Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brittbrat4416

Revlon Colorstay Foundation

I've read a lot of posts about how good colorstay is, but I"m not sure if it's right for me. For those who use it does it cover up redness well? Powder foundations seem to make my red bumps look purple :redface: . I also don't want anything that will make my breakout worse. I have little bumps everywhere and a big one on my cheek. Any tips/advice about this would be great. I'm going on accutance soon, which is why I'm thinking I may need to switch to liquid makeup. Once my skin clears I'm going to try to wear nothing, but in the mean time I need a good full coverage foundation that won't make me break out worse. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I've read a lot of posts about how good colorstay is, but I"m not sure if it's right for me. For those who use it does it cover up redness well? Powder foundations seem to make my red bumps look purple :redface: . I also don't want anything that will make my breakout worse. I have little bumps everywhere and a big one on my cheek. Any tips/advice about this would be great. I'm going on accutance soon, which is why I'm thinking I may need to switch to liquid makeup. Once my skin clears I'm going to try to wear nothing, but in the mean time I need a good full coverage foundation that won't make me break out worse. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I have the same problem as you. I personally didn't find Revlon Colorstay very effective in covering spots and red marks. I had to use alot of it and it looked awful on me. Also I found that once it had "set" it was really difficult to apply more to the red areas. Probably like you I have tried so many and I think I have just found the perfect one that I will definitely buy again. Clinique Even Better foundation. This gives fantastic coverage, it's oil free, lasts all day and doesn't look cakey. I use it with the green corrector concealer by Clinique on the reddest areas and they don't show through. I have very dry skin so normal oil free foundations look awful on me but this is really moisturising. It claims to prevent breakouts and over time help with hyperpigmentation marks. It doesn't make me breakout. I haven't been using it long enough for it to help with the marks. It's quite pricey I paid £21- don't know what that is in Dollars but a little goes a long way and lasts quite a while.

Thanks galleychick I definetly might give that one a try. How bad would you say your acne is? My skin tends to be more on the oily side and my acne is pretty severe.

Thanks galleychick I definetly might give that one a try. How bad would you say your acne is? My skin tends to be more on the oily side and my acne is pretty severe.

For the last year it's been moderate to severe, although it seems pretty much under control at the moment with a lot less breakouts- I'm not saying thats because of the make-up though! It has helped alot and I feel more confident wearing it because I know it will stay put. It is designed for oily acne prone skin. I was worried at first it would be really drying for me as my skin is dry but it isn't. I use it with a bit of loose powder- that should keep the oil at bay for you

For the last year it's been moderate to severe, although it seems pretty much under control at the moment with a lot less breakouts- I'm not saying thats because of the make-up though! It has helped alot and I feel more confident wearing it because I know it will stay put. It is designed for oily acne prone skin. I was worried at first it would be really drying for me as my skin is dry but it isn't. I use it with a bit of loose powder- that should keep the oil at bay for you

I never thought of clinique! I will be trying this out thanks for your help. Drugstore makeup is too hard to match so I think it will be easier to go to the clinique counter and have them do all the guess work for me. :dance:

Colorstay never covered a thing when I used it when my spots were bad. Made my skin look orange and dry - yuck!

I use Colorstay, check out my gallery on how well it covers my red marks. It does wonders for me, I have had a lot of practice covering up red marks, because I have never been without them since I was in high school. I have used it for 2-3 years, and right now i'm clear except for comedonal acne and red marks. I have no inflamed pimples, so I know it doesn't make me breakout.

I use Colorstay, check out my gallery on how well it covers my red marks. It does wonders for me, I have had a lot of practice covering up red marks, because I have never been without them since I was in high school. I have used it for 2-3 years, and right now i'm clear except for comedonal acne and red marks. I have no inflamed pimples, so I know it doesn't make me breakout.

Do you find that its hard to take off? I've read a few other posts about how difficult it can be to wash off. You did a great job applying it though!!! My skin is like yours too and I haven't found anything that will cover the red bumps without looking cakey or making my redness look purple. Also does it really last all day?

Do you find that its hard to take off? I've read a few other posts about how difficult it can be to wash off. You did a great job applying it though!!! My skin is like yours too and I haven't found anything that will cover the red bumps without looking cakey or making my redness look purple. Also does it really last all day?

It can be difficult to take off if you don't use the right cleanser. I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil soap, it's $1.60 for a pack of 2.

The price to pay for full coverage foundation is that it's more of a challenge to take off than light or medium coverage. It makes sense, because it's thicker. Using the right cleanser makes all the difference, but there were times when I still had to use a toner to make sure every trace was removed. I don't really have to do that anymore.

Not too fond. I think it has decent coverage - I mean, keep in mind that foundation does have its limits and will not make skin with acne look like skin without acne - but it was too drying on my skin (I used the combo/oily formulation) and way too hard to truly get off. You think it's off, and then you scrub with a towel and realize it's definitely not all off. Also, I think it can look a little cakey if you're trying to cover marks with it. Good for getting an even skin tone, but not what I'm looking for.

I used colorstay for about 3-4 years and while it didn't break me out at all, I found that it never completely covered my blemishes and it was pretty hard to blend (it dries really really fast).

Now I'm using Makeup for ever's HD foundation and I love it. It's a full coverage foundation so it covers all of the redness really well.. it doesn't break me out either. They also have a huge shade selection so you won't have too much trouble finding a good match. The only bad thing is that it's pretty pricey. It's $40 at Sephora, but in my opinion it's worth it and you could always return it if it doesn't work out for you.

Hope this helped.

Check out electric_feel's photos - Colorstay will do a hell of a job of covering up redness if you apply it right. There's another user on here who got a bad IB from Accutane who was able to cover it completely with Estee Lauder's Double Wear, which is the expensive version of Colorstay. If you're very self-conscious go for it, but if your skin is sensitive you may want to reconsider. The makeup may not break you out, but the process of removing it is an enormous pain unless you use something heavy-duty like an oil/oil cleanser. I don't think most cleansers would be effective at removing Colorstay once your skin dries out, as there are no natural oils to help dissolve the makeup as the day wears on. I had Double Wear sitting on my face for three days after I tried it, though my usual cleansing routine gets normal makeup off.

I started wearing as little makeup as I could manage once I went on Accutane for my moderate acne, and I noticed that my skin started healing faster once I cut out concealer completely. I will only conceal when I absolutely have to - for a party, an event, a date, etc. A medium-coverage foundation applied with a stippling brush will help even out your skin and be much easier to take off at the end of the day. Generally your skin will heal faster if it's not clogged up with makeup residue. Neutrogena's wipes take off makeup great, but they broke me out... doesn't seem to be the case for most people who try them, though.

And someone recommend MUFE's HD: I tried this once and found that it was medium coverage at best? It also broke me out the day I used it. Nice texture and packaging, though.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately double wear and the MUFE HD are both a little out of my price range at the moment. To be honest I really hate face makeup but my skin is so terrible right now I feel like I need it. I'm hoping once I start accutane my skin will improve and I won't need it as much. Your right though I think my skin will heal better if I don't put as much makeup on it. I will definetly try to cut back as much as possible. Thanks for the tips!!

Check out electric_feel's photos - Colorstay will do a hell of a job of covering up redness if you apply it right. There's another user on here who got a bad IB from Accutane who was able to cover it completely with Estee Lauder's Double Wear, which is the expensive version of Colorstay. If you're very self-conscious go for it, but if your skin is sensitive you may want to reconsider. The makeup may not break you out, but the process of removing it is an enormous pain unless you use something heavy-duty like an oil/oil cleanser. I don't think most cleansers would be effective at removing Colorstay once your skin dries out, as there are no natural oils to help dissolve the makeup as the day wears on. I had Double Wear sitting on my face for three days after I tried it, though my usual cleansing routine gets normal makeup off.

I started wearing as little makeup as I could manage once I went on Accutane for my moderate acne, and I noticed that my skin started healing faster once I cut out concealer completely. I will only conceal when I absolutely have to - for a party, an event, a date, etc. A medium-coverage foundation applied with a stippling brush will help even out your skin and be much easier to take off at the end of the day. Generally your skin will heal faster if it's not clogged up with makeup residue. Neutrogena's wipes take off makeup great, but they broke me out... doesn't seem to be the case for most people who try them, though.

And someone recommend MUFE's HD: I tried this once and found that it was medium coverage at best? It also broke me out the day I used it. Nice texture and packaging, though.

What makeup are you using now? im on accutane and im hoping my skin will start to clear up soon so im looking for a light foundation to cover redmarks. I want something that goes on smooth and isn't drying (Almost Powder from clinique isn't working on my dry skin even if i moisturizer a ton before hand) Any suggestions? You seemed to have tried alot of products

Just an update.....I decided to try the colorstay after reading good reviews here as well as on makeupalley.com. Its working great so far!!!!! I use concealer under it then powder on top and my skin looks great! Its still bumpy but it definetly hides the redness. It stays on all day too and I don't even have to touch up!!! I wanted to use it for at least a week to see if my skin would break out but so far so good. The only thing is make sure your skin is moisturized before you put it on. Also it can be a little difficult to remove but I use purpose to was my face then after put a little jojoba oil on a cotton ball to get rid of any excess that may be left.

so i bought revlon colorstay and it works wonders for me. i used to use a big make up brand that would cost me like $30 just for foundation, but revlon was only $10so i decided to give it a try and its great! it covers my redness really well, and when i get those big acne pimples, it stills covers them up great! i dont even have to use a concealer with it! the only problem is it's hard to spread, so i usually just use my hands to put it on, then a foundation brush to blend it out. but other than that, its great! oh and its kinda hard to remove too, so when you do take off your make up just make sure you're really getting your make up off well :surprised:

I use it and I LOVE it.

I choose the oily/combination skin version of it and it doesn't seem to make me breakout at all (i'm 99% clear from acne).

Also, since I'm on Benzaclin, my face is extra sensitive and this doesn't make it sting like others do.

And from my experience, this stuff is the only foundation that covers my extreme case of hyperpigmentation. So, the coverage is pretty thick.

Also, I get mine in a few shades lighter than my skin tone because once the foundation oxidizes, it turns a little more dark and a bit more...oranger. But it doesn't look fake on me at all. To be fair, I am Sicilian and my skin is naturally tan and olivey.

I recommend it to anyone with oily and blotchy skin.

Tip: Pore a small amount on a plate, use a cosmetic sponge to apply all over face (and a little on neck to make it look more natural), and set with powder so it doesn't look streaky.

IT'S AWESOME!

I use it and I LOVE it.

I choose the oily/combination skin version of it and it doesn't seem to make me breakout at all (i'm 99% clear from acne).

Also, since I'm on Benzaclin, my face is extra sensitive and this doesn't make it sting like others do.

And from my experience, this stuff is the only foundation that covers my extreme case of hyperpigmentation. So, the coverage is pretty thick.

Also, I get mine in a few shades lighter than my skin tone because once the foundation oxidizes, it turns a little more dark and a bit more...oranger. But it doesn't look fake on me at all. To be fair, I am Sicilian and my skin is naturally tan and olivey.

I recommend it to anyone with oily and blotchy skin.

Tip: Pore a small amount on a plate, use a cosmetic sponge to apply all over face (and a little on neck to make it look more natural), and set with powder so it doesn't look streaky.

IT'S AWESOME!

I second that. I use the oily/combination version of it also. Everything breaks me out, but this doesn't. I was using Dermablend for awhile [to cover my acne scars,] but I found this one to be a LOT better. It lasts just about all day [especially with a primer underneath.] And they have such a great color selection; just about everyone should be able to find a perfect match.

I like to take a cosmetic sponge, push it on the top and turn the bottle quickly upside down. Then do a little part of my face at a time. The stuff dries quickly! Even on the directions it says "quickly blend." lol The make-up doesn't transfer to anything like clothes, pillows, etc. And you can even swim in that stuff and it'll stay (: But it's easily removed with make-up remover and cleanser.

I do need just a shade lighter because it does get a tad darker when it dries. But other than that, it gives medium to full coverage and doesn't look fake! :dance:

I used to use it, a lonnnnnnnnng time ago. But, that was before it terribly broke me out, and I was tired of mixing/messing with the foundation to match my skin. (Their color selection is very limited >_<). Overall, though, it's very good for coverage. I still recommend it though. =)