Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drizzler

Spirulina, Chlorella

Hey all,

Does anyone take either of these two green foods or has taken them in the past and can share some experiences? I have been wanting to make them a part of my daily diet, but not sure the best way to go about doing it. Was thinking maybe adding some to a green smoothie in the morning...

Acne Fighting Supplement Number 1:

Spirulina: Super foods are whole foods that can be taken in supplement form. They have incredible amounts of quality nutrients in them. The name of one such food is Spirulina.

Spirulina is the best supplement to take for clearing your acne. Spirulina is blue-green algae and is one of nature's most nutrient dense foods, containing vitamins, minerals, amino acids (protein building blocks) and is a rich source of antioxidants and iron. Spirulina is the world's most complete and perfect food. Our body absorbs and utilizes food with nutrients in it up to 1000 times more effectively than supplements. This is because our body was designed to absorb nutrients from food and not supplements.

Spirulina also contains an enzyme called Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), which acts as a super antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Spirulina is the number one source of GLA because it is a food that contains the enzymes, vitamins and minerals it needs to be assimilated by the body. The other sources of GLA are borage oil, evening primrose oil and blackcurrant seed oil. Spirulina can be taken in powder form or tablet form. The suggested doze is four times a day in doses of about 4 grams.

Acne Fighting Supplement Number 3:

Chlorella: Chlorella like spirulina is an algae super food. By lightly cleansing and detoxifying the liver, the chlorophyll in chlorella helps keep hormonal inflammation low. The second unique substance in chlorella is its Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF). Like Spirulina, chlorella is a super food, and so does need to be taken in large quantities. For the most effective use of chlorella take it with Spirulina on an empty stomach. Take 10-15 grams a day. It is better to split the total intake into 2-4 doses.

By taking these three supplements -Spirulina, DIMPRO and Chlorella- one can get a plenty of nutrients and can significantly lower his hormonal inflammation, which is exactly what a person need to do to maintain clear acne free skin.

I've been using Spirulina in my smoothies, and have to say that I did notice some improvement. But I lately bought spirulina and chlorella in a 50/50 tablet form because my health store was out of the powdered form. I have been taking the tablets each morning on an empty stomach, and the improvement is FAR more noticeable (even though I have not been very strict with my diet lately eusa_shhh.gif )

chlorella and spirulina are my favorite supplements, though they're technically food! I don't buy any from Japan because of the radiation situation, and China tends to have lax regulations when it comes to quality. Hawaiian spirulina is my favorite, which is made by Cyanotech, and they sell it through Nutrex and Now (Now being much cheaper!). I get my Chlorella from Storable Organics, though they aren't the only one that sells chlorella made in Taiwan, Chlorellafella is another one I like. Basically, you always want to know where it comes from, and any good company will be willing to show you the certificate of analysis. Also, you want to check for contamination, and always ask for the latest COA per batch.

I've been taking it for a month and some, and I've seen improvements in my skin, but I credit that more to diet and lifestyle as a whole rather than just these two supplements. I'm young and don't really have any health problems, but I do feel much more clear headed, and my allergies don't bother me nearly as much. My mom takes them, and it's about the only healthy thing I can get her on board with. It's been doing amazing things for her health, she doesn't get her fibromalgyia pain, no longer takes 4 hour naps, has regular Bms instead of every 3 days, and it seems to help her blood sugar levels to be lower. I also give it to my cat, and she seems like she's a kitten again, even though she's 13. It's good for a ridiculous amount of things. The taste is pretty strong, but nothing you can't get used to in a green smoothie. Make sure to start off slow to see how your body reacts to it, I had a friend who started off at 6 grams of spirulina instead of 1, and he had the runs for a week before he adjusted to it.

http://www.naturalne...ndSpirulina.zip This PDF is short and to the point about the various benefits of spirulina and chlorella. The prices have decreased since it came out, buying spirulina ends up costing about 4-6 cents a gram, and about 8-10 cents a gram for chlorella, depending on if it's powdered or tablets.

Edited by tim12

^ This! smile.png They're by far my favorite "supplements". No matter how healthy you think your diet already is, it will only get better after adding these greens. I've been taking them for many years, without any negative side effects (on the contrary). I get my spirulina from Now (Hawaiian, and relatively cheap), been experimenting with chlorella a lot, have had Korean, Japanese (and Chinese, but that was unintentional). Currently on Taiwanese chlorella (from chlorellafella, thanks Tim! smile.png). In addition to the pdf link that Tim posted, here's another one on spirulina, and a small collection of conclusions from chlorella studies.

spirulina.pdf

Chlorella research.pdf

eta: some more resources:

Spirulina and Chlorella Scientific Studies.pdf

Spirulina Scientific Reference Library.pdf

Spirulina_Abstracts.pdf

Chlorella research.pdf

spirulina.pdf

Spirulina and Chlorella Scientific Studies.pdf

Spirulina Scientific Reference Library.pdf

Spirulina_Abstracts.pdf

http://www.antenna.ch/medias/spirulina-casestudy.pdf

This is an interesting article on Spirulina as a sustainable approach to combat some key aspects of malnutrition. It's interesting that it didn't mention any phytonutrients of spirulina, which are quite amazing in terms of their ability to promote health, as the people have marked health improvements with 1-5 grams.

Nice pdf, Tim! smile.png

I take somewhere between 4 and 10 grams of both spirulina and chlorella (on an empty stomach) a day, it depends. I don't really count the pills, I just grab some and swallow them. There's not really a rule for it. Just start off slowly (2-4 grams a day) and work your way up to a dose you're comfortable with.

I take about 10-15 grams of spirulina mixed with my green smoothie, and 5-10 grams of chlorella in the morning with my probiotic on an empty stomach. Definitely start slow, and make sure to get quality stuff :)

Thank you guys. I think I will order Spirulina from Nutrex (Hawaiian Spirulina) as it should be much better than the stuff from China which is being sold at ebay.

Thank you guys. I think I will order Spirulina from Nutrex (Hawaiian Spirulina) as it should be much better than the stuff from China which is being sold at ebay.

Get the Now brand instead. Exactly the same, but cheaper. Don't buy their organic spirulina though, that's most likely from China.

Definitely go with the Now brand of Hawaiian spirulina, you'll save a lot of cash. If you're adding them in green smoothies, the fruit covers the taste pretty well, and you don't get binders or fillers with the powdered spirulina (though there are brands out there that don't use binders or fillers).

That's a pretty good price! You can find it through many online retailers, as long as the website isn't too shady I'd go with the best price you can find.

wouldn't it be better to get the organic version of it? or it doesn't matter?

You'd think so. However, "organic" spirulina is grown in countries with less strict regulations/certifications, like China and India. I bet that most of it isn't as organic as you'd like. There are manufacturers who do produce good organic spirulina (like Parry, sold by Mountain Rose), but it's more expensive. To me the few benefits don't outweigh the higher price (I think spirulina and chlorella are way too expensive already, guess that's the price we have to pay for clever marketing).

I've been looking into getting a supplement of spirulina and chlorella. I take a vegan protein powder that contains both, but in a small dose, only a gram of each. I work with a girl who had good results with taking spirulina though, she said in only a week it made a big difference but she stopped taking it because of the taste apparently.

That's a shame she stopped taking it because of the taste! I can't even tell the difference anymore with my green smoothies, the fruit covers it completely. They also have tablets and capsules, pretty easy to take.

Taste is only a mental hurdle.. Some people smell foreign foods and say gross. I bet however if they were hurdled into such a culture they would soon delight at the smell of such foods - as the brain would make the connection to said food and nutritional sustenance.

I have looked into both of these. An esthitician my mom spoke to said the only thing that cleared her son's acne was spirulina, but I guess I am confused because I thought it was supposed to contain iodine, which I also thought was bad for your skin. Now that my skin is *somewhat* better (not by any means clear, but better), I am terrified to try anything new to get over that last hurdle that will truly clear my skin!

Is there a benefit to taking both spirulina and chorella together? Meaning, do they act upon/with one another to create even greater results than taking one or the other? Also, is it more effective to take it in the pill form or powder form? I am usually drawn into pill forms because they are just so much easier.

Thanks!

I have looked into both of these. An esthitician my mom spoke to said the only thing that cleared her son's acne was spirulina, but I guess I am confused because I thought it was supposed to contain iodine, which I also thought was bad for your skin. Now that my skin is *somewhat* better (not by any means clear, but better), I am terrified to try anything new to get over that last hurdle that will truly clear my skin!

Is there a benefit to taking both spirulina and chorella together? Meaning, do they act upon/with one another to create even greater results than taking one or the other? Also, is it more effective to take it in the pill form or powder form? I am usually drawn into pill forms because they are just so much easier.

Thanks!

I've actually heard/seen on various websites that taking chlorella while taking spirulina increases the effectiveness. Chlorella seems to be significantly more expensive though (at least it is in Canada). I ordered powder forms of both of these (less expensive than the pills), but am taking spirulina in pill form while I wait for the powders to come in. I don't think there would be any difference in effectiveness, the pills I am taking are literally just hawaiian spirulina powder in a vegetable coating. The dosage is .5 grams per pill (you have to work up gradually, I'm on 2 pills per day currently). As long as you were to get pills with no added ingredients I'm sure it would be about the same effectiveness as the powder.