Notifications
Clear all

How come some people just DONT get acne?

MemberMember
(@razorg)

Posted : 07/12/2009 4:48 pm

I don't get how some people who barely shower and can care less about their face don't get acne? I know before I started getting acne, I barely even thought about washing my face. I mean if you produce oil, and theirs bacteria on your face, can't you still get acne from clogged pores? How does this work?

MemberMember
(@dacha)

Posted : 07/12/2009 5:07 pm

I was thinking about this earlier (with great jealousy) and I agree. I look at people my age who have clear, beautiful, healthy looking skin, and I bet that they don't even wash their face once a week, if ever at all. I don't get it either. It just really sucks how someone can not do anything and have clear skin, while we are busting our butts and our wallets to achieve the same thing without great success.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 07/12/2009 5:10 pm

I was thinking about this earlier (with great jealousy) and I agree. I look at people my age who have clear, beautiful, healthy looking skin, and I bet that they don't even wash their face once a week, if ever at all. I don't get it either. It just really sucks how someone can not do anything and have clear skin, while we are busting our butts and our wallets to achieve the same thing without great success.

But how do you know they don't take care of their skin? They could be using treatments as well. I had a friend in high school with enviable skin, and only recently found out that he'd taken Accutane.

I think it's silly to assume that people with nice skin don't have to work for it.

MemberMember
(@razorg)

Posted : 07/12/2009 5:18 pm

But how do you know they don't take care of their skin? They could be using treatments as well. I had a friend in high school with enviable skin, and only recently found out that he'd taken Accutane.

I think it's silly to assume that people with nice skin don't have to work for it.

True, but their are MANY people who don't do anything, and they have clear skin.

MemberMember
(@bunchesofsunflowers)

Posted : 07/12/2009 7:51 pm

True, but their are MANY people who don't do anything, and they have clear skin.

I have a feeling much of this is probably determined by genetics. We who have to work at keeping our skin clear just got the short end of the stick.

MemberMember
(@camcorder)

Posted : 07/12/2009 7:58 pm

Yeah, genetics. D:

MemberMember
(@dacha)

Posted : 07/12/2009 8:29 pm

I know because when I see someone with great looking skin, I compliment them and ask them what they do. In my experience, 90% of the time they say, "Nothing at all."

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 07/12/2009 8:42 pm

I know because when I see someone with great looking skin, I compliment them and ask them what they do. In my experience, 90% of the time they say, "Nothing at all."

People aren't always honest, and as this site shows, a lot of people are self-conscious about their skin. If someone has to treat their skin to keep it clear, they may not be comfortable telling a stranger what kind of treatments they use. It might be awkward for them, and it's easier to just say, "Nothing." than start a conversation about what may already be a touchy subject.

I'm not saying everyone with clear skin is secretly using treatments and whatnot, but keep in mind that not everyone wants to talk about this kind of stuff.

MemberMember
(@max-2)

Posted : 07/12/2009 9:05 pm

People who hardly or never breakout is because their skin type is either Combination skin or best of all Normal skin. Acne is almost always due to Oily skin or Hormone Imbalance.

MemberMember
(@ld70)

Posted : 07/12/2009 9:38 pm

I used to be one those people. I am 39 and I have the dreaded 'adult onset acne'. I was clear and never gave my skin much thought until about 4 years ago. Just because they are clear now doesn't mean they have always been that way or won't get it in the future.

MemberMember
(@razorg)

Posted : 07/12/2009 10:59 pm

Yea, I just don't get how they DON'T get acne though. If their pores are clogged from bacteria, won't a pimple form no matter what?

MemberMember
(@brazzy)

Posted : 07/12/2009 11:02 pm

umm becauseee they are lucky bastards?

actually it is genes, but why focus on that? knowing why other people dont get acne wont change you having it, so just focus on treating your acne and stop worrying about the people that dont suffer with it ;p

MemberMember
(@whale)

Posted : 07/12/2009 11:36 pm

Yea, I just don't get how they DON'T get acne though. If their pores are clogged from bacteria, won't a pimple form no matter what?

I think I read that it is becuase someone's skin is able to 'shed' corrctly and does not produce excess oil. And the person may not have food reactions to what a lot of here do.

MemberMember
(@razorg)

Posted : 07/13/2009 1:38 am

I think I read that it is becuase someone's skin is able to 'shed' corrctly and does not produce excess oil. And the person may not have food reactions to what a lot of here do.

Oooh, that makes sense. Thats close to what I was thinking of too.

MemberMember
(@vicious-lyss)

Posted : 07/13/2009 6:06 am

Think about the statistics of how many people that have acne, lol. We aren't completely alone :P

MemberMember
(@catty)

Posted : 07/13/2009 6:34 am

Yeah, I don't get it. My boyfriend literally never washes his face and he has perfect skin.

MemberMember
(@jondread)

Posted : 07/13/2009 7:53 am

Here's something terribly ironic; I know this guy who has been a drug abuser for the last 4 or so years, constantly smokes weed, cigarettes, does coke, sleeps with tonnes of different women, drinks himself into the ground every day, eats tonnes of absolute crap, yet he has an (not meaning to sound gay or anything) amazing body, and his skin is great, it glows, is tanned, and he just looks amazing, but he consumes so much rubbish.

One time I even saw this guy wash his face with beer when we was camping because someone squirted tomato ketchup allover his head. Next morning, not a single blemish on him :S

Some people I guess are just lucky.... it's really not fair - that's the only way I can look at it.

MemberMember
(@razorg)

Posted : 07/13/2009 9:55 am

Here's something terribly ironic; I know this guy who has been a drug abuser for the last 4 or so years, constantly smokes weed, cigarettes, does coke, sleeps with tonnes of different women, drinks himself into the ground every day, eats tonnes of absolute crap, yet he has an (not meaning to sound gay or anything) amazing body, and his skin is great, it glows, is tanned, and he just looks amazing, but he consumes so much rubbish.

One time I even saw this guy wash his face with beer when we was camping because someone squirted tomato ketchup allover his head. Next morning, not a single blemish on him :S

Some people I guess are just lucky.... it's really not fair - that's the only way I can look at it.

Hahah, I WISH I could live that carefree about my face. Anything that comes in contact with my face terrifies me.

MemberMember
(@bunchesofsunflowers)

Posted : 07/13/2009 10:25 am

Yeah, I don't get it. My boyfriend literally never washes his face and he has perfect skin.

Yep, my husband's skin care routine consists of splashing some water on his face in the shower in the morning, and then just rolling into bed at night. He has perfect skin.

He knows I'm green with envy about it. :P

MemberMember
(@missangie)

Posted : 07/13/2009 2:42 pm

My fiance is one of the ones who does nothing. The only time his face comes close to being washed is by either getting wet in the shower or wet in the pool/ocean. Also, while he has flawless skin, his older brother has severe cystic acne, and his older sister breaks out once in a while. So it just goes to show that even in the same family, some kids get the good genes and some get the bad in regards to acne.

MemberMember
(@lois-lane)

Posted : 07/13/2009 3:06 pm

It's so unfair, I totally agree. I also find it frustrating that my family and friends who do have perfect skin don't seem to understand what I go through...they get irritated with me when I abstain from sweets or if I spend a lot of money on topical ointments, etc...they don't understand the embarrassment of going out in public with inflamed zits, or pimples marring your face. They roll their eyes if I get upset over a breakout and don't want to go to a big event...

Sigh.

MemberMember
(@thommoth)

Posted : 07/16/2009 12:18 pm

The thing that annoys me about acne being genetic is that I am one of five children, neither of my parents have had acne and I am the only child who has ever had acne. My twin brother is one of those people who doesn't care for his skin at all either, it's extremely annoying.

MemberMember
(@p-2)

Posted : 07/16/2009 2:14 pm

Hereditary and everyones skin is different, people w/out acne have no idea how lucky they are

MemberMember
(@boredaf902)

Posted : 03/01/2019 6:08 pm

A lot of people get really bad acne during their life, normally when going through puberty, I myself, have very clear and smooth skin. I am not trying to brag I promise lmao but I do use face scrub and wash my face 1-2 times daily and use face lotion. I try to take care of my skin as well as possible, I do agree that it has to do with genetics slightly, my mother had terrible acne and my sister does also, I how ever have clear skin.