Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For those taking Fish Oil/Cod Liver Oil

Has anyone's acne been aggravated by fish oil or cod liver oil? My current diet and acne regimen has gotten me nearly 95% clear for the past 6 months. About 5 days ago I started taking Carlsson's brand Cod Liver Oil and now my acne is considerably worse and I've developed cystic acne that I haven't seen in long time. I'm really upset that the liver oil is upsetting my face since I do like its other effects like slight mood elevation and energy. Has anyone had a similar experience? Do you guys think if I switch to normal fish oil that it would make a difference?

I had an IB when I started fish oil - it cleared and my skin was much better than before after maybe 3 weeks. What I ended up eventually doing though was cutting out the vast majority of plant oils in my diet, and eating more fatty fish - this gave me no IB, skin just got better.

Carlson's Salmon Fish Oil broke me out as well. GNCs triple fish oil broke me out like no other. But, I don't think Nordic Fish Oil broke me out at all.

I quit taking fish oils almost two weeks ago, and have new cysts.

we are plant eaters i think, if it doesnt contain fiber im not sure it was meant for the human body, this is my suspicion though.

if you smell fish oil or taste it your body will tell you what is right.

as embarresed as i am to admit this there is a possiblity that i developed a tumor partly due to my fish oil intake during the past 2 years, but its a toss up between that and antibiotics usage along with too much meat and not enough fiber.

consuming oxidants is the worst thing you could do, fresh plants is the way to go, they contain the most antioxidants, which is what we should be eating. dieing flesh foods do not agree with what is supposed to sustain human life, to the highest degree.

we are plant eaters i think, if it doesnt contain fiber im not sure it was meant for the human body, this is my suspicion though.

as embarresed as i am to admit this there is a possiblity that i developed a tumor partly due to my fish oil intake during the past 2 years, but its a toss up between that and antibiotics usage along with too much meat and not enough fiber.

consuming oxidants is the worst thing you could do, fresh plants is the way to go, they contain the most antioxidants, which is what we should be eating. dieing flesh foods do not agree with what is supposed to sustain human life, to the highest degree.

A tumor?? You say that so nonchalantly... Could you please elaborate? Did you actually have a medically diagnosed tumor related to fish oil?

WHAT?!?!

Please elaborate...

Definitely gave/gives me breakouts. Found out I was allergic to fish. Even a teeny tiny vitamin D pill derived from fish makes me breakout.

Gave me the worst cystic acne ever. Fish oil/ cod liver oil. I have tried all the brands, Carlson, Nordic Naturals, Norwegian Fish oil, you name it. I have tried both liquid and capsules. The result is always the same. Brands do matter, but in an insignificant way: some brands cause me to break out in a course of a week, others in a matter of hours.

At first the oil moisturizes your skin. Things feel like they are improving, and you feel like you found the cure. Then the oil starts to clog your pores, resulting in cystic inflamed acne. I have experimented this countless times. It doesn't matter if you have dry, matte skin to begin with and you're looking for moisture. Because the oil clogs from within.

Stubborn insistence on taking the advice of experts, people on this board--worst thing ever. Address your individuality. If it doesn't work, stop trying it, follow your intuition.

I eat fish like salmon fine. Consider this: salmon is packed with the strongest antioxidants known to man. Of course the oil won't oxidize as easily. Fish oil is usually rancid, no matter if its refrigerated or open to the sun.

So the problem is not fish, or polyunsaturated fats. Fish is good for you. Japanese people eat the most fish in the world and they are not suffering an acne epidemic. It's the use of supplements of rancid oils that poses a problem for acne sufferers. Walnuts give me acne all the time, also. Reason: rancidity. Seeds in general give me comedones. Reason: rancidity. The body doesn't like things that aren't fresh. So my suggestion is this:

Don't eat anything that your instincts tell you to reject. No one would consider ingesting that nasty glop of fish oil, but a scrumptuous piece of sashimi? Yes.

I hate fish oil. Perhaps it's the reason I'm on accutane now.

yes cod liver oil or fish oil can cause acne, i have read about other ppl who notice breakouts from it

take it out for awhile then reintroduce it as a test, i suspect it has a cause for some of my acne

get vitamin A from beef or calf liver sweet potatoes carrots and vitamin d3 from sun and d3 supplements and eat fish to get the other benefits that are concentrated in fish oils

ive read the omega 3 oils in fish oils may not be beneficial for all ppl and can cause acne

you could be allergic to it or the cod liver oil could be rancid

you could try a more potent type like green pastures fermented cod liver oil-serving size 1/4 tsp they have a low peroxide value

make sure you get one that's nitrogen flushed and has an antioxidant

if it was sitting in the sun, not refrigerated, or shipped in summer-hot weather then its even more likely to be rancid

A tumor?? You say that so nonchalantly... Could you please elaborate? Did you actually have a medically diagnosed tumor related to fish oil?

oh yea, medically diagnosed, very real indeed, is it related to fish oil, who will ever know, related to antibiotics?? lack of fiber from avoiding grains?? high red meat diet?? this is also a candidate for possible cause perhaps a combo of each. ive identified and removed every possible cause and inserted every possible resolution. the tumor is non cancerous as thus far so im somewhat in a decent position.

There is definitly some benefit to fish oil dha and epa being preformed for drug like effects, but as far as i know the body makes it naturally from the fat that is in the diet anyway, i would like to challenge the claim that our diets are severely lacking in it, it seems more resonale that we just get too many omega 6 fats, that is all i can say from my own observations, if you want to correct the balance dont eat manufactured foods infused with fat for flavor and do not eat meat at all, beans are the perfect replacment, they are high protein, low fat very well meant for human consumption, and the fat that is in beans is at the supposed perfect ratio so little fuss with eating beans and it contains fiber whcih works in harmony with human anatomy to maintain the flora in the colon and health of the digestive tract which sustains our life.

i've been taking fish oil (1.8g/day) for a while now, I don't think it makes my acne worse (or really any better) but I think it may be making my skin too oily, so I may have to cut it down to 600 mg a day, or stop taking them at all.

I seem to do okay on fish oil. flaxseed oil is poison to my body, so i'm sticking with fish oil. i tried krill oil before. didn't notice any change - good or bad - to my skin. maybe those who have issues with fish oil should consider giving krill oil a try. it's more expensive, but apparently it doesn't have as much of the rancidity issue that you'd find with fish oil.

fish oil alone made no noticable change in my skin, but the overall affect of a healthier lifestyle has helped over the past year, and fish oil is part of it. I use to imagine that everything was breaking me out, when it turned out to be jsut coincedence. I say give it a week or two, maybe there is another reason you are breaking out.

fish oil alone made no noticable change in my skin, but the overall affect of a healthier lifestyle has helped over the past year, and fish oil is part of it. I use to imagine that everything was breaking me out, when it turned out to be jsut coincedence. I say give it a week or two, maybe there is another reason you are breaking out.

If you dont know anything about science or biology, trying to figure out what is breaking you out with no knowledge of anything is pretty tough and dangerous, its easy to start believing that everything is breaking you out and giving yourself a severe eating disorder.

acne has made me do some crazy things and brought me very close to suicide many many times.

I do regret my previous tinkering with my diet without any real skills in critical thinking and science, we ourselves are biased and the corporations such as clearasil and whatever know that we dont know crap about crap and will believe in their products which have limited effectiveness, as well as doctors prescribing bullshit antibiotics for acne, if they had any real understanding of human anatomy and the flora in the digestive tract it becomes unethical to make promises that they make, antibiotics are pure poison for your body.

The reality of healthcare and medicine is that they arent understanding these diseases very well to the point where they can be eliminated.

doctors want cool jobs, thats it and they most certainly are not trained very well in science.

Now that's a pretty glib statement. Doctors may not know their nutrition, but they certainly have a better foundation in the basic sciences than 99% of the people on this board. Reading at few pubmed and wikipedia articles--what most of us acne.org users do--hardly constitutes a good science background. Besides, a solid foundation in today's nutrition is completely subjective: just what is considered good science in the nutrition these days? Nutrition is a relatively new field and experts never agree on absolutely anything. Each guru thinks they hold the candle of truth; no one admits that they don't know, or that they need to read the literature more, or that more research is needed.

What's more, I don't think you need a solid foundation in the sciences to live and eat well, nor critical thinking skills, for that matter. We simply need a little common sense. We have done well without nutritional science for thousands of years; we have lived and prospered, without the horrible chronic diseases that plague us today. Michael Pollan said that we should to look to cultural wisdoms and traditions to find proper eating habits. I agree. We have always relied on common sense, and so it should be with our generation.

If you dont know anything about science or biology, trying to figure out what is breaking you out with no knowledge of anything is pretty tough and dangerous, its easy to start believing that everything is breaking you out and giving yourself a severe eating disorder.

acne has made me do some crazy things and brought me very close to suicide many many times.

I do regret my previous tinkering with my diet without any real skills in critical thinking and science, we ourselves are biased and the corporations such as clearasil and whatever know that we dont know crap about crap and will believe in their products which have limited effectiveness, as well as doctors prescribing bullshit antibiotics for acne, if they had any real understanding of human anatomy and the flora in the digestive tract it becomes unethical to make promises that they make, antibiotics are pure poison for your body.

The reality of healthcare and medicine is that they arent understanding these diseases very well to the point where they can be eliminated.

doctors want cool jobs, thats it and they most certainly are not trained very well in science.

Now that's a pretty glib statement. Doctors may not know their nutrition, but they certainly have a better foundation in the basic sciences than 99% of the people on this board. Reading at few pubmed and wikipedia articles--what most of us acne.org users do--hardly constitutes a good science background. Besides, a solid foundation in today's nutrition is completely subjective: just what is considered good science in the nutrition these days? Nutrition is a relatively new field and experts never agree on absolutely anything. Each guru thinks they hold the candle of truth; no one admits that they don't know, or that they need to read the literature more, or that more research is needed.

What's more, I don't think you need a solid foundation in the sciences to live and eat well, nor critical thinking skills, for that matter. We simply need a little common sense. We have done well without nutritional science for thousands of years; we have lived and prospered, without the horrible chronic diseases that plague us today. Michael Pollan said that we should to look to cultural wisdoms and traditions to find proper eating habits. I agree. We have always relied on common sense, and so it should be with our generation.

let me clarify the definition of critical thinking skills- understand how knowledge itself is derived and that there are claims everywhere for everything, last thing you want to do is either act on false information, or censor yourself from possibly reliable information.

As for claims, this site is chock full of hodge podge claims, some of which may very well be factual though, although not scientifically validated yet, and the majority of claims a result of poor methodology to verify any supposed discoveries, typically just coincidental events and associations and a big display of errors in reasoning. But ive been all over that road myself, which has led me to the very path of understanding how knowledge is derived after going to doctors with no answers or bad answers and little to say about what the ultimate causes of health are, but they know a shit ton about defining disease, im done with all that, how can i define health and the ultimate maintenance of this human machine, i believe once i define that and follow those guidlines with a religous attitude, then there is not much that will go wrong from here on out, or i mean the probability will be greatly reduced of me getting ill, and i will experiance feeling the best i can.

Ive really gone way beyond the specifics of acne, to seeing the body as one system and developing my own opinions on everything to avoid ever being brainwashed by anyone ever. Except being brainwashed directly by well performed scientific studies and the real reality!! and even considering as possibly true any testimony along the way. Why ask someone "how it is" when the real reality is right there for you to examine for yourself, you will make less perceptual errors this way, pure unhampered knowledge through direct observation.

i've heard that omega 6 is inflammatory from some other post. and i've had these three cyst that wont go away for almost 3 weeks now, i thought it was the bp that was slowing the progress but now i'm thinking that it might be the fish oil. i've been taking this supp. that contain both omega 3-6-9(flex,fish &borage) all in one, and have notice that my face is extremely oily in the morning when i wake up. i've stopped for two days now and one of them has finally surface. two to go. will be back for more update on the fish oil

I've been using the search function and reading lots of different things today, part of the pinned fish oil thread and some other thread where it was mentioned that cod liver oil could have a negative effect on acne and cause hair loss.

Well....I started supplementing with zinc, Vit B complex and Cod Liver Oil the other week and I came on here to ask...could zinc cause hair loss...because I suddenly noticed that I had a small spot of alopecia at the side of one temple, altering my natural hairline.

But now I'm wondering...was it the CLO? I also had a hideous breakout last week, but really, it's hard to know what is coincidence.

However, when I just happened to read that about cod liver sometimes causing hair loss, I thought A-Ha!

So I'll be giving the rest of the bottle to the dogs...they won't mind if they get some baldy bits!