Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FloresCrow

27 and Frustrated with Neverending Pimples

Well, I'm a 27 year old acne sufferer, and here's my long story....

I've had bad acne since puberty. It was particularly bad during late middle school and most of high school, where it was cystic. I tried the OTC medications that I imagine most teenagers at some point use, but I had no positive results. Because my skin looked so horrible during that time, my parents took me to dermatologists, who prescribed the typical creams...Retin A, Differin (sp?) Gel, there might have been something else too. These products did nothing but increase the damage to my skin. I spent a lot of time as a teenager with awful pimples and a red, sore, peeling face.

Near the end of high school, one dematologist decided it was time for me to try Accutane. This got rid of the cysts, while I was on it. After the first trial, the pimples returned, and I did a second trial. The second trial seemed to get rid of the cysts, mostly. For most of college, I was also using Ortho-tricyclin, which helped my skin. However, I stopped taking this several years ago, as I didn't appreciate the side-effects.

Since then, the pimples have slowly been returning and destroying my face, with the exception of a brief period when I got desperate and asked for a prescription of antibiotics. (The antibiotics did help, but I'm not sure long-term use is a good idea.)

Since I stopped with the antibiotics, I've simply tried going the healthy living route. I'm vegetarian, I go for organic and whole foods as much as possible, I drink lots of water, and I get excercise. I was also using gentle, basic face cleansers. The pimples just kept coming, so about two months ago I started using some sulfer-based soap and face gel. They were something I hadn't tried yet, so I figured it would be worth a shot. The gel is Nelson's brand, but I can't remember the brand of soap at the moment (it's a bar and has 5% sulfer...I think I remember part of the name on the package being "Akne"). I believe the gel makes the pimples heal faster, but that's about it. They just keep coming.

For the last 7 or 8 months I've been consistantly getting bad breakouts along my jawline, and more recently the pimples have been attacking my chin, neck, and throat, and occassionally my cheeks. I'm sick and tired of this. My skin hurts and looks horrible.

Over the years I've gotten suspicious of the creams and gels available for acne treatment. For me, I've either spent a lot of money for nothing, or the product makes everything worse (and with anything containing benzoyle peroxide, I've had the bonus experience of the product damaging my clothes and bed linens, no matter how careful I am with it). I'm considering a return trip to a dermatologist if I can save up some cash, maybe trying a different kind of birth control, but I'm starting to lose hope.

I am kind of stressed out, and the pimples get worse when I'm stressed, but I still break out when I'm calm and happy.

But that's about it. It feels good to vent, and if there's any advice out there, I would appreciate it.

how's your digestion? Do you get at least one bowel movement a day? Taking antibiotics kill off a bunch of your good bacteria, allowing the bad bacteria to easily take over. I think this happened to me because I took 3 courses of antibiotics for acne in a course of 2 years. After I stopped taking it the pimples slowly came back. Bad bacteria/Candida can mess with your digestion and cause a whole range of problems, leading to acne.

through my experience dermatologists don't know crap about curing acne. My derm even told me that they probably know about 10% of how the skin works. She told me there is sooo much that they still don't know, and that there is much more researching to be done. All they prescribe are creams, antibiotics, and accutane. The creams may help, but it won't solve your problem.

If you nail your problem you nail acne. The hard part is finding out what that problem is. For me, I believe I have Candida due to all the symptoms I have. Now I'm taking action against it and I'm slowly starting to see results.

Adult acne is largely related to digestion problems and hormone imbalances. Do you have a problem that relates to any of these?

Ill say this right off the bat, you made a big mistake taking those antibiotics. Antibiotics does clear up acne, but it comes back worse than before because the bacteria just multiplies. Not only that, but those antibiotics also killed the good bacteria in your body and digestive tract. I suggest you look around the forums for diets and supplements to treat Leaky Gut, and try to restore your digestive system.

Ill say this right off the bat, you made a big mistake taking those antibiotics. Antibiotics does clear up acne, but it comes back worse than before because the bacteria just multiplies. Not only that, but those antibiotics also killed the good bacteria in your body and digestive tract. I suggest you look around the forums for diets and supplements to treat Leaky Gut, and try to restore your digestive system.

Thanks for the advice. Concerning the antibiotics, that actually was one of the many things that the Derm had prescribed over the years I went to her. I've tried so many things it's hard to remember them all. (Also tried a special acne diet at one point...horrible and didn't work!) They seemed to work while I was on them, and then the prescription ran out. I went for a while without them, and then the pimples came back. So of course I looked back fondly to the days when I was taking the cheap, effective antibiotics and called the Derm back, desperate. Not the smartest thing to do, and now I wish I hadn't. I'm pretty sure hormones are one part of the problem, but I'll investigate the candida thing too. And I probably won't bother going back to the Dermatologist.

Thanks for the advice. Concerning the antibiotics, that actually was one of the many things that the Derm had prescribed over the years I went to her. I've tried so many things it's hard to remember them all. (Also tried a special acne diet at one point...horrible and didn't work!) They seemed to work while I was on them, and then the prescription ran out. I went for a while without them, and then the pimples came back. So of course I looked back fondly to the days when I was taking the cheap, effective antibiotics and called the Derm back, desperate. Not the smartest thing to do, and now I wish I hadn't. I'm pretty sure hormones are one part of the problem, but I'll investigate the candida thing too. And I probably won't bother going back to the Dermatologist.

Hi there

Check out the hormonal board on this site. You may benefit for a different BCP - Yasmin or Diannette (Diane 35) are effective for hormonal acne. Or you could consider spironolactone - but would need to see a dermatologist to get this.

Good luck

dizzyblonde

Nothing any derm ever prescibed helped me either. And saw 5 or 6 for nearly 15 years.

Consider if you have food intolerances. My cystic acne in those same areas turned out to be a reaction to citrus. More common causes are gluten and dairy, peanuts, true nuts, soy, eggs... Maybe you began eating more of something you have an intolerance for.