Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heyaawhatsupp

Can you eventually get an allergic reaction to BP

I have been using Duac since December 2008.

However, recently I broke out SO BAD.

I am wondering if I have developed an allergic reaction to this?

My acne feel very itchy, and it is clusters of very tiny comedones.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated, thank you!

From the Acne.org FAQs:

Q: My skin looks absolutely terrible. It is peeling off, red, and I am miserable. What do I do?

A: You are either allergic to benzoyl peroxide, or you started too fast. 1-3% of people are allergic to benzoyl peroxide and experience swelling and/or crusting. If your skin swells up, discontinue use immediately. Most likely if you are experiencing severe dryness/redness, you simply started too fast. It takes a few days to a few weeks for your skin to become acquainted with benzoyl peroxide, and the redness/dryness should subside with time. Using a non-overdrying liquid cleanser can help preven this dryness as well. If you really can't stand the dryness, stop the Regimen completely, give your skin a few days to recover, and begin again with a much smaller dosage, only ramping up the dosage as you feel comfortable. But remember, you eventually need to use A LOT of benzoyl peroxide to achieve total clearing.

Thank you! I am pretty sure this is just a random breakout.

I lost the Duac that I bought back in December and have been using one from about a year ago, which expires in September 2009.

Is it possible that the Duac I am currently using to not be as strong, for it is close to it's expiration?

Medications are generally good up until their expiration date, although some do weaken once they're expired (some can do crazy things once they expire, though, so never use expired medications).

Maybe you should talk to your derm about what's going on. They might be able to figure out why you're suddenly breaking out.

Yes, I am scheduling an appointment asap:)

I went from having completely clear skin since April to completely broken out skin this past week.

I am pretty sure the fact that my diet that had been perfect has been filled with pizza, pasta, and coffee:/.

But anyways, thank you!

Well, while you're waiting for your appointment, you might try "correcting" your diet and see if that helps at all.

Good luck. I hope this gets cleared up, so to speak, quickly. ; )