Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newgirl

Newgirl's Accutane Journal

FFS, don't pop those pimples if they aren't ready for it. It's hard, I know. But whenever you feel that need, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and think of the consequenses: how will my skin look when I pop this pimple? When the pimple is 'ready', maybe your skin will improve. When it's not ready, your skin will look like shit. I use this method, but it's very hard to keep up with it. Sometimes I don't even notice I'm picking at those DAMN zits; and then: *SHIT! too late!*.

Keep writing this diary, please :D

it is definitely not as bad to pop when the pimple is actually ready...but if it is not ready and you keep squeezing...bad stuff happens! i have learned my lesson, and although i haven't stopped picking, i am trying really hard not to pick at everything and anything that may be something on my face.

and sinse there are a few of you that do read my journal, i will definitely keep updating. i hope that it is helping in some way.

is it good to pop white heads becuase my white heads ain't going away and it hardens like really hard i have so many whiteheads on my face its not even funny kinda gross with all that dry skin and all. so is it alrite to pop white heads?

Maybe we should make this a seperate topic, since this is newgirl's diary, after all. As to your question, I think it varies from person to person. I try not to pop any zits, even if they are ready. But sometimes my face looks so ugly because of them that I have to pop some zits. I believe that the red spot/semi-zit that remains lasts longer than zits you didn't touch. When the latter dried out, you can easily scratch of the white surface of them; at least, that's what I do.

My advice: pop the zits if they make your face look like shit, maybe they'll last longer, but walking around at school with those huge whiteheads sucks even more.

day 57

well, i have a derm appt. today. they called to let me know that my blood tests came back fine, so my derm will be upping my dose today to 80mg's. she said that i will be on 80mg's for the last 3 months...i am just hoping that i do not go through another breakout due to upping the dosage.

before accutane, i could see a lot of little bumps under my skin that were pimples that would eventually come up. i think that most of them have. i have barely any of them left, and am still expecting them to rise and form, so i know that i still have a ways to go.

my skin really looks decent for the past few days. i am not picking as much. i am only picking at ones that seem like they are ready. last week a few very inflamed ones popped up, and i ended up squeezing them, and they popped. the next day there was barely any sign of them, and this is the reason that i have trouble not picking...becasue sometimes i think that it heals faster and better. i don't know, but i haven't gotten any inflamed ones all this week, so i am really pumped!

besides that, i really need to start moisturizing. this rash on the back of my hands keeps coming back, so i am going to talk to my derm about that.

my back broke out with so many scabby bumps the first month, and it seems so much smoother now, so that is a good sign. i think that my treatment is going well.

feel free to post on my journal...i don't mind.

until next time...peace!

day 62

well, this is my 2nd day on 80mg's, and so far so good. i am expecting a few more breakouts. i have a few bumps under the skin that still have to clear up, so sinse i upped the dose, i'm sure they will be rising soon enough. my skin looks fairly decent. when i pop a pimple that is ready, it goes away so quickly...so i am really trying only to pick at the ones that are ready.

did i say this before? i really need to start moisturizing my whole body. my skin is just going to get dryer and dryer, and i must prepare myself for it. the rash on the back of my hands have cleared up...for now. and there are dry patches of skin randomly all over my body...a sign that i am not moisturizing enough.

other than that, i am doing quite well. my blood tests came back fine. i haven't changed anything in my diet either, so i am really suprised. i have been having a few headaches lately, but i think that i'm getting sick, or just sick of sitting in front of the computer all day.

anyone out there who's dose has gradually been upped, can you tell me if you broke out each time. i am just wondering what to expect.

peace

day 68

well, i am breaking out, and i am sure that it is from the upped dosage. it happened within a few days of starting the higher dose, but i expected it, so i can't really freak out. i am starting to clear up a little bit. i actually have 2 zits on my face right now that i am so anxious to pop. they're not really big, but one of them is itchy, and i think that it's ready to go.

my lips are so dry! i am obviously very compulsive! i can't stop picking at my face, and now i can't stop biting my lips!

okay, i just needed to vent. but really, besides that, no other side effects really to talk about. i am doing quite well actually. i will kepp ya'll updated.

until next time...peace!

Hey newgirl

I was on Accutane and I don't remember breaking out for each increase in dosage. What I can suggest tho is perhaps decreasing your dosage a little. 8) From what I remember about Accutane is that your skin will still clear on a smaller dosage - it will just take longer.

I know what you mean about the picking - I am not a compulsive person at all but sometimes the urge to pick is just overwhelming. Sometimes I even wake up at night after a day of being good and discover I have ruined it. :D

I dunno about the diet thing. Dan says studies have not linked diet to acne. I am waiting for my skin to clear totally on Dan's regimen and then I plan to conduct my own experiments as regards diet and post a log.

Good luck with your course and I hope your skin clears soon

kragvark...

thanks for your post! i haven't broken out too bad. i just figure that these pimples that are under my skin are going to pop up one way or another, so i am not going to get too upset about it. i will try and stop picking as much as i can.

as far as dieting goes, i think that it is different for everyone. i think that people's skin reacts differently to different kinds of foods. maybe some people break out from spicey foods and such, but it will be interesting to hear about your journey. keep us posted!

peace

Hey, newgirl I'm a picker too. If I squeeze it's like instant relief and only a small scab which lasts only a days or so which I can conceal easily. If I don't squeeze, I have a painful zit hanging around for weeks which leaves a scar :evil: I don't know what's with all this 'don't squeeze them' stuff. I even have squeezed cysts with no terrible effect. Maybe i'm a good picker or something :shock:

day 76

well, i am definitely going through another breakout sinse my dosage was upped to 80mg's. it's starting to calm dowm a bit though. my skin and my lips are so incredibly dry that i have started to moisturize after every time i wash my face rather than just in the morning.

i am at the half way mark for my treatment which is awesome sinse the first half wasn't too bad. i just can't wait to get these "initial" breakouts over with. most of them are the kind that haven't come to a head, but splatter all over the mirror when popped. it is so gross, and i know that i shouldn't touch them, but most of them go away really quickly after i pop them that i can't help myself. well, hopefully i won't have anything else to pick at really soon.

other than that, i am really sore. i moved this past weekend, and i could feel it. my heels really hurt, which is definitely from the accutane. i never had that before, but after a few hours, the pain went away.

i also wanted to mention something that i don't think that i've mentioned before, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or has heard of this. mostly you hear about eyes getting dry, and mine seem to be the complete opposite. mine seem to always be watering. it's weird, but i guess it is better than being really dry. let me know if you have heard of this.

well, until next time...peace!

maybe ur eyes are trying to compensate for lack of moisture and are overcompensating or something. Mine seem to be ok, but kinda sting just a little when i shut em...

peace

-Cory

hey newgirl,

give yourself another month and i'm sure your skin will really clear up. thing with accutane is that you will should definitely clear up while you are on the medication but the big worry is if the acne ever comes back. i have been on accutane twice and after both times the acne has returned, albeit in not such a horrifying manner.

just make sure you take the tablets at exactly the same time everyday ensuring that your blood levels have a constant dosage in it.

perhaps u should moisturize during the day, then don't touch your skin throughout and only in the evening when you wash your face, just gently rub it to get rid of the dead skin ? just my suggestion.

hope all goes well !

Hi Newgirl and everyboy!

Did Accutane actually change your oily skin to "normal" skin?

If it does.. oh my god. i need it, no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bytheway.. Thank you, Newgirl.. your journal is really ...readable :D .. waha.. i meant it's really cool.. dont you think?

so how are you now? :)

carsonvissio...it does not change ur oily skin to normal skin, it changes it to extremely over dried skin. It will return to normal after the treatment, but u will cease to create new lesions....at least for a while.

carsonvissio...i am glad that you enjoy reading my journal.

as incubus777 said, accutane does completely dry out your skin while on the treatment, but i am not sure if he/she is right about after the treatment. from what i have read and heard, most people who had really oily skin before accutane did say it came back, but it was no where near as bad as before. maybe it is just differrent for everyone. my skin was pretty oily, so i am hoping for the best.

i have been really optomistic about this treatment, and am just hoping for the best. what else can you do? i hope that i am one of those people that never has to deal with acne ever again after accutane...and it does happen more often than not. you just hear a lot of negativity on these boards because these are the people that it did not work for. the ones that it did work for are now out enjoying their lives!

peace!

this log is a very good idea and i am enjoying reading it thx newgirl

but i thought popping or squeezing sits or whatever may cause scaring rather than just leaving the zit heal by itself, and i heard that when u pop it the bacteria inside can leak out (liquid) and spread around the skin where it was popped if not washed off correctly therefore starting more zits... :?: :)

matangeles...i am very aware that popping zits is not a good thing, but it is something that i just can't help myself with. many times, not all, after i pop a zit, it goes away very fast. sometimes i make a big mess when i pick. i try not to pick a lot, but sometimes it's just a lost cause.

day 80

this week my skin seems to be clearing up. ever since i started this treatment, every time my dosage is upped, i seem to break out. i get confused though, because my period falls around the same time, and i am thinking that it may be a combination of both an initial breakout (each time the dose is upped), and my period. just a thought.

i have been moisturizing every time i wash my face, which is 2-3 times a day, and that has really helped the dryness. my lips aren't even that dry the past few days. maybe they got so bad (skin and lips) while my body was getting used to the 80mg's a day. who knows.

what i do know is that i am more than half way through my treatment, and i can't wait to get it over with. so far my coarse has been smooth sailing with barely any side effects...except for breaking out...which is to be expected, so it does not upset me too much.

feel free to ask any question! peace

i usually post in the lounge but am very bored and decided to look around here. Im no expert but washing your face more than twice a day is bad even if you have perfect skin. I only wash my face once a day.

Ive had acne for 6 years off and on and I have experimented with everything, and washing my face 3 times a day keeps my skin more clear than only washing twice. I have pretty oily skin for the most part so maybe that has something to do with it.

And NewGirl, im a guy :-....well ive been on accutane three times and the skin returns back to normal but might be a little less oily than before. Not a substantial difference though for me. At least when ur done with the session of accutane ur skin will be clear for at least a year so dont sweat it.

peace

-Cory

i wouldn't feel clean if i only washed once a day, although you may be right that more than twice a day is too much. i have to wash in the morning and before i go to sleep, but i have gotten into a habbit of washing right when i get home from work too. maybe i will try to only wash it once after work.

spongebob...my skin was far from severe, but very persistant. until about a year and a half ago, my skin wasn't too bad. i would break out maybe once a month. i feel like my skin got bad right when i started taking orthotricycline (birth control), and quit smoking. go figure. the birth control is supposed to help your skin, and smoking is just supposed to be all 'round better for you, including your skin. neither did anything good for me.

about side effects, i have really dry lips, dry skin, rashes that go away if you moisturize (which i have not been doing enough), achy joints sometimes, but not too bad, and 3 nose bleeds. nothing major at all.

hope i helped

day 83

well, my treatment is going well. i have a derm appt. on thursday for my 3 month checkup, and had my blood taken this past weekend, which is always pleasant. my skin is doing okay. i have a big zit on my cheek that i am going to try really hard not to pop beause i don't want to make it look any worse. right now i have maybe 2 or 3 zits...not too bad.

i had my 3rd nosebleed this weekend. i am pretty sire that i get nosebleeds around this time of year, but combined with the accutane...holy shit! this one lasted, i swear, maybe 4 hours. i just could not get it to stop. eventually it did, and i haven't had a problem sinse, but it really sucked. i cleaned out my garage before i got it. maybe the dust had something to do with it...i don't know.

other than that, i am doing quite well. i am happy that people are reading my journal, and i hope it is helping some of you. feel free to ask questions. i am more than happy answering them the best that i can, from my experience.

peace