Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use to take a multivitamin, b complex, and other supplements and vitamins. I got really bad cystic acne all over my face after going on birth control. I don't know if it was the vitamins, BC, or soemthing else entirely, but I stopped taking everything, including vitamins and birth control. I'm now only taking Doxycycline and SAM-e. I feel great since stopping birth control and I really like the SAM-e. It's recommended that you take a good B complex with SAM-e and I'd like to take one anyway. I started taking one (made by Wild Harvest - Shaw's Brand) and less than a week later I got several huge, painful nodules on my chin and around my mouth and cheek. My skin was clear before taking the B complex. I've since stopped again and the spots are healing and I haven't broken out otherwise. I feel like it COULD be something else that caused the acne, but looking back I'm fairly certain that whenever I take B vitamins I suffer a massive breakout. Does anyone else have this problem? Here is what's in the B Complex:

Vitamin C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic Acid, B6, B12, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnisium, Chromium, Choline, Inositol, PABA, Passion Flower, Skullcap, Valerian Root.

Can anyone recommend a B Complex that has not aggravated their hormones or otherwise acne-prone skin?

Thanks so much

xo

i've had the exact same thing happen everytime i try either a multi-vitamin (with b) or a b-complex. and once i stop supplementing with b-vitamins my acne very quickly improves.

i don't know which b-vitamin it is exactly that causes acne for me -- b-12 i've read might be it. in any case, it kind of sucks because the other benefits of a b-complex supplement are really nice.

I'm a vegetarian and I also suffer from moderate depression so a B Complex would be good for me; but low and behold, everytime I take a multi or a b complex I get raging nodular acne that takes weeks to start to go away. (i'm even taking doxy, and otherwise my skin is clear).

the good news is I'm taking SAM-e complete for stress/depression and it works really well. better than anything prescription or otherwise i've tried (beyond exercise, diet, meditation)

And NO BREAKOUTS!

stay away from the synthetic b-vitamin supplements. go for brewer's yeast or some other nutritional yeast to get your b-vitamin fix.

The Passion Flower, Skullcap, and Valerian Root might be contraindicated for those taking SAM-e. By the way, what are the "other ingredients" in that Wild Harvest brand?