Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Contained

Roche Discontinues and Plans to Delist Accutane in the U.S

So I just saw this insert on wikipedia today about Roche discontinuing Accutane. Here is the link

Roche Discontinues and Plans to Delist Accutane in the U.S

Important to note that their market share is less than 5%, meaning that the cheaper generic brands have taken over.

The article is interesting in that Roche attempts to defend itself by saying ".....[accutane] is not being taken [out] for reasons of safety or efficacy." But then later states, " Roche has been faced with high costs from personal-injury lawsuits that the company continues to defend vigorously."

I'm not trying to suggest to not take accutane (I am on it right now), but merely pointing out relevant information relating to the drug.

We had a thread going about this about a week ago which had to be closed after it devolved into (yet another) debate about Accutane.

So, for the record:

1. Roche has pulled Accutane from the market; it was not banned.
  2. The generics will still be available.
  3. This thread is not a debate about Accutane--if you want to debate Accutane, do it in the Accutane Debate thread.

Hoffman-LaRoche, the largest manufacturer of cancer medications, issued a recall for Accutane, an oral medication intended to treat severe acne. Accutane has been widely linked to several adverse side effects since its release in 1984, including psychological changes, suicidal behavior, auto-immune disease, central nervous system problems and birth defects.

In June 2009, Roche announced a recall of the medication after a court decision awarded more than $33 million in damages to victims of Accutane injury. Prior to the June 2009 court order, Roche was required to pay damages in several other cases, including $13 million in November 2008, $10.5 million in April 2007, $2.62 million in May 2007 and $7 million in October 2007.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

:( This sucks. I am seriously SO pissed off. America needs to get over it and stop suing people. You KNOW the risks, don't take the drug if you aren't willing to take those risks.

IT'S SIMPLE. :mad:

I'm conflicted on this bc I was immeasurably helped by accutane however I feel like more and more people were risking their health and taking it as a first resort rather than a last one and using it in small doses to treat moderate to light acne and then persisting in living as if they weren't on a serious drug (I'm looking at you alcohol drinkers while on accutane). I think we won't know the full spectrum of effects of accutane until 10-20 years from now and that there is a very real possibilty of vry serious repurcussions. I do feel really bad for those who really could only have treated their severe acne with something as powerful as this drug, a group of which I feel I was a part of... Here is to hoping that something as or more effective is developed that is safer to use... RIP accutane a powerful friend and perhaps a most dangerous foe... I guess I should get my iPledge card framed it's a collectors item now right :P

Roche is continuing to produce isotretinoin in other countries except for the U.S. The U.S. market has 3 other generic brands that so far will continue to be made (Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret). Despite being the original, I believe Roche actually had the smallest market share in the U.S. and it wasn't worth it for them...especially if they get burned by any further multimillion dollar law suits.

Pathetic news and horrible for those people who desperately need it but now will no longer be able to get it. I do hope the Derma's will prescribe the generics for them though.

As for me I could not care less as I already got my supply from somewhere online. :dance:

And for thousands of dollars less than I wouldv'e had to pay at the Derm. for a 6 month course.

Not interested in anyone's doomsday nonsense and judgements on buying the accutane online, so please save them for yourself while you continue to live with your acne and more scars to come.... thanks kindly. :)