Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrObi

Fraxel Restore for chicken pox scar

OK I've posted this in the Emo forum, but thought I posted this here too:

I had my first Fraxel restore treatment on June 11th and it went succesfully, then I got a very bad case of chicken pox only within a week after I finished my treatment. I ended up with quite a few scars anywhere from my forehead, nose, jaw to middle of both of my cheeks...areas that looked good before, now are occupied with scars. All the scabs on my face have falled off....but aside from very deep (maybe up to 2 mm?) scars, I have about 30-40 blotches/red marks all over my face. A good portion of summer has passed (along with parties, etc..) now I'm trying to at least get rid of the blotchiness and let Fraxel hopefully minimize the actual scars.

I'm very frustrated of why this actually happened to me..(but that's probably for a different post)...right now, for marks, I'm trying to use a very gentle papaya mask exfoliator (I've used this before, it was great- from zia natural), and for moisturizers I'm using Gold Bond restore moisturizer with Vit A,E/C and also apply hydroquinone 4% to hopefully bleach the marks a little bit.

Originally I was planning on only doing 4 Fraxels....now maybe I have to up it to 6-8....including a couple full face treatments (my whole forehead was free of scars, now maybe I have about 10+ including the eyebrow area...all much bigger and deeper and make even my biggest acne scars look like a joke).

Any comforting thoughts, comments on how to improve and deal with this? I've been out working since last Thursday and it's not contagious..but I dont want to miss the rest of this summer....I was housebound for maybe about 2 1/2 weeks (including hospital stay) that was horrible enough.

I don't think Fraxel can fully eliminate the scarring...but because the pox scars are new, I'm happy with 50-75% improvements (since some people say they go away almost by themselves in a year or so).

i have been going through soemthing similar with an accident with left with with alot of redness still 6 months out and some scars, i ahve doing fraxel and vbeam. i was told 1 year to heal wounds and lasers will help. if you have pic let me see what can help

Six months with redness? I certainly hope mine isn't that bad....I look REALLY horrible with about 50 dark spots all over.

I had something looked very similar when I had my smoothbeam mishap five years ago...my skin blistered like crazy..it took me about a month for the blisters to crust and flake...but this one I am not sure....it's only been about 10 days though since I left the hospital....maybe I will see gradual improvements within the next month or so. The nurse told me I got a good six weeks for my face to go back to normal... (and the word normal is relative I think....but at least normal enough to go to a formal party...and she has seen me at my worst).

just curious, what's your age when you got chickenpox and were you vaccinated? Also did you pick at your skin a lot while having chickenpox?

about the fraxel, From what I've heard chickenpox scars don't work well with Fraxel, I would try something less expensive and less risky. You still have a lot of time to heal, it'll look a lot better is 6 months in terms of redness. worry about this first because redness makes the indents look worse.

just curious, what's your age when you got chickenpox and were you vaccinated? Also did you pick at your skin a lot while having chickenpox?

about the fraxel, From what I've heard chickenpox scars don't work well with Fraxel, I would try something less expensive and less risky. You still have a lot of time to heal, it'll look a lot better is 6 months in terms of redness. worry about this first because redness makes the indents look worse.

I'm in my mid 30s and looks like I was never vaccinated. I admit, I should've tied my hands during my worst week....I thought that some of the scabs were already dry enough...some of them I just tapped or very lightly rub because it was very itchy...and yes, I know now I shouldn't have done that.

So far I've been washing my face with cleanser, use fruit/papaya enzyme mud mask in the afternoon after work (two days so far), smother my face in aloe vera, multivitamin moisturizer...so far it helps a bit....

I've done one Fraxel Restore so far and I actually liked what I see afterwards (well, short one week...which now as much as I bitched about my face before...it was much better than it is now :( ). I left a message at my derm's (nurse) voicemail....we'll see what they say.

Hi everybody I have a quick question...for those of you who has had Fraxel Restore....say you had the treatment Friday morning....can you use some kind of foundation or those mineral type powder on your face by Sunday? I scheduled my appointment forgetting that I have to be somewhere (performing on stage) on Sunday....people won't be able to see me that clearly, but at least I want to reduce the redness a little bit.

Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks

hard to say wiothut pic, if better with or without and what color woudl blend in best

Sorry yes i was going to send a pic, but realized for some reason i misplaced my camera...gotta get a new one this weekend so I can take pics and send to my derm too.

Regardless the color....I was just curious...so let me rephrase the question:

Those whoever have done Fraxel Restore. At what point you're able to put some kind of make up on your face?

I keep scratching my head...for the amount of members that this board has compare to six years ago, getting answers is much much slower. A bit frustrated with this I must say.

hey everybody i'm gonna have my 2nd Fraxel on Friday...wish me luuuck!!!!

:pray:

Good luck! I hope you get the results you are looking for.

Thanks THX!

Update...I just got back from my derm..2nd treatment today. My goodness the nurse is SOOO nice!! She looked at my face and asked me what I wanted to do...she knows my story about my 1st treatment...and I said, after being unfortunate with my 1st treatment and chicken pox...now my forehead (which had no scars) now has 10-15 big ones....but now I have to almost double my money to do this....and I told her, ya know what just do the partial face...

Before I finished my sentence, she left the room....and closed the door. I looked at my face in the mirror....and she came back.

"Tell you what, we'll spot treat all those ones in the forehead...and *whisper* we'll just throw those in together with your treatment.."

I was SOOO haappy!! :dance:

Heck, she even brought me back a sandwich when she came back from lunch!!! :D

I even offered that I could pay some rather than them doing it for free...she said..dont worry this is on me....*sigh* I've had a rough summer and that really made my day!!!

Anyway....treatment went fine...since it's still in the summer, I blasted my A/C in the car on the way home so we'll see if that helps with cooling off the redness.

Level still at 6, but energy level was bumped to 50 mj (I think the depth was at 1224 micron?) She laughed and :rolleyes: when I asked all these questions...she probably thought...I'm just a bit too much into Fraxel. I told her...hey, not that I'm high maintenance or anything like that :boohoo::ninja:

Still did 8 passes for the whole face, but this time she went back and bumped the setting to 70mj and changed the wand to a small tip and passed over the scars like 2-3 times each.

AND she went over my forehead with 8mj (very low level I know)..she said this is equivalent to a chemical peel...but she had spot treated this with the 70mj and the machine showed 1316 micron. I told her that anything over 45mj would be great for my scars.

She said I only had one pin point blood on my face, rest was good...so we'll see how this goes! :pray:

Just an update in case anybody cares :shifty: