Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pink_polka234

Does Differin make acne worse before it gets better?

I was prescribed Differin and Adoxa Antibiotic. Anyway, I had a breakout and before I had very few pimples. Coincidence? Does it get worse before it gets better?

It's probably not a coincidence. Although I have never used Differin, I've read on here that it is a lighter form of retinoid, however, being that it is a retinoid, most people may get worse before getting better. Just hang in there for the full ride. I hear that a lot of people give up on retinoids because it takes a couple of months to really see results. It would be a shame for you to go through all the breakouts and give up halfway in, so have confidence in the medication and stick with it. Keep us posted on your progress.

thanks. How long before it clears if at all?

Let's see, I started Differin back in December. At first it made my skin very red, and I do think I broke out a bit. In April, about four and a half months later, I was completely clear. I still had oily skin, enlarged pores, and red marks, though. I lasted completely clear until last week, when I had a breakout. I do think that Differin, combined the Duac (BP) I was using helped a lot, however, because my skin is so oily, it did not work so good. But that's just my experience with it. Just wait it out, it'll go quicker than you think. Oh, and watch out for the sun!

HOLY! That long? My gosh i'm used to the six to eight weeks thing. Man. School starts and then I'm gonna look worse than ever. ;( As long as it works.

yes differin does make you break out at first then your skin gradually gets better. my dermatologist told me it may take up to a year to work fully.

if you read the pamphlet about differin it tells you how it works by bring the plug to the surface so thats why you break out at first.

With me, even old bumps that had gone away weeks ago came back because of the differin but its good because this time they go away completely.