Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phillipa Chicken

Could I be growing out of it?

I've had regular, manageable acne (always had at least 1 zit on my face at one time, but never nodules) since I started puberty. When I turned 18 I started getting nodules, about 4-6 at any given time. I figure this is hormonal acne because they pop up mostly right before my cycle. I've been taking antibiotics (bactrim) for a year now. It was working well enough, but not perfectly. The nodules would still pop up and stay a long time, just not as often or as many. However, I'm almost 20 and still taking the antibiotics (but only take 1 a day now instead of 2) and my skin looks better than ever. The only time I get a nodule is PMS week (1-2 nodules), and they last only a few days rather than 2+ months. I had always heard female adult hormonal acne would plague a woman for life, but could I perhaps be growing out of it? Or are the antibiotics kicking in a year later? No female in my family has had adult acne, let alone nodulocystic..but my father had them in his early twenties. What do you guys think? Antibiotics or growing out?

also, has anyone else had hair thinning beginning when they started their antibiotics? I heard something about bacterial biotin production but I'm not sure. Thanks!

I've had regular, manageable acne (always had at least 1 zit on my face at one time, but never nodules) since I started puberty. When I turned 18 I started getting nodules, about 4-6 at any given time. I figure this is hormonal acne because they pop up mostly right before my cycle. I've been taking antibiotics (bactrim) for a year now. It was working well enough, but not perfectly. The nodules would still pop up and stay a long time, just not as often or as many. However, I'm almost 20 and still taking the antibiotics (but only take 1 a day now instead of 2) and my skin looks better than ever. The only time I get a nodule is PMS week (1-2 nodules), and they last only a few days rather than 2+ months. I had always heard female adult hormonal acne would plague a woman for life, but could I perhaps be growing out of it? Or are the antibiotics kicking in a year later? No female in my family has had adult acne, let alone nodulocystic..but my father had them in his early twenties. What do you guys think? Antibiotics or growing out?

also, has anyone else had hair thinning beginning when they started their antibiotics? I heard something about bacterial biotin production but I'm not sure. Thanks!

I think your just growing out of it to be honest, you can always tell the teenage hormonal induced acne because the sufferer has never previously suffered acne before and started getting it sometime when they noticed pubic hair, growing etc, Like me.

Adult acne usually strikes people in their 20's, just be glad you did'nt get adult acne and instead you got teenage acne, because yours will eventually go away. Remeber everybody still get's spots now and again, it's normal and apart of life.