Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryangp

Will I be prescribed?

Hey i'm 14 and i was wondering if you think i'd get prescribed accutane at 14 and i got bad acne (which is getting worse). and have you got any tips to get it, please reply

Thank you, Ryan

My tips are #1. Try a few other things first and #2. Call and ask the derm's office ahead of time if he is willing to prescribe accutane. Some doctors aren't registered with iPLEDGE or they just aren't willing to prescribe it, no need to waste your time with them.

When I saw my derm for the first time I came in with a typed list of 10 different prescriptions I had tried over the course of 10 years to cure my acne. Obviously I don't suggest that you wait 10 years, but the risks of accutane are worth trying a few other things first, since there's a good chance you will outgrow your acne. For me, at 25 years old, I'm pretty sure I'm not outgrowing it. :)

I had clear skin for about 18 months when I was 18/19 years old with Benzaclin and clear skin for another 18 months when I was 23/24 using topical Erythromycin. Topicals are great because they have a very low incidence of side effects. Maybe try either of those before trying accutane.

Good luck!

I agree, going straight to Accutane is not the answer.

There are many topical creams and antibiotics that you could try first. Also, make sure you're washing your face twice a day, moisturizing, and using sun screen. I can honestly say that was the best change I've ever made. I use Purpose gentle cleanser for face wash and Cerave for moisturizing. Both are extremely mild products that reduce inflammation in my experience.

I would recommend going to a derm, and discussing options first. Accutane should never be your first option. Especially since you are 14, hormones = acne for some people.

Good luck!

We can't give you the answer; only you can convince your derm you NEED Accutane.

People can be prescribed as young as 14, and they have. But you only need Accutane if it is your last resort and your acne is severe enough. Several whiteheads and a couple of other zits won't get you on tane. And if you have not tried anything else, your derm will not put you on tane. They will try something less extreme first.

We can't give you the answer; only you can convince your derm you NEED Accutane.

People can be prescribed as young as 14, and they have. But you only need Accutane if it is your last resort and your acne is severe enough. Several whiteheads and a couple of other zits won't get you on tane. And if you have not tried anything else, your derm will not put you on tane. They will try something less extreme first.