Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newgirl

Newgirl's Accutane Journal

I started taking accutane on Feb. 6th. The doctor prescribed me 40 mg's a day to start, and she said that she will up the dose to 60 mg's the 2nd month, and then 80 mg's the 3rd, 4th and 5th month.

So far I haven't really noticed any change. I am very optomestic about it, though. Looking forward to having clear skin in a few months!

Well, I took my 6th pill yesterday, and so far nothing much has happened. My skin is starting to dry out, but nothing really major. My nose and my eyes are really dry, too. Other than that, i'm doing pretty well.

Also, i'm a picker. I can't help myself, and what i've noticed is that after I pop a pimple, it seems to go away overnight. Anyone else notice that?

So, today is day 8, and my lips are starting to dry out. I have been using chapstick and trying not to pick all the dead skin off, but sometimes that is so hard. I also think that my skin is starting to get a little red, or maybe it's just me. I have been using Nutrogena oil free moisturizer every morning, and so far that's all I need.

I got a hug zit on my forehead which I tried to pop, but it wouldn't. I am trying not to pick, but sometimes it's just hard. All the other ones that i've picked at sinse starting accutane seem to dry up so quickly...but some of them are leaving red marks. I've always picked at my skin, and have always gotten red marks that seem to go away after a few weeks...I just hope that the accutane doesn't make the healing time longer.

Until next time....Peace!

day 12

Well, my skin hasn't looked too hot this past week. I don't know if that has anything to do with the accutane, or if it was skin progressively getting worse on its own. My lips are really dry. I'm just trying to keep them moisturized. My skin is drying a little, but not really enough to tell about. Besides that, nothing new, just trying not to pick at my face.

it's normal to see all that.....acne will be away from ur skin whn u reached 3rd month...but not the scars....scars heal at a very very low rate....so dun stress over scars when u on accutane.

yo, im a picker too and I think popping zits is the best way to get rid of em. My skin doesnt scar at all so its all good for me. Right now I am on my 5th week of accutane. Your skin almost always will get worse at first...dont worry about it. And the red marks take a long time to go away on accutane as well. Try not to pop ur zits once on accutane tho, cuz it is more likely to scar. Even tho I never scar when off accutane, I have a few small scars from previous accutane cycles. Only pop if it is 100% ready.

good luck

-cory

well, i guess that this is day 14.

my lips are really drying up, but not too bad yet.

incubus...it seems like all of my zits are ready to pop, that's why i just can't help myself. i agree that popping them is the best/fastest way to get rid of them, so i am having a hard time stopping.

my skin actually looks better today than it has in a while, but i am still expecting the initial breakout because i don't want to psych myself out. the doctor is supposed to be upping my dose in 2 weeks to 60mg's, so maybe that will make me break out. i don't know, but so far so good.

until next time...peace!

day 19

well, my skin doean't look too great today...i picked, and now have some red marks that are so dry...it looks so horrible! i have to stop picking, but for those of you who pick, you know it's hard not to.

my lips are really dry, and i tend to bite them a lot, but besides that, i just use chapstick and deal with it.

i am really happy though. no sign of depression for me. how can i be when i know that in just a few months, i won't have to deal with this anymore.

my family and friends have been giving me a lot of hope with success stories of people they know. my bro-in-law was speaking to a doctor that he works with that took accutane, and my bro-in-law said that you would have never known that he had bad skin, so that pumped me up.

my skin was never severe. at my worst, i had maybe 10-15 zits on my face at one time, so for anyone that took accutane with similar skin problems, can you tell me about your initial breakout? please?

until next time...peace!!!

day 22

well, there hasn't been much to pick at the past few days, so that has given my skin some time to heal from when i did pick at it.

my skin is dry though. i have been using neosporin moisture cream in the morning, but it is not strong enough because when i'm at work, my skin looks so dry i end up using the cream i carry in my purse, which is vaseline intensive care advanced healing lotion, and that makes me look a lot better. before accutane i would never have put that on my face, but i think that it needs it.

and besides the dry lips, i don't really have any other side effects. i have to get a blood test on saturday, so i hope that comes out well.

until next time...peace!

day 26

i don't know if i have had the initial breakout, or if i am going to get it. my skin hasn't gotten much worse or much better yet, so i guess we'll see when they up the dose this weekend.

I have 1 pimple on my cheek that seems to have been there for a few weeks, and nothing is happening to it. i guess that it's cystic, but i'm not too sure. i will show my dermotologist this thursday at my appointment.

last week or the week before, my chin felt like sandpaper. i guess all of the blackheads were surfacing. This week it is so smooth. I also notice really black blackheads around my face, so i'm assuming that it's the same thing that happened to my chin.

my lips are really dry. my skin is really dry, but i only have to use lotion once a day, so not too bad. i don't think that i have any other side effects so far, except i got my first bloody nose last week...it was so dry.

so far so good (well, not too bad)! i'll keep ya'll posted.

peace!

day 30

well, i went to the derm yesterday and she gave me a prescritpion for 60 mg's a day for month 2. i have really no complaints. my blood tests came back fine, my lips are really dry, and my skin is no longer oily.

i am still breaking out, but it is definitely not as bad as i had expected it to be. i am hoping that it doesn't get any worse before it gets better since i am upping the dose as of tomorrow.

i will keep ya'll informed. until next time...peace!!!

day 34

well, it's been 4 days since i started my higher dose of 60mgs. i have a small rash on the back of my hands that i'm trying to get rid of. my back has also been breaking out pretty bad. not too many inflamed pimples, but a lot of scabby-like spots that i can't help but scratch off.

i woke up today with 2 more pimples, and i'm wondering if this is normal when the dosage is upped...can anyone confirm?

other than that, everything is pretty normal. one thing is that i thought that the accutane was going to dry my eyes out, but instead i feel like they are always very watery. i seem to tear a lot, and my bf noticed it the other day. i thought that i was, but i didn't realize that it was obvious. i guess that's better than dry eyes? yes?

any response to my question is much appreciated.

peace!

day 40

well, last week i was doing fine. my skin seemed to be clearing up, but today i feel like i look horrible. i picked at a few spots on my face, and now it looks really bad. i have got to stop picking!!!

i have a little rash on the back of my hand that is slowly going away. my back is clearing up a lot, so i'm pretty pumped about that. umm...nothing else really out of the norm to tell about, but i will keep informed.

Does this journal help anyone, or is it just a waste of my time?

Peace!

no, please go on!

I'm still considering taking accutane,

i think i'll give the regimen + diet 3 or 4 more months.

so yes, this does help me. pictures might have been

additional help, but whatever..

starting with low-dosage and upping it after some months

really seems to minimalize the initial breakout?

arg i just started accutane last week 40mg one day and 80mg on another day so basically its 40mg one day and 80mg the next and so on. doesn't look like its gona clear me up for a while. arg my skin was fine 2-3 weeks ago and after it just broke out so much so i went to see the derm and she put me on accutane i hope this works. :lol: good luck to you! i heard it usuallys clears up 4-5 months im on it for 5 months.

good luck to you too! i am also on it for 5 months. For me, what i've noticed is that you go through many ups and downs during this treatment, so you just have to be patient...and try really hard not to pick. it makes a world of difference as i am learning.

newgirl.. don't give up journaling!! it helps a lot of people here, and i'm sure it's a good catharsis to yourself as well.. i'm looking at your post "views" and it's at like.. 360 right now.. that's how many times people have visited.. so don't lose hope.. be encouraged..

i hope your accutane experience goes well.. it might start to break out more as u up your dosage, but it will get much much better after that.. so don't give up!!

and smile.. =)

day 47

well, i think that from upping the dosage i have broken out. i was pretty clear at the end of month 1, and here i am breaking out in month 2. i am actually worse than i have ever been, but i am still very optomistic that i will be clear in just a few more weeks.

my chin, jawline, and cheeks have gotten it the worst. they are inflamed, and hurt when you touch them. i can't stop myself from squeezing them! they just feel so much better after i pop them, and that is really bad because they are leaving red marks, but i just have a really hard time not picking. they also scab up after i pick them, and then i pick at the scabs because they look really bad...so you can imagine me looking like a mess!!! it's really not that bad...i'm sure it looks a lot worse to me.

other than that, i am far from depressed, even though my acne is the worst it has ever been. i think that people on accutane need to just stay in good spirits, and try not to psyche yourselves out. it is really working well for me. i just keep reminding myself that it will all be over soon, and i will hopefully never have to deal with more than 1 zit at a time ever again.

until next time...peace!!!

i had tried just about every oral and topical medication before i started using accutane. tetracycline worked for about the 1st month and then stopped working.

i actually eat fairly healthy, and i do not eat nuts, chips, or bannanas. i do ocasionally have some chocolate, but i highly doubt that is my problem. at this point, i am almost done with my 2nd month of accutane, and i am hoping that this works, but thanks anyway for the suggestions!

day 50

i think that i had broken out so much this past week because my monthly friend just arrived today. so, last night my skin started looking a whole lot better...except i had one bump on my cheek that didn't hurt, and definitely wasn't ready to pop...but i just couldn't help myself. Not only did it not pop, the skin on top of it peeled off, so now it looks horrible! i am so mad at myself, and i am going to try so hard to never pick again.

i could have looked decent again if it weren't for the picking last night. and a note to people on accutane or looking to go on it...don't pick! i know that it's easier said than done, but the skin is so fragile, and it tears so easily, that after picking it looks so much worse.

other than that, the rash on my hand came back. i have been really bad with moisturizing, and with my derm upping my dose next week to 80mg's a day, i better start making a habbit of it.

so far, i have nothing bad to say about accutane. i am still my old self, and it hasn't effected me emotionally. i am very enthusiastic about it, and am just hoping for the best...that's all i can do.

any recomendations for the rash on the back of my hand?

until next time...peace!

when do you usually stop breaking out from accutane... im on my 2nd week and my breakouts are very minimal now.

well...i think that it depends on your dosage and the person. i have been hearing that the 3rd month is when you see the biggest improvements, and i am really hoping so because i am almost done with the 2nd month.

what is your dosage?