until the beginning of month 6, however, did my acne really really deteriorate. From the 2 week mark to month six, my acne was slowly subsiding, but then at month 6 i really felt confident that i was beating this.

I ended my course at the end of February and have no experienced any break outs (only minor pimples that seem to go away in 1 or 2 days) and im keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

All i do now is wash with a daily cleanser and im finally able to live my life and not worry about people being disgusted with my acne.

The purpose of this post is to say that nothing comes easy. You cant expect a miracle over the counter solution to solve everything. If acne is really ruining your life YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST TAKE IT INTO YOUR OWN HANDS AND SEE A DOCTOR. If early medications do not give you the desired results PLEASE DO NOT FEAR ACCUTANE. Do you want to live in sadness every day or take a chance at something that has been proven to be the strongest and most successful medication against serious acne???

Please people.

My dermatologist prescribed me to some BP cream, lotion and some sort of pill (I think it was tetracylin or something. I dont remember because it made me so violently sick I had to throw it away). After that visit, my light to moderate acne got worse, and I don't think he would have given me accutane because I wasn't severe enough.

I found that the only thing that works for me is completely natural products, and supplements. Almost all over the counter stuff I tried with chemicals (like dimethicone) made me break out. So stuff like Extra virgin olive oil, Unrefined shea butter, African black soap works wonders for me. Now I hardly get bumps anymore, and my skin texture is going back to normal really quickly.

For supplements, I take cod liver oil, zinc, green tea pills, and hair skin and nail supplements from the health store.

This might only work for light to moderate acne.

I'm so glad accutane worked for you though, and people who are desperate and can get their hands on it should definately try it out.

Do you want to live in sadness every day or take a chance at something that has been proven to be the strongest and most successful medication against serious acne???

Answering this question is what led me to start accutane. I'm now in my 7th week and I'm really happy I took the plunge. I'm waiting to post my success story until the end of my course (either 5 or 6 months, depending on how I'm holding up with side effects at that point), but I'm really glad you posted your story, it gives me hope!

Do you want to live in sadness every day or take a chance at something that has been proven to be the strongest and most successful medication against serious acne???

No, I wish I just waited it out. Even if acne was ruining my life for over 7 years, it would of disappeared eventually or I would of found something else. My brother is 24 and no longer has acne, I took accutane at 23 so a year too early. I have paid the costs with my health, and believe me, your health is something that's very difficult to regain once it has vanished into a black hole.