Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lois Lane

Dexamethone...awesome results but some concern

Hello!

So I've been an acne sufferer for years but have always managed to keep it under control and keep my skin relatively clear with topical ointments (Duac and Differen gels)...however, last week I got a huge breakout out of nowhere, which included three huge cyst-like zits on my face. I freaked out, naturally, and was even more alarmed because I'm going to a wedding in a week.

I went to see my Dermatologist and he injected my zits with cortisone shots, and told me to take Azithromax in addition to a steroid by the name of Dexamethone...I'm always weary of taking pills for acne (espeically steroids!) but he told me that it wouldn't have any side effects if I'm only taking it for seven days, and told me that my skin would be completely clear for the wedding...

It's only been three days that I'm taking the antibiotics plus .75 mg Dexamethone and it's had amazing results...

My only concern is about the Dexamethone...I looked it up online and it apparently can have some pretty scary side effects...my pharmacist told me it's safe if it's only for seven days. Has anyone taken this for a short amount of time to clear acne for a big event? I want to know if it's safe...as I mentioned before, I've been on it for three days, and already my skin has cleared up greatly. I'm just a little freaked out about the fact that Ive been put on such strong steroids....I only have four more days to go (apparently I can't stop it abruptly even though my skin has cleared, because the withdrawl symptoms would be bad!

Best,

Mandie

Hello!

So I've been an acne sufferer for years but have always managed to keep it under control and keep my skin relatively clear with topical ointments (Duac and Differen gels)...however, last week I got a huge breakout out of nowhere, which included three huge cyst-like zits on my face. I freaked out, naturally, and was even more alarmed because I'm going to a wedding in a week.

I went to see my Dermatologist and he injected my zits with cortisone shots, and told me to take Azithromax in addition to a steroid by the name of Dexamethone...I'm always weary of taking pills for acne (espeically steroids!) but he told me that it wouldn't have any side effects if I'm only taking it for seven days, and told me that my skin would be completely clear for the wedding...

It's only been three days that I'm taking the antibiotics plus .75 mg Dexamethone and it's had amazing results...

My only concern is about the Dexamethone...I looked it up online and it apparently can have some pretty scary side effects...my pharmacist told me it's safe if it's only for seven days. Has anyone taken this for a short amount of time to clear acne for a big event? I want to know if it's safe...as I mentioned before, I've been on it for three days, and already my skin has cleared up greatly. I'm just a little freaked out about the fact that Ive been put on such strong steroids....I only have four more days to go (apparently I can't stop it abruptly even though my skin has cleared, because the withdrawl symptoms would be bad!

Best,

Mandie

Hello!

Best,

Mandie

PS. Okay, so I'm 24 -- I know this message board is for 25 and older, but hey, I'm an adult too. haha.

Hello!

Best,

Mandie

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your body can handle it for 7 days. Just enjoy your clear skin for the wedding and don't worry and trust your doctor. The derm gave my daughter prednisone for 7 days before a major event. It help somewhat but not like you are describing. I have heard of women taking that before their wedding to ensure clear skin.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your body can handle it for 7 days. Just enjoy your clear skin for the wedding and don't worry and trust your doctor. The derm gave my daughter prednisone for 7 days before a major event. It help somewhat but not like you are describing. I have heard of women taking that before their wedding to ensure clear skin.

You will be fine, altho giving such strong drugs for acne is a bit OTT imo. I would of thought the dexamethasone by itself would be enough...

You will be fine, altho giving such strong drugs for acne is a bit OTT imo. I would of thought the dexamethasone by itself would be enough...

Thank you! I really appreciate your response!

My derm did the same thing for me. Seven days is nothing. You'll be fine. I was on steriods for months with no side effects. I'm glad they're working for you.

Merge and Move.

Please post only one topic, I have merged three separate topics on the same thing into one forum and one post.