Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Jay

BP Addiction

Hey guys,

I don't really know where to put this so any mods feel free to move this to the correct place.

Anyway, I've been using a product called Quinoderm 5% BP for about 4-5 years now and it's totally calmed my skin down. Almost at random however I've noticed that it's become less effective seemingly overnight despite me not changing how I apply it. I've been breaking out really badly for the past few months and I'm at a loss as to what is causing it.

My current regime:

Morning:

Wash face with warm water

Apply BP

Apply Eucerin

Evening:

Wash face with Clarins for Men Active Wash

Apply BP

Apply Eucerin

It's pretty much been my regime for the past 4 years. Anyone have any ideas why I'm suddenly breaking out? Is it down to my skin building up a resistance to BP?

I was thinking a resistance to BP when I read your post, but I'm not entirely sure.

I hope it's nothing too serious.

i think its bp resistance

or maybe your skin has changed/ got worse

maybe go and see a dermatologist

i think bp is the best topical around and the initial breakout on the others is pretty gross tbh but a prescription of antibiotics might help? and another topical might work really well lazer light treatment might too..

i reckon if bps not working anymore change what your doing

has your diet changed or you been particularily stressed stress really really does it for me

i also recommend taking a zinc supplement everyday very very highly so that might add another dimension to your treatment that would bring your skin back under control.

other advice i can give you is to check your shampoo/ conditioner toothpaste CLEANSER and MOISTERISER for ingredients theres a list up here somewhere to look at

Hey guys I appreciate the response. Should I increase the strength of my BP to 10%? I'm currently taking 5%.

i also recommend taking a zinc supplement everyday very very highly so that might add another dimension to your treatment that would bring your skin back under control.

i don't think that increasing the strength will help much personally try it if you feel like it though... i reckon that changing your topical would be more effective

zinc...

ok so last year i took a zinc supplement everyday for two months last year and my skin cleared up drastically (people commented that my skin had cleared up ALOT and i thought i was growing out of acne) i then stopped because i hadn't been taking the supplement for my skin but for another reason and my skin started getting worse again however at that point i didn't identify a link between the two.

i read on here that taking a high dose of zinc ( higher than the recommended daily allowance had a very big effect on peoples acne and tried that out in september last year and i did that for two months and the results were quite astonishing i had virtually no acne however it isn't very healthy to take that much zinc as it inhibits iron absorption and as i get aneamic easily stopped taking it.

If you want to do this then my advice is to eat a good meal before taking it and by that i mean a big greasy proper meal otherwise you can feel quite sick. part of the reason i stopped taking it

taking this much zinc you notice your skin actually dries up and any breakout you do have is noticably healed very quickly (within a day)

there lots of info on zinc on the web and this site so check it out

for the past month and a bit i have been taking a lower dossage of zinc and i can not comment on its effectivity because i started taking this at the same time as a course of antibiotics and it was the same day my exams ended and stress has a massive effect for me. but i can say that since that day my skin has improved is not completely under control but i feel comfortable wearing make up whereas before makeup did not cover my acne and i am far less self concious and my acne doesn't upset me anymore (its still a bit irritating though) but i haven't come on this site for about 2 weeks and today had a specific purpose for coming on whereas before this i was coming on everyday

zinc does work at high doses will have a massive effect and a supplement will noticably control it.

it is cheap too

From the Acne.org FAQs:

Q: Will my skin become resistant to the beneficial effect of BP?

A: Propionibacterium Acnes (P. Acnes), the bacteria in acne lesions, can not survive in the presence of oxygen. BP creates oxygen. Therefore, it is physically impossible for this bacteria to develop a resistance. If the Regimen works at first, it should always work.

i don't think that increasing the strength will help much personally try it if you feel like it though... i reckon that changing your topical would be more effective

zinc...

ok so last year i took a zinc supplement everyday for two months last year and my skin cleared up drastically (people commented that my skin had cleared up ALOT and i thought i was growing out of acne) i then stopped because i hadn't been taking the supplement for my skin but for another reason and my skin started getting worse again however at that point i didn't identify a link between the two.

i read on here that taking a high dose of zinc ( higher than the recommended daily allowance had a very big effect on peoples acne and tried that out in september last year and i did that for two months and the results were quite astonishing i had virtually no acne however it isn't very healthy to take that much zinc as it inhibits iron absorption and as i get aneamic easily stopped taking it.

If you want to do this then my advice is to eat a good meal before taking it and by that i mean a big greasy proper meal otherwise you can feel quite sick. part of the reason i stopped taking it

taking this much zinc you notice your skin actually dries up and any breakout you do have is noticably healed very quickly (within a day)

there lots of info on zinc on the web and this site so check it out

for the past month and a bit i have been taking a lower dossage of zinc and i can not comment on its effectivity because i started taking this at the same time as a course of antibiotics and it was the same day my exams ended and stress has a massive effect for me. but i can say that since that day my skin has improved is not completely under control but i feel comfortable wearing make up whereas before makeup did not cover my acne and i am far less self concious and my acne doesn't upset me anymore (its still a bit irritating though) but i haven't come on this site for about 2 weeks and today had a specific purpose for coming on whereas before this i was coming on everyday

zinc does work at high doses will have a massive effect and a supplement will noticably control it.

it is cheap too

Thanks for the info. :)

I've just ordered a zinc supplement so will see how it goes.

c'est la vigne... hmm, I thought I read something in the past about BP not being resistant to skin but thought I must of been mistaken considering the consistent level of breakouts I've had recently. Noting has changed in my life that I can think of. I still eat the same, sleep the same hours and even drink more water than I used to. It's hard to pinpoint what has gone wrong.

Perhaps it could be the weather though? It's been hotter than usual over here the past few weeks.

c'est la vigne... hmm, I thought I read something in the past about BP not being resistant to skin but thought I must of been mistaken considering the consistent level of breakouts I've had recently. Noting has changed in my life that I can think of. I still eat the same, sleep the same hours and even drink more water than I used to. It's hard to pinpoint what has gone wrong.

Perhaps it could be the weather though? It's been hotter than usual over here the past few weeks.

Changes in weather can bring on breakouts in some people, particularly if it's hot and/or humid.

I actually started taking ZINC 3 days ago 100mg a day is that good enough?

How long will it take to see some results? I feel like one side of my face is slowly going down in color and acne. hmmm

Hi sheek,

The Zinc I ordered has a recommended dose of 1 pill per day and they're only 15mg. I don't know if it's wise taking 100mg a day unless you've been told to.

Been taking them for 2 days and I've noticed that im going the toilet a lot more, like 3 times a day. Don't know if it's a side effect or it's a sign that they're working. :think:

I think your skin has built resistance to the acne cream. Maybe you should switch to another one for a little while and then try to come back to BP.

no such thing.... i would go back and evaluate all the details surrounding your regimen. Play Columbo and try to figure out what if anything has been different than usual, sometimes it is something as subtle as change of weather that can set off a series of events that lead to a breakout. For example, if it has become hotter and more humid, than your treatment is probably taking longer to dry or may remain relatively sticky. You may be sweating which, when the sweat drips down, may be carrying treatment away from your face. I would also consider whether it's time to up the amount of bp your're using.

Good Luck!

your skin might be building resistance, try something a little stronger to see if it helps, I had to do that because my skin was used to it and need something more