Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last year I was on Differin and my skin was pretty much clear. Throughout that whole time I kept eating plenty of dairy. My question is...does that mean my acne isn't related to dairy or was the Differin just preventing the acne I would have gotten from the dairy? In other words, does Differin or any other retinoid have the ability to stop dairy related outbreaks?

We can't tell you if you have an intolerance to dairy or how/how much dairy contributes to your acne.

But dairy contains the hormone IGF-1 which causes hyperkeratinization which is the real root of clogged pores. Regardless of whether you can directly notice a breakout as a result of dairy, you should limit it.

Yeah, I realize it's kind of a hard thing to answer, but I guess I was just wondering if the reason I could eat so much dairy last year and not break out was because I was using Differin or because dairy just isn't a problem for me.

I've since stopped the Differin and right now I'm on a diet with no dairy and little to no sugar. I haven't broken out in a couple of weeks now. I'm also taking some supplements and doing some other diet things though so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what is keeping me clear. I guess I could try eating some dairy and see if it makes me break out, but I don't want to take that chance since I'm seeing results without it.

So, theoretically - If dairy made you breakout, would a retinoid have the ability to prevent that?