Notifications
Clear all

subcision after fillers?

MemberMember
(@sim)

Posted : 07/11/2009 4:38 am

hi,

I had some fillers injected into a scar that was caused by trauma but it does look like a acne/pock scar. the filler made

I say 60% inprovement but theres one area where it seems to be not even, the doctor even tried to inject that area directly (litrally) to raise it but it looks like its bound down under the skin, i was wondering if its still possible to perform a subcision even after fillers have been placed in?

MemberMember
(@andyc192)

Posted : 07/11/2009 5:15 am

hi there iam 1 day into recovery after having laser co2 resurfacing. it was called silk touch laser, i have a big bandage on my face, and when i use the ointment it burns like hell, i can say its so painfull, and annoying, i am scared incase i scar more or get an infection, wish me luck lol

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 07/11/2009 8:20 am

hi,

I had some fillers injected into a scar that was caused by trauma but it does look like a acne/pock scar. the filler made

I say 60% inprovement but theres one area where it seems to be not even, the doctor even tried to inject that area directly (litrally) to raise it but it looks like its bound down under the skin, i was wondering if its still possible to perform a subcision even after fillers have been placed in?

I would check with your doctor, but I think it may be entirely possible.

I am going back for my third round of subcision this Friday, July 17th and I've asked my dermatologist to inject some dermal filler after he performs subcision on my remaining scars.

I don't know why a physician would inject a rolling scar with a dermal filler without first breaking the fibrous bands holding down the epidermis. Doing subcision first and then injecting dermal filler right after the procedure seems to make more sense to me.

Just my opinion.......

MemberMember
(@sim)

Posted : 07/11/2009 8:45 am

hi there iam 1 day into recovery after having laser co2 resurfacing. it was called silk touch laser, i have a big bandage on my face, and when i use the ointment it burns like hell, i can say its so painfull, and annoying, i am scared incase i scar more or get an infection, wish me luck lol

i don't see how that has any relevence but goodluck on your treatment

I completly agree, I did suggest a subcision and he knew the procedure (i think) he still went ahead with the filler, it wasn't a big depression but it did bothered me
MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 07/11/2009 9:16 pm

hi,

I am going back for my third round of subcision this Friday, July 17th and I've asked my dermatologist to inject some dermal filler after he performs subcision on my remaining scars.

I don't know why a physician would inject a rolling scar with a dermal filler without first breaking the fibrous bands holding down the epidermis. Doing subcision first and then injecting dermal filler right after the procedure seems to make more sense to me.

Just my opinion.......

Hey how much downtime did you need after subcision?

I would also like to know if subcision can be done after a filler

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 07/12/2009 11:51 pm

hi,

Just my opinion.......

My (social) downtime after subcision was seven days. I was bruised for more than 10 days but after seven days I could cover the bruises with a concealer.

I asked my doc about doing the subcision after a filler. He said this would not be possible and the filler would be the last thing to do (after subcision and laser).

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 07/13/2009 12:58 pm

hi,

Just my opinion.......

My (social) downtime after subcision was seven days. I was bruised for more than 10 days but after seven days I could cover the bruises with a concealer.

I asked my doc about doing the subcision after a filler. He said this would not be possible and the filler would be the last thing to do (after subcision and laser).

I don't mean immediately after a filler injection, but can I get subcision done, say 1 or 2 months after a Restylane injection?

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 07/13/2009 2:57 pm

He said one would need to wait until the filler is completely gone before doing the subcision.

MemberMember
(@sim)

Posted : 07/15/2009 3:57 pm

thats good to know, thanks anyway.

though its almost been a week after my restylane touch injection, the initial results where good and i say lasted about 3 days before i saw the scar depression comming back and now its like i never had the injections! sometimes i think it was the swelling that made the scar improve TT

so i've concluded that its either,

1) restylene touch was too weak (even if it was week 4 days of results?) and i should try a larger hyaluronic acid product

2) give a different filler ago such as radiesse or sculpture

3) my body jsut breaks than HA too fast

4) give a permament filler ago....

any foodback would be great

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 07/15/2009 11:16 pm

Sim, I had the same problem as you when I was injected by a doctor. After 3-4 days, it looked as if I never even had a filler at all. I have since performed Restylane injections twice and have had much better results. I now have about a 50% improvement for most of my scars. I believe I can achieve even better results next time. Perlane is recommended for deeper scars by the way. I will be using Perlane next.

I wonder why subcision is not possible after a temporary filler injection.

MemberMember
(@sim)

Posted : 07/16/2009 4:08 am

Sim, I had the same problem as you when I was injected by a doctor. After 3-4 days, it looked as if I never even had a filler at all. I have since performed Restylane injections twice and have had much better results. I now have about a 50% improvement for most of my scars. I believe I can achieve even better results next time. Perlane is recommended for deeper scars by the way. I will be using Perlane next.

I wonder why subcision is not possible after a temporary filler injection.

hmmm, maybe i will give perlane ago and see, but i don't want to constantly waste money just to experiment and see the effects

i guess you can't subcise after filler cos maybe the filler can migrate or block healing and causing heamatomas but i haven't found any litrature pointing on why

MemberMember
(@rupert)

Posted : 07/16/2009 7:22 am

I too would like subcision after filler but know that I need to wait until my filler has completely gone. I had evolence breeze and the wait may be considerable - at least a year. My fill though was way better than people quoting here, at least about 80%. However scar veterans know that it is never enough. You won't be happy until the skin is totally flat and saying "I would be happy with 70% fill" is nonsense in practise when you get 70% fill or more. You will want more.

If anybody could answer this I would be grateful. People here talk about getting subcision with filler and speak as if it is done in the same session. This makes no sense to me. 1 minute after you have had a subcision your cheeks will be swollen out like a hamster. The idea of then injecting a filler is ridiculous. You have no idea where the scars are and no way of measuring how much you would need to fill. My question - when you talk about subcision + filler, are you having the subcision and then coming back 2 weeks later for the filler?

thanks.

MemberMember
(@fory0608)

Posted : 07/16/2009 9:40 am

I too would like subcision after filler but know that I need to wait until my filler has completely gone. I had evolence breeze and the wait may be considerable - at least a year. My fill though was way better than people quoting here, at least about 80%. However scar veterans know that it is never enough. You won't be happy until the skin is totally flat and saying "I would be happy with 70% fill" is nonsense in practise when you get 70% fill or more. You will want more.

If anybody could answer this I would be grateful. People here talk about getting subcision with filler and speak as if it is done in the same session. This makes no sense to me. 1 minute after you have had a subcision your cheeks will be swollen out like a hamster. The idea of then injecting a filler is ridiculous. You have no idea where the scars are and no way of measuring how much you would need to fill. My question - when you talk about subcision + filler, are you having the subcision and then coming back 2 weeks later for the filler?

thanks.

Yes I am confused about that also, how in the world can you inject with swelling? I guess it could be done if the scar was marked but even then you would not be able to tell if the scar was filling in due to the swelling, so I would wait 2 weeks after subcision myself.

MemberMember
(@rupert)

Posted : 07/16/2009 1:57 pm

^^^ i have had subcision and I just cannot see how a filler could be injected at the same time, yet I am sure I have read posts here where people claim this. The pressure of the swelling from the subcision would force the filler out of the needle holes from where it was injected. it would be a disaster.

MemberMember
(@improve)

Posted : 07/17/2009 11:48 am

Rupert,

I see you are having very good results in terms of length of correction with Evolence Breeze. Would you attribute that to the filler itself? I.e. have you had lengthy effects from Restylane too? Like more than 2 months? What I am interested in is, is it you that enjoys a lengthy effect from any filler, or is it really this kind of filler, based on animal collagen if I am not wrong, that makes the difference? Thanks.

Edit: apologies, this is a little OT, but could be of interest for many I think.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 07/17/2009 9:26 pm

^^^ i have had subcision and I just cannot see how a filler could be injected at the same time, yet I am sure I have read posts here where people claim this. The pressure of the swelling from the subcision would force the filler out of the needle holes from where it was injected. it would be a disaster.

Rupert:

After I read your e-mail, I re-thought my decision to have dermal filler injected after my subcision treatment today. What you had to say made a lot of sense due to the swelling that immediately begins after the first injection of anesthetic.

My doctor told me that he was glad that he had clearly marked my scars before he administered the anesthetic due to all of the swelling resulting from the first incision.

I had my third round of subcision today and will wait and see if I need dermal filler after I have a laser treatment later this year.

You saved me $500, so thank you very much!

Matt

MemberMember
(@rupert)

Posted : 07/18/2009 3:07 am

improve - it's the filler. Let me explain. The manufacturers of restylane could make it last say 4 times longer. How? By crosslinking the hyaluronic acid four times as much as they do at the moment. Why don't they? Because the cross linking chemical they use butanediol diglycidulether is very dangerous. The product is already cross linked as much as is deemed safe for the patient, the consequence of that being limited longevity. Evolence and evolence breeze are cross linked with ribose, a harmless sugar. This means they can cross link the filler as much as they like, making it last as long as they like. From my original injection in November I do not notice any decrease in fill. I have incidentally had another evolence breeze injection last month. This was for scars which had not been done the first time. Hope this helps. oh and btw, it is not all rosy. A 90% fill of scars does not equate to a 90% improvement in appearance. A common misconception that. Sure it is a lot flatter and looks better. But I don't think u will be happy until the skin looks completely unscarred.

mr matt - I know having spoken to a p surgeon a few years back that the scars will not re-tether back in the first 3 weeks after a subcision. I would say get your subcision, apply loads of ice and arnica cream, book yourself your filler appt for 2 weeks after the subcision. The swelling should have gone by then and the scars be visible again. Take your own pocket mirror with you and point out the scars you want filling. And once you have had your injections, don't be scared to get your mirror out again and point out any areas you feel could do with some more.

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 07/18/2009 6:20 am

Mr. Matt,

I believe it was a good idea to wait with the filler until after your last subcision and last laser treatment because the laser will destroy any filler that is present in the skin. Filling should be the last thing to do.

Btw: What is the minimum waiting time between subcisions? My doctor said three weeks. What is your opinion?

MemberMember
(@fory0608)

Posted : 07/18/2009 6:46 pm

Mr. Matt,

I believe it was a good idea to wait with the filler until after your last subcision and last laser treatment because the laser will destroy any filler that is present in the skin. Filling should be the last thing to do.

Btw: What is the minimum waiting time between subcisions? My doctor said three weeks. What is your opinion?

Actually I had 6 fraxel Sr at the 60-70 mjs after a filler. The filler is still there from 10 months ago. It had zero effect

MemberMember
(@thx)

Posted : 07/18/2009 7:04 pm

I think the idea of having a filler added immediately after subcision is to prevent the scar tissue from retethering. I don't think it is done to perfectly level the scar.

MemberMember
(@improve)

Posted : 07/19/2009 4:41 am

Hey Rupert, thanks for your answer! I had to look up some of the terms in Wikipedia, but I think I got the point ;) As for the "not happy until completely unscarred" I know what you mean, but I see fillers as one of the most concrete means in that direction. I know, the scars will be in a sense more visible because they will rise to the surface. So the texture will look more uneven, but for a male this might give an acceptable "rude" effect, which in a way is the least bad. What are your plans beyond fillers to further improve your skin?

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 07/19/2009 5:25 am

Actually I had 6 fraxel Sr at the 60-70 mjs after a filler. The filler is still there from 10 months ago. It had zero effect

That's good news because a couple of doctors told me that Fraxel would dissolve the filler.

What filler do you use?

MemberMember
(@fory0608)

Posted : 07/19/2009 6:50 pm

That's good news because a couple of doctors told me that Fraxel would dissolve the filler.

What filler do you use?

I used Perlane two weeks before any fraxels. Actually my dr told me the laser would seal in the filler. And boy did it ever - I wish it had dissolved it cuz it only donuted around my scars

MemberMember
(@frax1)

Posted : 07/20/2009 1:29 am

I wish it had dissolved it cuz it only donuted around my scars

Do you have rolling or icepick scars?

MemberMember
(@fory0608)

Posted : 07/21/2009 1:20 pm

I wish it had dissolved it cuz it only donuted around my scars

Do you have rolling or icepick scars?

I have rolling. By the way does anyone on this thread know of a dr in the northeast who dissolves restylane?